ka24de or sr20det

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  ka24de or sr20det

i read an old post last night where a few people argued over witch engine was better for drag racing, the ka24de w/turbo or the sr20det. I have no intrest in drifting i just want a car that is quick off the line with minimal mods. i have no intrest to run10 second passes, 12's or 13's would be better suited for me, but witch would be better on the straight shot in a 240sx.

chris

posted by  chris1017

hmmm.... i would still say the SR, cuz it's lighter than the KA :wink2:

posted by  nissanTFsx

woo. MAYBE 100 lbs tops...

posted by  Low Impedance

100 lbs is a lot of weight difference between two motors. Especially in a front engine/rear drive configuration. If there really is a 100 lb difference (I really don't know if there is), then that would seal the deal for me.

posted by  Bino

I'm gonna be swapping out my KA24DE after it goes, the SR is better IMO.

posted by  ThirdeYe

the reason i ask is because i am going to get a 240sx. if the ka is better for drag racing i will just have the engine re-built, but if the sr is better than i will just by a knew one. buddy i work with, who builds his own race cars, mopor, told me i should do the re-build myself, anyone know how difficult it is. and what would be more costly, paying someone to rebuild the motor or buying an sr and doing a swap.

chris

posted by  chris1017

just found out that the sr motor would be illeagal to put in the car, kind of scarry don't you think, mabey i will just stick with the ka.

chris

posted by  chris1017

The SR is certainly the better motor of the two but if all you're looking for is that you'd be fine turboing the KA.

posted by  thunderbird1100

odds are the weight difference is more like 50lbs, motor to motor. the various addons that come with having a turbo system adds to the weight consideration. so odds are the sr20det with the stuff that goes with it will weight the same as the ka24de with all of its crap.

posted by  Low Impedance

u should stick with the KA. ppl are doing pretty marvelous things with that engine, and its actually more reliable than wat many ppl think. its heavier due to the iron block vs aluminum block, but i would trust the iron block more (harder material is usually harder to break). stick with it. it costs the same to turbo the KA as to swap in an SR (and i think prices have gone up on the swap)

posted by  Inygknok

that might be true, but will they be pumping out the same kinda HP? :hi:

the SR will take the KA to school all day, all nite, all yr...

posted by  nissanTFsx

We don't get the KA in Australia, only the SR. But let me tell you the SR is one of the best 4 bangers around and would be a hard engine to top.....

posted by  GreekWarrior

Totally agree with ya :thumbs:

posted by  nissanTFsx

Your Message