muahahaha Progress!

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  muahahaha Progress!

to get an idea of what i have been through on this car ill give you before an after photos of each ordeal...The car was bought without an interior, most of the EFI parts missing, cut throttle cable, no ic, bad radiator, etc etc etc. Was a former failed Carb conversion that never ran. but does have a supposed rebuild. :bigthumb:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Tsunami_Bomb/s-front.jpg

Interior

BEFORE: -no carpet, seats, working window regs, seat belts, bins or anything at all...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Tsunami_Bomb/s02006.jpg

AFTER: all 100% complete

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Tsunami_Bomb/s-inside.jpg

Engine:

BEFORE: this isnt the worse pic. originally, there was no alt, bad waterpump, most of the electronics where missing. no fan....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Tsunami_Bomb/s02005.jpg

AFTER: complete! just need to connect one fuel line underneath the car.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Tsunami_Bomb/sengine.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Tsunami_Bomb/s-engine2.jpg

posted by  Low Impedance

Nice job!

posted by  ChrisV

you put a lot of work into that car.. congrats on a job that seems well done, by the pictures. I hope she runs good for ya.

posted by  Flame Roller

Looks nice! Congrats!

posted by  StiMan

Yeah, you're doing an incredibly good job! :thumbs: I'd like to see West Coast Customs pimp that ride... lol. No offense.

posted by  moostang104314

hehe, nice job.

did u use a puller to get the steering wheel out? or just took out the nut at the end of the shaft and pulled out the wheel? (i still havent taken out my steering wheel)

posted by  Inygknok

sweeet!!

posted by  windsonian

i removed the nut, popped the wheel off and put the nut back on so i didnt lose it. easy as hell for me.

posted by  Low Impedance

Nice job!!! :mrgreen: :thumbs:

But you know what I think when I look at that large engine bay?

SHE NEEDS A BIGGER ENGINE BABY!!!!

posted by  FordFromHell351

like a 20B-REW! :thumbs:

posted by  Low Impedance

The cars looking great :thumbs:

posted by  Eclipse_2004

Lol, what a typical american car manufacturer response;

"UP THE DISPLACEMENT BABY! Variable valve timing?, what the hell is that? Turbo? How the hell do you know my dog's name?"

No V8 for you, impedance?

posted by  Godlaus

if im going bigger...its going to be adding more rotors. :mrgreen:

posted by  Low Impedance

C'mon Godlaus! Typical American response?

Who's idea was it to make Porsche 911s get increasingly larger engines, so that they aren't running 2 liter flat 6s like they did from '65-70? WHo
s idea has it been to make Civics no longer have 1200 cc engines? (or even up the displacement from the 600 cc engine in the N600 to the Civic's 1200 cc engine in '73?) How come Accords don't have 1500cc engines as the base engine anymore? Why is it the 350Z and not the 240Z anymore? How come Ferrari's base engine isn't a 2 or 3 liter V8 like it used to be? How come BMW's top engine isn't a 2 liter 4 cyl like it used to be? How come the ultra fast, collectable Mercedes 300 SL with a 3 liter 6 cyl grew up into the 6 liter v12 powered SL600?

I'm getting sick and tired of the "joke" that it's an "American" response to make engines bigger. ALL tuners from ALL countries will make engines bigger for better power given the opportunity. ALL of them.

posted by  ChrisV

A joke..that's what it's supposed to be.

And the reason i say that, is because america is known for making huge displacement engines. They don't utilise things such as variable vale timing, ATTESSA-ETS, etc. etc. (atleast, to the extent of my knowledge). They up the displacement, which is the easiest way to make power. (well, next to forced induction). The 350 motors of the past before the clean air act came into play were 5.6 liters, and the 454 engines were as around 8 liters.

I guess it's a communication problem, I'm not playing at upping the displacement, but upping it to insane amounts.

Not many Japanese cars are above 4 liters. They use things like turbos, variable valve, electronic controls, etc. etc. instead of upping the displacement. (I believe this is because of tighter emissions laws?). America is known for having huge displacements. Plain and simple.

American
Caddillac CTS-V = 4.4 liters
Chevrolet C6 Z06 = 7 liters
Chevrolet Base C6 = 6 liters
Chevrolet Camaro SS = 5.7 liters
Dodge Viper SRT-10 = 8 liters
Ford GT = 5.4 liters
Ford Mustang GT/Cobra = 4.6 liters
Pontiac GTO = 6 liters
Saleen S7 = 7 liters

Japanese
Acura NSX = 3.2 liters
Acura Integra R = 1.8 liters
Honda Civic Si = 2 liters
Honda S2000 = 2.2 liters
Mazda RX-7 = 1.3 liters
Mazda RX-8 = 1.3 liters
Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 = 3 liters
Mitsubish evo 8 = 2 liters
Nissan 350Z = 3.5 liters
Nissan 300ZX = 3 liters
Toyota Supra = 3 liters

German
BMW M3 = 3.2 liters
BMW M5 = 4.9 liters
BMW M6 = 5 liters
Porsche 911 Carrera = 3.6 liters
Porsche 911 GT3 = 3.6 liters
Porsche 911 Turbo = 3.6 liters
Porsche Boxster S = 3.2 liters
Porsche Carrera GT = 5.8 liters
Volkswagen Golf R32 = 3.2 liters
Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG = 6 liter
Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren = 5.4 liters
Mercedes-Benz CLS 55 AMG = 5.4 liters

Italian
Ferrari Enzo = 6 liters
Ferrari 612 Scaglietti = 5.7 liters
Ferrari F50 = 4.7 liters
Ferrari F430 = 4.3 liters
Ferrari 360 = 3.5 liters
Lamborghini Diablo GTR = 6 liters
Lamborghini Gallardo = 5 liters
Lamborghini Murcielago = 6.2 liters

Sorry, I'm pretty steadfast on this one.

posted by  Godlaus

the problem is that you're too elitist to think that upping the displacement is a viable way of building engines. And whether we're talking about Porsche going from 2 liters to 3.6 liters, or Corvettes going from 5.7 to 7 liters, it's the same effect that the engine builders are going for: increasing the powerband making more power, more useably.

