240SX: Is It Worth It

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  240SX: Is It Worth It

Okay, i was looking around and i came across two Nissan 240SX. They are not sold together or located in the same place.

The first is a 1990 Nissan 240SX, all it says is: Thousands spent on new parts, starter, alt., tires, tank, timing chain, etc. $500 obo. (does not say mileage).

The second is a 1993 Nissan 240SX, it goes as: Manual, pw, pl, has front end damage. Eng. is still good, eng. back is in mint cond., good parts car, quick fix. 190,000 km. $350 obo.

I only have a small pic of the 1993 240SX

I was just wondering that if i was to buy what should i do, buy the 1990 240SX, 1993 240SX, or both? I'll be happy to listen to any and all opinions. Thanx for your help.

posted by  car_crazy89

Personally I would buy both and part one out or use it as a parts car for the 1990 or vise-versa. Test drive both and see which one looks and drives decent and get that one if you don't want to buy both. Ask the people if they have all the maintenence records, repair costs, etc.. Why would you not want to get a better first car? :2cents:

posted by  99integra

What do you mean by a 'better first car'? I myself love older cars but havent found anything nice and cheap. I'm only 15 so i cant drive yet anyways so theres no chance of me test driving them and also the 1993 has some front end damage.

posted by  car_crazy89

What I mean is why not find one that doesn't have any front end damage and has less miles

posted by  99integra

Oh okay, well it doesnt say mileage on the 1990 and its the 1993 with the damage and high mileage (although the 90' will to). One reason is because they are affordable (i can afford to buy them both) and you can probably make some money back by selling whatever parts you dont need. I'd rather fix up the 93' if the front end parts from the 90' would fit. I change my mind all the time about cars and so if i dont get these then no big deal, i'll move on to something else lol. I was just wondering what some other people thought and would maybe do.

posted by  car_crazy89

Well think of this. You buy both the cars and then drive one and use the other one as a parts car or part em out and sell the parts on EBAY :laughing:

posted by  99integra

Thats an option i havent really thought about (the ebay). Thanx. Also, would the 90' and 93' parts be interchangable (body, engine, and whatever else)?

posted by  car_crazy89

I have done some work on them and yes some of the engine parts are interchangable but the exterior is a different body style if I am correct.

posted by  99integra

Ok, i wasnt sure cause i dont know much about them. Thanx for your help and opinion. I appreciate it.

posted by  car_crazy89

No prob :thumbs:

posted by  99integra

if i were u, i wouldnt even spend money on that 93' 240sx (seems like a piece of trash to me in da pic). go check out the 90'...yea, it might seem like the mileage on that car must be HIGH since the seller didnt say anything about the mileage but there might be exceptions. cuz my 240 didnt have much mileage when i bought it...and the previous owner didnt even tell much about the car in his ad. He just said 91' 240sx, blk, hatchback and nothing more...by the time i went over to check it out...man, i was surprised. The paint was coo for a 91 car, all power, flip up roof....so i bought it!

but seriously, get something that has the least body damage as possible even tho they might be cheaper, but you will get ripped off by auto body shops when u go fix it...and it will take a while to get your car back.

posted by  nissanTFsx

Well the only reason i'd get the 93' is either to fix it (if the parts on the 90' would replace the damage on the 93') or as a parts car to the 90'. I'd do the work with the help of my dad, or take it into school and get help from the teacher. Any parts i dont need i would either try to sell and make some money back, or (depending what it is) keep it as a spare for the good car. The only problem is that to get both cars it'll take about 10 hours (i'm in Peterborough, and ones in Acton and the other is near London. If you know places in Ontario).

posted by  car_crazy89

Any other idea/opinions? Gonna try to call them both tomorrow to find out more, i'll post more if i find anything else out.

posted by  car_crazy89

really niether one sound good to me but as it would be your first car i would choose the 93'. Insurance would be cheap and you could mod it up to be a nice car...my girlfriend has a 95' 240sx SE... and im about to do a srt-20 swap on it for her... so yeah if you dont have that much money and want to mod it buy the 93' or buy both because the parts would fit and would probably run you lees in the long run for new ones.

posted by  rsxdude

Get both and mix and match whatever parts are still good on them

posted by  Oomba

I was considering it cause it would be my first car but i also wasnt sure if the parts from one would fit on the other (mostly body). It (they) are my first choice in cars but i do like them and wouldnt mind owning one. Plus i could always sell it if i change my mind. Another reason is cause their cheap too.

posted by  car_crazy89

dude seriously dont both with either the 240 is heavy and shitty ! import a 180sx with the manual sr20t and ur sittin sweet itl cost less, there are many more parts availble for easy bolt on power upgrades and the body shape is exactly the same

posted by  CJR84

Well i havent seen any of those for sale around here. Right now i have a really tight budget but hope to have a lot more by the end of the summer. If i pass on these then i'll keep a look out. My mind changes almost every other day so i'm kinda afraid about it changing after i finally get a car.

posted by  car_crazy89

its exactly the same car just with a better engine that has way higher power mod options try to get in contact with a jap importer :thumbs:

posted by  CJR84

Wouldnt it cost ALOT to import a car though?

posted by  car_crazy89

id buy both it would cost only 850 and use the parts on one and use the other for a fixer uper deal so you get 2 good cars

posted by  google.com

nah man do some research and ill think youll find its cheaper im from oz and its all the rage down here! we are pickin up new skylines and rx7s, supras and wrxs for under $5000 US because of their funny rules on how old their cars are aloud to be when drivin on the road the sell them cheap to importers to get rid of them

posted by  CJR84

Well i'd try to get it to atleast $800 since they both say OBO. And i'd one to fix the other then part out the rest or i would maybe consider fixing the other.

