cold air and blow-off valve which one should i get

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  cold air and blow-off valve which one should i get

i have a 97' eclipse gsx and was wondering what is the best cold-air intake system to get. i would like to get the whole packeage intake and blow-off value.

posted by  bulletproofx


Wow. Cold air intakes do not involve blow-off valves. Those come with turbo kits. Cold-air intake system? Both K&N and AEM are respectable comapnies, check out their sites and find some applications.

Also, call a local tuner garage and see what they recommend.

posted by  Godlaus

He probably thinking air bypass valve.

While your on the AEM website, check out the V2 intake. Depending on what car you have, it can double the amount of power that the CAI would produce.

posted by  Accord_Man

for your car i would suggest the AEM V2 CAI. its a bit pricey but the physics of the its design speaks for itself. If u want something a little bit cheaper try INJEN. they are reliable and they sound awesome too

posted by  CivicSi

what kinda physics are we talking about?

posted by  CarEXPERT

yeah, if it speaks for itself it should be easy enough to explain...
please fill us in.

posted by  windsonian

a CAI on any turbocharged vechile is not worth the expense. A shorter tube runner with the larger filter with some heat shielding protecting it from engine heat would be more beneifitial. More air gets to the turbo and faster that way and the heat from the engine affecting the air coming in is reduced. The temp differences seen by a CAI going through the turbocharger fantango is basically unnoticeable. the turbo is going to heat the air up about 200 or more degrees. the 20 - 40 degree difference will be lost on the way through the tube (all ready conducting engine heat ) and on into the compressor side.

so. dont waste your money on the CAI.

posted by  Low Impedance

Would it be better to just put the filter right on the inlet of the turbo than put the pipe and then the filter? Wouldnt this speed up throttle response or anything?

posted by  CarEXPERT

I may be wrong but i think that with the pipe, the air is a little more compressed and is directed right at the opening to the turbo. If the filter was attached right at the turbo inlet then yes, air would flow to it but not an as concentrated flow (stream) into the opening. Your more likely to get more air this way then you would with it directly attached. But like i said i may be wrong and if thats the case i hope someone corrects me so i know for future reference. :mrgreen:

posted by  car_crazy89

depends. ever notice that many large turbos (like a t88) do not have anything to attach a filter too? because the filter would be a restriction. granted you still should but for headlong racing apps for drag racing, they dont bother. I use a tube becuase i have things plumbed into it and a MAF sensor to deal with.

posted by  Low Impedance

all intakes are the same (IMO)...they are pipes w/ different brand names...nothing too complicated.

posted by  nissanTFsx

Congrats on the 'X. Well, all of the intake theories are great, but there's a fundamental issue with some of them for this particular application. The Mitsubishi fuel injection system has the MAF in between the air filter and the turbo. The MAF cannot be relocated to the pressure side of the turbo. So, you cannot mount a filter directly to the turbo, nor can you really run a very short pipe with a filter on the end of it (the MAF is rather huge on the DSM's).

Now, if you do a GM MAF conversion (which goes in the intercooler pipe), then you can do any of these possible theories. The MAF Translator (MAFT) is made by RamCharger and allows Mitsubishi to speak General Motors (since they clearly aren't the same language to begin with :wink2: )

Personally, after I get DSMLink and a 3" GM MAF I'm going to run a pipe straight out of the turbo inlet to where the stock SMIC sits, which is in direct cold air during driving. But that will occur after suspension/chassis/track wheels/track tires, etc. If it ain't broke don't fix it first.

Good luck

posted by  Bino

I would get a K&N or Injen cold air intake system. Blow-off valves have nothing to do with cold air intake systems though.

posted by  FordFromHell351

Your Message