out of your mind

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  out of your mind

i got very excited at the thought of a 240sx in my future, especially after this is the car that everyone suggest, and don't forget the sr20det swap. but there is a problem, a big one. the cars are hard to find, especially in decent condition, they are not cheap and expensive to insure. who wants a $5,000 car with 200,000 miles on it and $250 month insurance payments. on top of it all i called nissan and they don't even carry the sr20 in any form, so how the hell do you get one. the only thing they had was an $8,200 replacement engine, $8,200 are they nuts, thats almost as much as the whole car cost.

I guess my question is this, is it really possible to get a 240sx with a low milage engine, origianl or swap, that is not in peices for under $8,000 or are these types of cars like the skyline, a dream.

i think that everyone should have to post the vechile that they own before they post so i stop getting advice for 12 year olds.

very upset
chris

posted by  chris1017

ok junior calm down as per ur request i drive a 2001 8th gen Galant. now ur odds of finding a 240 with the sr20det are very rare let alone one in good condition but if i buy a old 240 for a few grand the trick is to import ur own sr20det and put it in urself ints not that hard i know a fw people that have done it. now installing it is a fun time but getting ur hands on the motor takes very little effort.however for under 8 grand to get a car and a motor may take a bit of luck you are looking at more like 10 grand at least but then u get a 255hp turbo rwd import not to mention a damn sexy car good luck

posted by  8G Galant

I drive a 1984 Mustang LX w/ a 351 Windsor, a 2005 Ford F-350 Dually, and a 1995 Saturn SL2 w/ a 04 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V engine swap.

What you need to do is get the engine imported. As for that guy asking $5,000 for that car, thats just crazy. I wouldnt buy a 240SX for that much, even though it is a very nice car, and somewhat rare. eBay is always a good place to look for them. Most of the time you can find them for cheap.

posted by  FordFromHell351

I've seen a few mint condition ones go for less than that, with sub-100k miles... it can be done. As for the engine, you can import them from Japan on either eBay or other automotive websites. I drive a '98 Altima (which I plan on putting a SR20DET from a Bluebird in, sometime in the future).

posted by  ThirdeYe

um, last i understood, s13 is a chassis code... so saying 240 is a watered down s13 is fairly ignorant...

keep in mind that there is stil s14 240... so that kind of blows that idea of yours

posted by  mazda6man

junior, hold on now, don't like that remark, may refer to me as chris or sir or any other title that i deam respectfull, but junior, lol

anyway, sorry about anal post, i was just blowing off steam this morning while i was at work. i just cannot stop thinking about this car, and the more i think about it, the more things i start listing to change. i make ok money where i work but am in the process of moving and my rent is going to tripple so money is a little tight. i am afraid to spend a lot of money on a project that i am not sure will pan out. i am just getting into this scene and have very little mechanichle knowledge. i do have a mechanic friend at the dealership i work at but i want a simple direct bolt in because he has not been in the buisness that long i don't know if he is capable of a harder swap, though he did say he would only charge me $400 to do the sr20 swap.

my main thought was to get a model with a good boddy, throw on a new engine, a coat of paint and be done, much learning left for me to do.

how hard is it to import an engine and where do i find them. what do you think the best swap is. i think most will say the sr20det, let me know.

chris

posted by  chris1017

Here is your motor, follow this link. Or type jdm motors in yahoo next time

http://www.totaljdm.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/engines.displayengine/item_num /JDMNISSANSRS13B/jdm_engines.htm

posted by  desertsoldier22

That site has 6 types of sr20's ranging from 180hp to 260hp all less than $3,000

250HP tops buddy...

posted by  NISSANSPDR

oooooo 10hp. Thanks for the correction

250HP should be the S15 black top SR engine. but you dont need to get that one since that one is much expensive and rare. Just grab something like a red top or the S13 or S14 black tops. A few upgrades will easily give your car 300HP.

To find a 240sx...

just go to www.craigslist.org
click on the link cars+trucks and search for 240sx there.

You can see alot of good ones there at OK prices. Yea, some are ridiculous...
but thats where i got my 91' fastback for less than $2k w/ 114xxx on miles on the engine. Well, there was front end damage...but i thought it was a good buy.

posted by  nissanTFsx

I would get an S13 motor cause of its lower compression ratio. You can add more boost.

240 is nothing more than the american sylvia/180sx... only difference is the motor... cuz in america... the sr20 was never made available

why do kids think i dont know anything about japanese cars?

s13 syliva 1988-1993 mid (japan)
http://www.f1wire.com/nissan/silvia/1992/92ps13_6.jpg
actual picture is 1992 silvia

rps13 - 180sx. or 240 hatchback 1989-1998 (japan) 1989-1993 (US)
http://www.f1wire.com/nissan/180sx/1998/98krps13_1.jpg
actual picture is 1998 180sx

s14 - syliva or 240 - 1993 mid- 1998 (japan) 1994-1998
zenki- http://www.f1wire.com/nissan/silvia/1993/93s14_4.jpg
kouki-http://www.f1wire.com/nissan/silvia/1998/98s14_6.jpg

s15 - sylvia - 1999-2002 (japan) US= N/A
http://www.f1wire.com/nissan/silvia/2001/01s15_1.jpg

so yeah kid, dont even try to imply that i dont know about 240s... much less any other japanese car

posted by  mazda6man

no, im basically saying that 240 isnt just s13... theres more than one type of 240 (in america) so saying "240 is watered down s13" is rather wrong... ignorant perhaps

posted by  mazda6man

Your Message