And i'm in Canada so i ithink our rules for import cars are about the same as the US so it'd give me trouble. Otherwise i'd look into it.

posted by  car_crazy89

yeh i understand just have a look round for them any way to get an idea

posted by  CJR84

Alright, thanx. :thumbs:

posted by  car_crazy89

forget the old ones. go with the new ones. they look better and they last longer. but the only problem is that they are hard to find.

posted by  silvia_star

240sx arent heavy cars unless you compare it to a civic or integra or something. its a pretty decent light weighted rwd car. i have a 89 240sx coupe and that thing is fast and handles pretty well even with the shitty ka24e motor. i think the kid should really look into buyin both the 240sx cause one would probably be good for a project or fixer upper and the other one could be used for parts. and why would he want to import a 180sx. just for a front clip its already runnin well over 2000 U.S. dollars without shipping so imagine what a whole car would cost including freight, taxes, getting all the right papers, and making it legal. if he can get both 240sx he would still save himself money cause if he just wants a swap itll be only about 2200 or 2300 U.S. dollars for the sr20det from a s13. but anyways last time i checked didnt you canadians have the cefiros up there and silvias already being sold. if you have the cefiros get those. theyre just like the 240sx but i think come with a rb20det from a rwd r32 skyline.

posted by  royc978

oh and one more thing. if you want a good first car and youre interested in the 240sx try to find a 94. they come with a factory lsd. all the years built before the 94s didnt have any lsds equipped so if you try to drift or do a burnout youll only get one tire to spin or lose grip. and seeing how youre in canada a rwd car gets poor traction in the snow so think of what might happen when you only have one tire that does most of the work.

posted by  royc978

Alright royc978 thanx. I'm not sure but i dont know if we sell Silvia or Cefiros, actuallt i dont even know what a Cefiro is lol. Lsd would be great cause thats one reason i want a rwd is for donuts, burnouts, etc. I dont know about drifting though. I would buy a 94' and up if i could find one cheap. I'm more into cars before 1975 but i like the imports now also.

posted by  car_crazy89

You need someone who has worked on compact cars such as the 240sx or the Ford Probe to look at that car. I know this post is late and you've bought them or missed your chance but this post will serve someone for info. There are major consequences for any front end damage light or heavy. For one unless you get a whole new front clip installed you'll NEVER get your headlights to lay level with the hood. The mechanics are so densely meshed into eachother that the lightest body damage can cause many hoses to bust, or become clamped down or dislodged, the fan shroud clips could be broken and soon it will start to make noise, the radiator fan can take little abuse before it comes down around itself. I bought a 240sx for 1700. Someone else bought it for me and didnt notice that they swapped out the tires they had on it at the time of offer to some misc shitty ones... $300. The air compressor was dislodged from a previous wreck which had been repaired probably by some junkyard worker with ADD. Still haven't fixed that. THEN I hit a tree going 5mph... ive been paying for it since. I just now have gotten a new front clip for 500 and will be putting it on soon, no telling how much that will cost.

You need a source of income because its a fun car to have and work on but you will find one thing after another, especially if its in a front end, theres no telling on either one, check the hood for spot welds on the front to see if its been in a front end. Anyways another thing... forget what they say about the later 240sx.. dont look very different and you can just take the LSD from them and put them on your car, you can even take an LSD from a 300zx.

If you have access to a school campus auto shop tahts great, I had tons of kids in my school sup their cars up in there, after school... your mechanic teacher is a teacher for one reason, he's maniacally obsessed with cars... hell depending on your schools sophistication you might even be able to swap those front clips out with professional guidance for free!

posted by  DrNix

Ya i had missed my chance, couldnt find anyone willing to drive. My dad also didnt like the idea (hates Imports) so he gave me the truck for a project (gonna cost more then the car(s) would of but oh well). That is helpful information, i might use that if a chance like that comes up again (i wouldnt doubt it), thanx.

posted by  car_crazy89

get the 93. its alot cheaper and they come with better front bumper. just buy a sivlia s13 front clip and put the clip on the 93. after that, your set to go. but if i was to buy a 240, id go with the 95 and up. old ones dont look as nice as the 95 and up.

posted by  silvia_star

correction - sr20det not srt-20.

posted by  silvia_star

If say you got the 93 you could get nice fenders, a hood, front bumper, it looks like you would need head lights too. maybe a head light conversion?

posted by  ciVicman

A little talk about LSD's and snow and the like. I am pretty sure that both the 300ZX and J30 (my car) had Viscous LSD's which means they are like LSD-light. Aftermarket Clutch type LSD's are much more aggressive and are more common for racing, drifting, etc. If you are street driving in a low speed turn and your Clutch type LSD comes on, you can squeal some tire and feel some drivetrain chatter. VLSD's aren't very aggressive but they still allow you to spin both tires and I've never had a problem in a parking lot in the dry. In the snow, having an LSD makes your rear end MORE slide prone because both tires can lose traction under power instead of one. It is possible to give you better traction in a straight line, but it can be slightly hazardous in a turn if you don't know what you are doing. VLSD's tend to wear out when they get older, so if you grab one from a Z32/J30 in a junkyard, look at the mileage and that can tell you how good the rear end will be. I think they can be rebuilt or recharged so to speak with the right diff fluid but I don't know alot about working on them. I wouldn't reccomend a clutch type rear end in the snow at all for it's crazy snap-oversteer, but the VLSD is alot of fun for getting sideways in it. RWD forever!

posted by  VG30DE

Your Message