narrowing down

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  narrowing down

i have been reading post the last few days and i feel like a big sponge right now, trying to absorb alot of information on a subject i know very little about. I must say, there are alot of well informed people on this site, I hope you all can help me make my decission.

anyway, I have been reading many post and figured the most popular way to go in my new venture would either be a 90+ 240sx or a 99- gsx eclipse/talon.

any reason i should choose one over the other, please let me know or give me advice on another car. I am willing to spend about 10-12 grand but the less i spend the better.

chris

posted by  chris1017

y 90+ 240 when 89 is the same thing as 90... :wink2:

posted by  nissanTFsx

Well... I really like 240's, but I'm a bigger fan of AWD and turbochargers (hence why I own a GSX... so I'm biased). So I vote for the '99 GSX/'98 TSI (there were no '99 Talons).

posted by  Bino

i figured 90+ 240sx because the prices are not bad and while i am looking for a car with some performance, the most important thing is a car that will last me for a couple of years and the newer the car, usually the less milage they have. i am not dead set on these 2 but they do seem to be the most popular.

speaking of popular, i work for a car dealership and i have a customer comming in tomorrow that may be trading a 2003 nissan 350z, can't wait to see this one, though it is way out of my price range. that car will sell between $15,000-$20,000 depending on the model. how sweet.

anyone have any other suggestions on a car that will last but has a some speed, let me know. I seem to be hearing mixed results about the eclipse's. glad i found this site, my dealership has a 2002 eclipse gt I almost bought until I heard that the new ones suck. i could pick it up for about $10,500 otr with only 33,000 miles on it which is a good deal for me since the black book on it is $10,000 and we are selling it for 15,000. to bad they suck

chris

posted by  chris1017

any other suggestions, i think my main goal is to get a sound running car that will mop up these little coffee can honda's and run with the v-6 mustangs. i don't need to run 10's-11's just need to holp my own. i was thinking around $10,000 to spend but would like to come in well under so i can get a decent paint job. I want a nice even mix of speed and looks but will get me back and forth to work for the next few years.

as i have stated in all my post, i am new to this world of imports and need all the advice i can get. i have been reading and learning a lot but i still to be guided.

btw, i really like the eclipse but they are a little costly, hard to find with decent miles and i keep hearing that mits. has had a lot of engine problems.

everyone, please help this serious new guy break into your fun little world.

thank you

chris

posted by  chris1017

I would go for the 240SX. The Eclipse and Talons tend to have problems alot. Ive been around both cars and have to say that the 240SX is a much better engineered vehicle. However the Eclipse and Talons have better performance, being that theyre turbocharged and have the DOHC design and to boot are 4WD.

I would still recommend getting the 240SX because:
1.More reliable
2.You could always just turbocharge it after you get it :mrgreen:
3.Its RWD :hi:

posted by  FordFromHell351

And don't forget the SR20DT engine conversion :hi:

posted by  99integra

about how much would the sr20 engine cost me, where would i find one, and how difficult would the swap be. I have a mecanich friend who i would let do the swap if it is not too difficult but i am not sure i trust him if it is just a simple bolt in and does anything need to be done to the transmission for the swap. mabey a new trannie, any suggestions.

by the way, these things are hard to find, do you suggest the SE model if i am doing an sr20 swap.

lots of questions, i know just trying to learn as much as i can. i am thinking that if i were to do the swap i can find a cheap high milage model with a good body and just swap the motor and have it repainted, hopefully around the same price as good car and then i will know if the swap was really done and how many miles the new motor will have on it.

again, thanks for all the help.

chris

posted by  chris1017

Your Message