Power Needed

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Power Needed

I have a 1999 Eclipse GS. It is a 2.0 DOHC 4 cylinder w/ a 5 speed. I have noticed the obvious lack of power and I want really just alittle more spice to her. I would say the most cash I got is right around a thousand. I am firmilliar with cars, and most uprgades I beleive I can handel. Any ideas for right around that price range?

posted by  Masuk

A cold air intake would be a good way to go. Maybe a Injen or K&N, then maybe a header or cat-back exhaust.

posted by  FordFromHell351

yeah get a cold air intake, headers and exhaust for sure. You could get some real good stuff in those categories for a grand. I have a WR Secret Weapon intake (12hp&8ft gain), HKS Dragger ehaust system (10hp gain) and DC Ceramic Headers (gain unknown) So yeah find you some good stuff...also a good clutch will put the power to the ground.

posted by  rsxdude

If you want power, you could have bought a 96-98 GS-T for that money...which is hell a lot faster than the GS. But oh well:banghead:
Cold air intake, exhaust, header, ignition...good start. How about taking off the rear seats? Those tiny seats are useless anyway :laughing:

posted by  ed_7702

WHAT!!! I LOVE those back seats lol

posted by  Masuk

T4 turbo

posted by  Oomba

Lighten up your flywheel, eh, eh :hi: But yeah get a cold air intake, msd ignition system, bigger cams, and ceramic headers :thumbs:

posted by  99integra

I always thought that Weapon R made really bad stuff. :doh:

posted by  FordFromHell351

Nope just cheap poor quality parts :laughing:

posted by  99integra

They are very impressive gains. That must have been a helluva POS stock. :mrgreen: What engine is that? Do you have to climb into higher revs now and use the gears more?

posted by  Wally

I'd be going aftermarket ECU, bang for buck.

posted by  Wally

hey :fu: buddy! I like my WR intake and i can tell the difference in power and that car is no POS you ass, probably runs better than your hunk of shit. BTW...its a k20 engine and no i dont have to be in high rpms. :tard:

posted by  rsxdude

does any one know any one who makes crome or pollished cam covers with like DOHC on them...I saw them on my buddys Eclipse and I was wondering if you guys knew of any?

posted by  Masuk

What with a whopping 200hp stock plus the mind numbing 22 ponies you squeezed out = 165kW total peak !!! :oops: (or are you the proud owner of the 160 hp stock engine?). And then that's presumably at about 7800rpm so in real world driving conditions you have comparitively nothing to get up and boogie with, especially seeing as you have in all probability pushed the on tap torque further up the revs by mucking around with the pipes.

Thus my query about frequent use of gears to make up for the lack of low/midrange power. Peak power figures are for bragging rights and not much more, because they are not quantitative in their isolation.

posted by  Wally

Why don't you just ask your buddy :screwy:

posted by  99integra

I don't feel like getting flamed because I am in a shitty mood so Wally is right on this one. My power peak on the Integra was like 5500 rpm so you do have to get it up there. Second, how is an RSX a POS Wally when it replaces the Integra :screwy:

posted by  99integra

Yeah, I'm entitled to agree. I test drove a K-Series Civic SI right when they came out (170hp version of that motor). What a pain in the a$$ to drive, had to rev the piss out of it to get anything. That day I drove the Civic SI an Eclipse GTS (210hp V6), and a Saturn SL2. I honestly would have bought the Saturn (if I was actually looking to buy at the time). The car had a more usable power band than the SI and cost half as much as the Eclipse... plus there's an incredible amount of room where the exhaust manifold is... looks like it was designed for a turbo to me.

posted by  Bino

:mrgreen: I was just having a bit of fun with the POS thing.

posted by  Wally

Your Message