muffler choice

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  muffler choice

Hey guys, i have a 98 mitsubishi eclipse, i recently ordered a muffler off the internet, but the money got lost in the mail, i don't want a full exhaust for it, and i also don't want to pay very much, anyone have suggestions on a good sounding muffler?

posted by  dsmracersv98

does it only have to sound good? Are you getting a complete exhaust system too? I say save for the whole system. For your own sake don't rice it out.

posted by  TurboLag

i really don't want to pay for a full exhaust, i think with the right muffler it could sound decent and not ricey.

posted by  dsmracersv98

Getting a aftermarket muffler but not the downpipe is like whiping before you shit, its stupid and a waste of time.

posted by  Oomba

LMAO so true

posted by  Mx3Kid

i have an RS, would i really need a full exhaust having that little power?

posted by  dsmracersv98

The base model eclipse with a muffler, that will only make it a ricer car. Save your money for a full exhaust or don't buy anything at all.

posted by  ed_7702

advance auto parts has just the muffler to the tip for about $190

posted by  google.com

Waste of good $190.

posted by  Oomba

yeah, 190 for a muffler is a rip off to, ive been looking at the Tsudo n1 style exhaust for my car, most of the people ive talked to said it sounds pretty good, deep but not much louder than stock with the silencer in it, but unbarably loud with it out, its good priced exhaust, but i duno what do u guys think?

posted by  dsmracersv98

Get an APEX'I N1 :thumbs: is your car a turbo or not but if it is then i would suggest 3inch piping all the way back they sound mean as hell!

posted by  mx3_monster

its a non turbo unfortunately

posted by  dsmracersv98

Well, since he said his car was an "RS" that definitely means not a turbo. So 3" would basically just be retarded... you probably don't need anything over 2.25" exhaust piping.

posted by  Bino

whatabout a custom exhaust, pipes and an aftermarket muffler, ive heard from some people that they sound pretty good, but how much would that cost and would it be better to do?

posted by  dsmracersv98

can you not get the muffler/exhuast first? and then ad the rest of the system in later?

posted by  chibi

Yep you sure can that is what i did i have a fuzion tip and custom mandrel bent 2 1/2 inch piping! CHEAP TO :thumbs:

posted by  mx3_monster

Why not just do it all at once instead of looking like a fool on an installment plan.

posted by  Oomba

Borla Boomers Muffler.

posted by  FordFromHell351

Some cars dont look good with mufflers, one of them is Eclipse.
If you were like those civic owners, then thats OK to put muffler.
Respect your car. Wait and save money and get the whole catback
exhaust

posted by  slvracurarsx03

um, its all opinion on what it looks like with a muffler, for one how would u know if it only had the muffler when u see it going down the road, also everyone has their own style with cars, hating on peoples cars is pointless, it all just depends on what they want in a car,but anywho i got the obx greddy evo style muffler, and the guy at the muffler shop is going to do custom stainless steel pipes from the cat to the muffler, so i guess u could call that a custom catback, and he'll make hangers for it, anyone have any idea what it will sound like? some people ive talked to said it should be really deep, but i duno, anyone know?

posted by  dsmracersv98

It'll sound like Catback :screwy:

posted by  99integra

whats that suppose to mean

posted by  dsmracersv98

You said how is it gonna sound, and I said, "it is gonna sound like catback"

posted by  99integra

lol, doesnt tell me much, but ok

posted by  dsmracersv98

It will sound like 1000 pissed off bees

posted by  99integra

not all catbacks sound crappy, my friend got a catback on his celica, crapy car but anywho, it sounds very nice and deep, not ricey at all nor too loud, i also one time found exhaust pipes that go from the header to the cat for like 100 bucks on ebay, stainless steel pipes, would it be good if i can find them to get them also?

posted by  dsmracersv98

Depends, how big are they or just show me the link

posted by  99integra

the piping? its 2.5 inch

posted by  dsmracersv98

Once again, I shall suggest Borla Boomers.

give me a link to borla boomers, i already have gotten a muffler and do not want to order another muffler now, but anyhow give me a link

posted by  dsmracersv98

2.5 is perfect

posted by  99integra

another suggestion, whatabout this, or should i just stick with the 2.5 pipes, orwhat? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Megan-Stainless-Steel-Header-Eclipse-95-96-9 7-98-99-NT_W0QQitemZ7986806178QQcategoryZ33631QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

posted by  dsmracersv98

Your choice, prolly would get more back pressure with the 2.1

posted by  99integra

Here you go. These are the best on the market right now. (http://borla.com/products/product_multi_detail.aspx?cat=2&type=44&desc=Uni versal+Mufflers%2c+Tubing+%26+Hardware|Boomer+Mufflers)

ok, well im not really worried about getting too much power out of this or anything, this is just my first car and i want a few things on it, i just want w/e will get me a decent sound, u know? which do u think i should go with?

