I need a car

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  I need a car

I want to get my first car this summer. I am 14 and just got my learners permit. Im into the import scene as well as the domestic cars but for right now I want an import. I am wanting something with a turbo, but it dosent really matter if it has one or not. What would you reccomend getting? As usual the cheaper the better but I cant seem to find something that is cheap enough. $1500 and under.

posted by  killer7

Where the hell do you live to get a learners permit when you're 14 :screwy:

Get something you don't like because I have a feeling you will wreck it :2cents:

posted by  99integra

I live in Kansas. I wanted to get something like an early 90s Honda Civic. Actually I have some track experience. Around here when your 14 you can enter something called Hornet Car races at the local speedway. You take a car (it has to be a 4cyl) you have all the glass taken out of it and have the doors welded shut and you can have up to 2 people in the car. You basically just strip the car of everything. Ive raced with my cousin who is 16 in a 1993 Ford Probe GTS. You go around a dirt track. I know how not to get into wrecks.

posted by  killer7

Just cause YOU know how to 'not get in wrecks' doesnt mean everyone knows how not to. You could be the best driver in the world and still get into a wreck cause of someone else. Always gotta expect the unexpected, and can never say 'it wont happen to me' cause you look bad when it does. Not saying thats what your doing, i'm just stating.

posted by  car_crazy89

14??? Man, do you get your license at 15? Insurance must be inSANE. I doubt you'll find a turbo civic lol. especially for 1500 bucks. If you want a cheap civic go for a 94, its the first year (in my opinion) in the 90s that looks good. but it wouldnt be in good shape if you're getting it for 1500. For a turbo car? early 90s talon, eclipse, or laser. You can also get them in AWD. But I don't care much for the body style, thats just me though. Good luck! Hope you have better luck at finding a first car than me! :thumbs:

posted by  TurboLag

I actually did something like that Hornet Car race at Sunshine Speedway when I was 14-15. You can find an old Toyota Celica/any Toyota with HIGH miles like 170,000 and it would still run to 210,000 or more. Same deal with Honda. I worked on one guys Toyota and he had 225,000 miles on it, I asked him how he did it and he said proper maintenece and routine oil changes :2cents:

posted by  99integra

Ive seen that happen all the time. Ive seen some Toyotas go up to 300,000+ miles. My dad has a friend who bought a 1989 Ford Taurus new and it still looks and drives like its new too. It has something crazy like 400,000 miles on it. All it takes is routine matinence.

What this kid should get is a 1993 Honda Civic DX hatchback. It wont be turbo or anything but it would be a good first car. If he wants something turbo he should go with a late 80s early 90s Ford Probe with the 2.2L turbo engine.

posted by  FordFromHell351

I Kansas you can get your learners permit when your 14, your resricted liscense when your 15 and your drivers liscense when your 16.

posted by  FordFromHell351

Your Message