whats the difference between the D16, B16, and B18 on a civic?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  whats the difference between the D16, B16, and B18 on a civic?

can someone tell me what the D16, B16, and B18 engines are?

what are their liters?

is the D16 the 1.6 liter?

posted by  Fan_Blender

what now i don't understand your language tell me what they are?????????????????????????????????????????

posted by  google.com

I believe that the number is referiing to the litres, my motor is a20 and is a 2.0 litre, i am not sure about the letter at the front though.

posted by  jarvisx2000

They're engines :laughing:

posted by  99integra

does anyone know what the letter stands for?

posted by  Fan_Blender

nope i don't

posted by  google.com

The letters are the engine "family" (a group of engines from one manufacturer that share key design elements and parts). Generally parts from one in that family interchange with another. Every manufacturer has different names for the various engine types they make. Kind of the same way there are chassis names for the different years and models of most cars, and everythign with that chassis name is related, even if the model name or year is different.

So for this example, the D16 is of a different family than the B16, but the B16 and B18 are from the same family. Honda has a good history of engine interchangeability even between families, however, but it gives you the basic idea.

In Honda's case, the numbers relate to the engine displacement. Ihis is true for some manufacturers, but not for all, and not necesarily for all Hondas (for example, the EB1, EB2 and EB3 are engine names for the 1.2 liter engines in the '73-79 Civic 1200s and the number has nothing to do with displacement any more than the number 1 does in the LT1/LS1 engine families by GM)

posted by  ChrisV

how can i tell if the 1.6 liter is a D?

posted by  Fan_Blender

the Japanese are really good at putting the engine desgination right on the block. But just to glance at it, the 1.6 liter SOHC engines are D16s, while the B16 is a DOHC engine, with one exception, the '86-89 Integra D16A1 which is a DOHC engine.

As far as I can tell, there are at least 8 versions of the D16, one of which is DOHC.

posted by  ChrisV

the number stands for the amount of liter's it is. for ex. d16 is 1.6 liters, b20 is 2.0 liters. h22 is 2.2 liters. and so on... all integra's motors are 1.8 liters so it has to be a b18. civic motors are b16 or d16 cause they are 1.6 liters.

posted by  silvia_star

Not all integra motors are 1.8 litres and not all civics are 1.6 litres.

posted by  jarvisx2000

ChrisV, I've driven a Accord Ex 95 the other day and it was Vtec and I drove it and floor it but I couldnt feel the vtec? Is it because the SOHC vtec is much sucks than a DOHC?

posted by  CarEXPERT

well i meant that all of the civic's motor's are 1.6 liters and down. and integra's are mostly 1.8 liters.

posted by  silvia_star

92-95 Civic = 1.5L
96-00 Civic = 1.6L
01-05 Civic = 1.7L
06+ Civic = Supposedly 1.8L

94+ Integra = 1.8L
Pre-94 Integra = 1.6L/1.7L/1.8L pending year/model

posted by  thunderbird1100

HAHHAHA your stupid!!

posted by  CarEXPERT

Tell me how he is stupid? :ticking:

posted by  99integra

smarter then you...STUPID!!! :screwy:

posted by  silvia_star

My a$$ is smarter than him :laughing:

posted by  99integra

He's stupid enough to post that and not spell *you're* correctly :laughing:

posted by  thunderbird1100

I dont know but that is a good question if someone gets back to you on let me know. Ok?
:hi:

posted by  Flirtyboy04

There are different forms of VTEC. Some are for more performance, and some are simply for more economy or smoothness (where the cam profile of the upper rpm cam simply continues teh power production of the lower rpm cam without giving a huge gain. On a SOHC setup, it's only going to work one side anyhow). You're not going to feel a huge differnce when it switches cams every time. It simply won't fall on it's face early like it would without VTEC.

People have this mistaken impression that VTEC is ONLY a high performance enhancement or "power adder" and it's not. It's a method of switching between two cam profiles for a wider powerband than would normally be avaialble with a small engine. And even in the performance versions, it's really a method of restoring driveability at low rpms that the performance cam lobes wouldn't have if you just used the upper rpm cam (like performance cars used before VTEC)

posted by  ChrisV

Your Message