I'm new, and my car has problems.

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  I'm new, and my car has problems.

Well, long story short, my car (1997 Galant) has had a history of a slow leak in the cooling system. Every month or so, I must re-fill the system with coolant/water. In addition, the A/C no longer works, the belts squeek when the A/C is on, and the heater doesn't always blow hot. No big deal for now...I'm graduating soon so I'd like to put off any major repairs untill I have a better paying job.

Last night, my car starts to overheat. Not too worried, it's happened before. Well, I start to head back home. I cranked the heater and it's blowing cold air. Wierd. The temperature gauge returns to normal temp, my car starts knocking and dies. The car is smoking/steaming from the water pump area. I let it cool and fill it up with water and drive it about a mile to my house. I re-fill it this morning, drive to work. 10 minutes after getting to work, all the water is in the street, apparently pouring out of the, what I THINK is the water pump. I also have a substantial oil leak now as well.

Do you think the oil link is somehow related in all of this? Perhaps the block is cracked?

posted by  sicksixx6

your water pump bolts to the timing cover/engine block yes its posiable the water pump going and cracking the timing cover/block
you said the engine was knocking was it still knocking on your way to work if so the overheating has done other damage to the engine you may want to look for a new engine or a new car
if no knock then you will find out where the oil leak is when you/repair shop tear into the water pump :thumbs:

i have gone as far as to rename mitsubishi/makeyoubitchy :cussing:
1999 3.0L caravan

posted by  osborste

No knocking this morning. Runs fine as far as I can tell, no warning lights or anything. It's odd that the leak is on the other side of the engine. I guess we'll see.

posted by  sicksixx6

the overheating may have baked a seal/gasket you said other side closer towards transmission or back of the engine/firewall

posted by  osborste

Yeah..the water pump is on the right hand side, and the trans is on the left. There is a substantial amount of oil in/around the left side...can't locate the source right now

posted by  sicksixx6

twin cam model 2.4L right check the rear cam seals(round rubber caps) and head gasket the overheating may have expanded the metal enough to lossen the grip on the seals and fallen out pushed out by oil pressure

posted by  osborste

we're ganna get it towed to the shop. Who knows. Car is only worth 2000 dollars. Ehhhh. Still can't see where the damn oil is coming from.

posted by  sicksixx6

The Galants were just big problem cars. I would suggest no running it any more and taking it to a shop. Just get a new car man, it will cost you more to fix it than it will to buy a new car.

posted by  FordFromHell351

Your Message