Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Car Audio

i just wanted to know what some of the car audio "lingos" specificly meant

*ohms
*watts
*RMS
*mono, 2, and multi channel amps

thanks

posted by  ciVicman

I'll keep it as simple as possible... (Once you take a physics class it'll help)

Ohms = measure of output for resistance (most speakers today have 4ohm or dual 4ohm Voice Coils)

watts = measure of power handling/output (Go by RMS not MAX)

RMS = continuous power (what the speaker can handle all the time)

mono amp = one distinct channel of sound (most HU's have 4 channels, mono amps are made for driving subwoofers)

2-channel amp = two distinct channels of sound (use it for driving components or bridged to drive sub(s))

4-channel amp = four distinct channels of sound (use it for main speakers almost all the time {co-ax or components})

posted by  thunderbird1100

give that man a cigar i couldnt have said it better

posted by  CivicSi

you kinda missed one...

4 channel amp was good....

but he asked for multi channel :wink2:

multi-channel amplifier: generally used to drive a single subwoofer, and a pair of speakers, higher end amps can handle two pairs of speakers and a subwoofer....

posted by  dodgerforlife

pretty good, I'd probably explain resistance slightly differently to someone who didn't understand it.... I'll give it a go anyway.

Electrical Resistance is measured in ohms, much like distance is measured in metres. (or meters for you state-siders). It measures how difficult it is to pass electricity through an object. For example, a wire has very low resistance, that's why the electricity passes straight through to whatever you're powering (eg speaker). On the other hand, a length of string has a very, very high resistance, so if you tried to hook up your speakers with string instead of wire, they wouldn't work because not enough (or no) electrical current is getting through.

Another example is water flowing through a hose. A big hose has small resistance, a small hose has big resistance.

Now, more specifically to car audio:

A head unit output is basically where you plug a speaker into the head unit. Generally 1 channel (see previous post)
Each head unit output is designed for a speaker with a certain resistance. If the resistance of the speaker is too low, then too much electricity is allowed to pass through it and you'll blow the speaker, but if the speaker's resistance is too high, not enough will pass through and the sound won't be as loud, and you'll tend to get a quiet, and sometimes muffled sound.

Does this make sense?

Otherwise look up the basics of electrical circuits on howstuffworks or something similar.

posted by  windsonian

Your Message