Engine names

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Engine names

What do the numbers and letters in car engines mean? Such as 4G63, B16 or R32? I know that for some the numbers are the litres (B16 1.6L), but I don't know what R32, 4G63, or 420A means. Someone please clear this up for me.

posted by  TurboLag

b16 is hondas duel cam 1.6 litre vtec engine

4g63... i really dont know...

and r32 isnt a motor... the skyline motors are rb20, rb25, and rb26 and theyre inline 6 engines that come in 2, 2.5, and 2.6 litres. then D=duel cam, E= fuel injection, and T or TT stands for turbo or twin turbo

posted by  mazda6man

...so basically the auto makers use codes to describe the engines... technically theyre not engine names, but engine codes

posted by  mazda6man

sometimes they do mean something, such as the RB actually means Racing Bred in the skyline engines.

posted by  Inygknok

Well, they have to name the motors something. There's not really any good reason why they call it a Mitsubishi Eclipse, they just had to come up with a name for the car. Same thing with the engine. I'm sure internally Mitsubishi has some logic for the number/letter combo, but I sure don't know what it is.

The 4G** is a line of motors. There's the 4G63/Eclipse, the 4G61/Mirage, the 4G93/I forget, the 4G64/2.4L Eclipse, etc. And the 3000GT V6 motor is the 6G72. Basically any 4G motor can be swapped out relatively easily for another 4G motor (there's a fairly high number of Mirages running around with a 4G63).

http://www.lilevo.com/body_index.html

posted by  Bino

hmmm....can't seem to delete post. :banghead:

posted by  Who?

4g63 is the engine from 1st gen eclipses/talons/lasers and 2nd gen eclipse GSXs/Talon TSis. Good luck finding out what it even means.

4g64 is the engine from the Eclipse Spider from 2nd gen and all Eclipses from 3rd gen.

posted by  Oomba

Your Message