My first car, i need suggestions

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  My first car, i need suggestions

hey guys, I'm 15 and I'm looking for a good first car. I need something moddable, fast, and cheap. Any suggestions???

posted by  TurboLag

What's your goal and what's your budget?

posted by  NISSANSPDR

Well, i dont have much now, It's almost summer so I'm going to be getting 1 or 2 jobs, I'm really impatient so almost anything will do. maybe a 94-97 civic or an integra. But I'm really shootin for a VR4 :laughing:

posted by  TurboLag

I'll take suggestions from anyone, just don't leave me hangin here, I'm in the middle of class :wink2: :sleep: :thumbs:

posted by  TurboLag

So basically you only have a few bucks. :hi:

posted by  DodgeRida67

Don't get a VR4, they're not cheap to buy or maintain. Plus, they have a lot of power, but they weigh entirely too much.

posted by  Bino

Well i only have about 300 bucks, I'd have more if i actually got paid an allowance, but thats just from holiday money and stealing from my friends :mrgreen:.
I could always tear some stuff off the vr4, i dont like big soundsystems or anything non performance, I'd probably rip out the a/c and all other things that add weight

posted by  TurboLag

but what other low budget cars would you guys suggest?

posted by  TurboLag

A 5.0L or 4.6L Mustang. Very reliable, very quick, and definatly moddable! :mrgreen:

posted by  FordFromHell351

I would looooove a V8, but i'm not a big fan of the foxbody style of those mustangs. I would settle for a 94 though. But if i had a choice I would probably take a 99 Z28, Im lovin the 5.7Litre engines

posted by  TurboLag

At 15, a fast car is a BAD idea. A great way to kill yourelf if you haven't been out to the track to build up your skill. And even if the car is inexpensive, any fast car owned by a 15-16 year old will be hell to insure.

Teenage boys get testosterone flowing through them and want huge amounts of power and think they can control it all with no training. I got lucky, in that I started out with a slow car (a 2 liter Pinto with automatic) and went to the track to learn how to drive it. I had also been go karting and had already learned car control skills (and no, Playstation doesn't count). Only THEN did I move on to a more powerful car.

Trust me, your first car needs to be SLOW and moddable, not FAST and moddable.

posted by  ChrisV

ChrisV has again hit the nail on the head. A fast car means higher insurance and if u got a cheep performance car, think about how many miles might be on it. High miles means replacing a lot of parts. If there is a newer engine in it and the chassis had high miles on it, then you would be looking at transmission, suspension, brakes, wheels, bushings, and little assorted things to repair.

posted by  99integra

First car or not, I'll worry about my driving skills. What would be a suitable car that won't hurt my wallet that is worthy of tuning? I'm not worried about maintanance or the miles on it. And if I crash and/or blow up I'll admit that you guys were right. But it's nice to know you all are so concerned about me :hi:. lol jk

posted by  TurboLag

Same song I always sing... a '90-'94 Eclipse GSX or GS-T, or an Eagle Talon TSI, or a Plymouth Laser RS-Turbo. All can be had very cheaply (especially the Laser). There is an abundant aftermarket and they are quick stock. You can learn to handle the stock power (~200hp) and then as you add go-fast goodies you can learn to drive it every step of the way.

All three cars are identicle except for the little thing in between the headlights and the taillights are different, otherwise they're the exact same car. I would like to find a Laser RS because insurance is hella cheap compared to the others. The Talon is significantly less to insure than the Eclipse as well.

posted by  Bino

Doesn't matter, if you gut the interior and pull the A/C you'll still weigh more than any performance car on the road.

posted by  Bino

You sound just like Supra's Are Gay :banghead:

posted by  99integra

I would love to have a talon tsi awd, anything awd would be primo. how much horsepower did the 94 talon have stock?

posted by  TurboLag

195 horses

posted by  99integra

not too shabby, they have nice lines. Gotta love the awd turbo. Too bad that it takes so much horsepower just to do a good burnout in one

posted by  TurboLag

Except I think Supra's rock. There's no denying the performance/dollar ratio of a DSM.

posted by  Bino

My personal opinion would be a integra or maybe an old 300zx, 240sx, 280z all nissan

posted by  99integra

So true :smoke:

posted by  99integra

I think a Supra is just a liiiittle out of my price range, but I'd kill for one. I would really like a 300zxTT or a 240sx, Although i speak high of AWD I would take rear-wheel drive over AWD. even though AWD gets to 60 alot faster.

Alright, I think I'm done for the day guys, thanks, Ill be back tomorrow

posted by  TurboLag

I'm also a big fan of the circa ~92 Integra GSR... nothing wrong with havin' a B17 under the hood. There's a good chance I'll own one of those someday.

posted by  Bino

Typical self centered BS. You'll worry about your driving skills? So will everyone who has to share the road with you. At 15, you think you're effin invincible and ├╝ber-skilled, and that you're the only one affected by your actions. The only thing that matters is what you want, not what's best. And every 15 year old wants a supercar, and think they can handle the power when street racing.