And it's used to insult engine that you think are "too big" as though somehow overstressing some tiny little engine, making it more complex and more expensive, is somehow a better (or more elegant) engineering solution to getting a job done. It's merely a different way to do it, and that's IT.

It's a retarded joke that wore out it's welcome a decade ago.

posted by  ChrisV

Elitist. Wow, never been called that before. But, let's face it, American cars aim to do the same thing that japanese, italian, and German cars aim to do. Go fast, no matter how they can make their car do that. American's tendancy is to create insanely large displacement motors, while overseas aim for smaller engines with revs (rotary), or the implementation of more advanced systems. The same joke is made toward japanese cars, that they are tiny little things that are a metaphor for something else.

The point still stands though, american cars aim for large displacement, others don't. I guess I did originally think that technology implemented is better than displacement,as you can implement that technology in larger displacement motors, but what the hell. Whatever gets the job done, right?

posted by  Godlaus

Correct - it's DIFFERENT.

You're allowed to have your preferences, but they are both totally reasonable ways to improve car performance. Not engine performance, car performance. The engine is just there to drive the car, so regardless of what engine is in it, if the hunk of metal is fast, agile etc, then the engineering is good.

posted by  windsonian

I must say that all companies from all countries up displacement, but America is the country from which many of the ultra large displacement vehicles are coming from. The Porsche boost of 2 liters to 3.6 liters isnt as large a difference as a 5.7 to 7 liters. Granted thats a 1.6 liter boost in the Porsche to 1.3 in the Corvette, but the fact is that a 3.6 liter is no where near as large as a 7 liter engine. Americans go for fierce power (and use this to an increadibly useful degree) but other countries go for larger engines and lighter cars. It is as simple as that, so really both of you are right. :thumbs:
They use different methods to get the job done.

posted by  StiMan

I guess with GM and Ford sales flagging and the junk bond status of their shares, with Toyota set to become the dominant worldwide leader there will be a tendancy away from the "no replacement for displacement" mentality. It might even force fuel companies to provide the US domestic market with something better than tar as the base petrol/deisel fuels.

posted by  Wally

Question, why do big liter engines waste more fuel than a smaller one going at the same speed and RPM?

posted by  CarEXPERT

to that i say my TII will use more fuel than most v8s. about half the mileage of a LS1.....

that and may i say, forum terrorists HIJACKED MY THREAD! bastards :laughing:

posted by  Low Impedance

bigger cylinders = more fuel each cycle.

posted by  windsonian

How about F=ma ?

posted by  Wally

... or V=IR for the sparkologists.

posted by  windsonian

or FU2=FuN*2 for the whiners and those who ask questions when they are supposed to do it in the threads they were given for their own questions in the first place.....

posted by  Inygknok

The difference is one is using the joke about Americans being the ones to up displacement as a means of insulting that method of making power.

And it doesn't take into account simple regional differences like $5 gallon fuel or regulations TAXING larger displacement engines that have ZERO to do with better engineering.

EVERY engine builder worldwide will go with upping the displacement to make better, more useable power if they are allowed to. Even companies that can use modern tech to get the same power from smaller engines are using larger engines than ever before. So the "joke" is tired and unfunny.

posted by  ChrisV

Really? Then why is even TOYOTA getting ever larger engines in their production vehicles?

posted by  ChrisV

ur right, and a damn good job they are doing at it if i may say so. in fact, they have larger engines (excluding the scions which still have pretty small engines) and they still manage to get even better fuel mileage than before.

true, its thanks to the technology, but its completely legal and permitted (and good for our wallets).

personally, i have no problem with toyota making larger engines, even if the changes are not that drastic. as long as they keep their reputation climbing the way they have been doing so for so many years, im fine with it.

posted by  Inygknok

Did I, or did I not precursor my comment with the word "guess"? Did I say anything about your authoritive post... well no I wouldn't because I didn't read it and still haven't.

Simple truth is on average Toyota production engines are very efficient. If consumer wants are for large tanks like Landcruisers or ugly POS sedans like Avalon then obviously there comes a limit to an engines reliability before displacement increase is needed. On the other hand their hybrid car is currently in such high demand in the US because of the fuel price bite, that your good citizens are paying more for a scarce secondhand unit rather than wait the 6 months until the next shipment of new left hand drive ones arrive...where is the displacement increase with these cars.

Reading the reasons for GM and Ford's present problems, it appears they made the wrong decision in making fuel thirsty vehicles instead of lower displacement fuel efficient ones and now have a problem shifting stock. I guess what I read was wrong?

posted by  Wally

OOOO... owned.

posted by  StiMan

Your Message