Get something slow, take it to the track, and work up to it.

posted by  ChrisV

Possibly an older Integra GSR (94-97ish)? Not too fast, but handle extremely well. Fun engine to mod too.

posted by  thunderbird1100

Exactly, unless you know how to handle a car with an excessive amount of power dont get one.

posted by  FordFromHell351

1994+ Honda Prelude Si VTEC, gets you to 60 mph in 6.7 seconds stock. You could probably find one for a decent price, in good condition.

posted by  hondaman

Buddy, you're in maryland. It's not like you're anywhere near me. Plus, I never said anything about road racing or a supercar.Thanks for your concern but when my forehead's through a windshield, I'll consult you. By the way, my track is called I-79 :fu:. If you don't like what I'm asking, just go to a different thread!

posted by  TurboLag

Dude :fu: if the kid wants to go fast why the hell would you care, like he said ur in Maryland so if hes doin120 400 miles away i don't think it will affect u at all.

posted by  5speedIntegra

thunderbird1100, any chance you could send me some pics of ur 300zx?

posted by  TurboLag

hey douche bag im sittin in a class two doors down from you and why don't you juss get that civic u were talkin about

posted by  5speedIntegra

It would be nice to have a prelude, especially the 2001 model. But god knows i can't pull 25 grand out of my ass

posted by  TurboLag

You little twat, all he is saying is he doesn't want the kid to kill himself and I agree so f*** off noob. :fu:

posted by  99integra

Try one of the mid-90s (94, 95, 96 or so.) You can get that performance for considerably less money.

posted by  hondaman

A lot of people on this board are concerned about more than themselves. If Joe ass-clown new-driver goes out and buys some fast car and then loses control at a high speed and slams into Jill house-mom delivering the kids to soccer practice... nobody wins, most likely innocent people die, and nobody wants some inexperienced driver on the road in a high performance car.

So stop arguing ignorance with ignorance. Ignorance + ignorance = a bunch of f'n morons.

posted by  Bino

i have an 89 civic hb as my first car, im glad i astarted with a slower car, i ahev already came close to killing myself.. you may want a fast car now and blah blah blah but it helps out in the long run. i bought my car for 2 grand. started it stock, got used to driving stick, started modding it.. and a year later im ready for a new engine.. so trust me a slower car does do alot.. plus slower cars are less expensive.. so if u crash it, its no big deal. i thrash my car and i mess up this engine only because i know know i have a new engine on its way. its your first car i think you should get something you can enjoy and thrash the hell out of, then when you get out of high school get a nice, quick car. first cars are meant to be crashed. remember that when your crying because you spent all of your money on a quick car you couldnt control...

posted by  C c C

So you are calling me a moron for having thought that the safety for some 15 year old :banghead:

posted by  99integra

Whatever you wrote isn't a language I speak. But I didn't see anything terribly ignorant that you posted in this thread.

posted by  Bino

Well I talked to my dad and I'll probably end up getting his 86 saab 9000 turbo, its got some meats in the front and a giant turbo, not to mention the 3 inch steal exhaust :laughing: . Its pushin 220hp at like 7 pounds of boost. It'll take like 14. He blew his last turbo spankin a mustang gt :thumbs: . So hopefully I'll at least get that

posted by  TurboLag

I'd say buy a Pinto,cause their cheap and light.
You could probaly buy one for 300 bucks. And then you get the fuel injection and turbo off a Merkur, Mustang, or a Thunderbird and get a easy 175 horse car thats cheap. And there pretty easy to get to 200hp with just a couple mods.

posted by  x1/9-rally

Turbo Joe Morgan showed how to build a 10 second turbo Pinto using those parts. For a couple grand total. I used to autocros a Pinto successfully (they have excellent suspension). Combine the two and you could embarrass a lot of newer cars for dirt cheap.

posted by  ChrisV

Well I'm still open for suggestions. I'll keep you guys posted on the latest

posted by  TurboLag

Unfortunatley not at the moment, I still have yet to take the plunge into the digital age of cameras and my scanner is about 5 years old and scans about as well as an urban school's copier.

posted by  thunderbird1100

I feel your pain :banghead:

posted by  TurboLag

240sx would be nice to start with...bout 150HP with da stock 2.4 DOHC egine.
And they are not that expensive unless u are buying them from :guns: da dealers (hate 'em). Its RWD also, pretty fun to drive. Might be a bit more risky to drive when its raining, but u are not even supposed to drive fast in da rain anyways.

Lata, u can either Turbo the KA motor or get a SR (Silvia) or RB (Skyline) motors for ur 240 :mrgreen: IMO, 240's are the cheapest way to have power.

but since u only have $300(which is not even enough to buy a 240sx shell), u can start with a nice mountain bike with 300 bux :laughing: ...j/k

good luck finding ur car

posted by  nissanTFsx

Thanks man, How much would a limited slip differential cost for a 240? They dont have posi-trac do they? I know a guy whos cousin dropped a silvia in his 240, it sounds sick

posted by  TurboLag

Your Message