posted by  dsmracersv98

Borla Boomers

posted by  99integra

why so? i don't want to get another muffler when i have one, i just don't want to

posted by  dsmracersv98

I would go with the 2.5 for sound, and 2.1 for performance, you choose

posted by  99integra

Like i said before, save your money for a full exhaust system. Don't become another all-show-no-go rice boy

posted by  TurboLag

lmao!! ... all-show-no-go rice boy..:).. classic... anyways...

if you want it to sound mint and have a sweet 'performance' upgrade in a two in one hit, then get 4-2-1 extractors with a full 2" system.

the 4-2-1 extractors make it sound like a ej20l engine and the 2" will give u more compression for better low end torque... simple.. :)

posted by  HyundaGuy

.......... some of those high priced brand named exhaust do not make them great exhaust or make them sound great, and like i said before, everyone has their own style or things they like about a car, who cares if u don't like what i get or may be getting, and custom exhaust arrent always bad, but anywho i think i will be going with the the what hyundaguy has suggested. im not going to spend too much more money on the car than i already have though, after i finish high school im going to get a faster car, possibly a eclipse gst or just something faster but i duno yet.i couldve gotten a gst for about 3 thousand but i had already gotten my rs and have been putting money into it, what cars would yall suggest that are fast but don't cost much , for my 2nd car?

posted by  dsmracersv98

Should I help him? Or should I suggest a crappy car that he can rice out that no one will care about because he is a typical ricer?

Since I have a kind heart I'm going to suggest a 240sx or a CRX (definetly not fast stock but are cheap and easy to make fast).

Yeah, when it has something more than a muffler on it.

You can always use a little helpful criticism :thumbs:

posted by  TurboLag

how am i a ricer, its not like i try to race with my car, most likely wont either, some people like looks over power, some the opposite, who cares

posted by  dsmracersv98

Theres a difference between good looks and ugly fake plasticy looking wannabe fast ricer mobiles. Fart can exhausts make you look ignorant as hell.

posted by  Oomba

what are u talking about? my car is stock body, no body kits or wings or anything, so w/e plastic crap your talkn about, i don't have it

posted by  dsmracersv98

Yeah he is just describing the ricer in general so that you know what it is and don't get into it. I don't think he's accusing you of anything.

posted by  Accord_Man

o ok, i didn't have any intentions of doing anything like that in the first place though

posted by  dsmracersv98

from the last page on weather i should get the 2.5" pipes or the header with the down pipe, i purchased the header with the pipe

posted by  dsmracersv98

if it's a turbo then go with a 3", if it's not a turbo then don't go over 2" if it isn't a 6cyl, mainly because anything over 2" on a 4cyl will just lose back pressure and kill all bottom end torque, leaving you with a really slow pick up speed.

put it this way, my excel does 0 - 100km/h in somethin' like 6.2 second's, if i were to put a 2" pipe on it, it could POSSIBALLY make it 6.1 second's, if i were to put a 2.5" pipe on it, it'd definately make the time slower, 6.3 maybe even 6.4 second's, all because of back pressure, without a high compression on a N/A engine you have no power.

when it all sum's it, go with 4-2-1 extractors with a 2" pipe from the extractors, the size of the cat back isn't critical.. i would say go with a 3" cat back though.. probably a 3.5" or 4" muffler box and a 2.5" or 3" tip.

posted by  HyundaGuy

thats what i did purchase

posted by  dsmracersv98

good choice.

posted by  HyundaGuy

hey guys, i was looking at chips for my car and came across this, just out of curiosity, what do u guys know about these, are they a gimmick or do they actually work at all, anyone know ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-92-94-96-98-04-Mitsubishi-Eclipse-Lancer- Chip-Module_W0QQitemZ7987588798QQcategoryZ33597QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

posted by  dsmracersv98

i've never heard of this juice box contraption, look's like a good steal, and if it's not then you can always sell it back on ebay or more then you payed, it's always a win-win situation.

posted by  HyundaGuy

you can also try jegs for complete exhaust systems

posted by  viper rt10

well, viper i already pretty much have gotten all the stuff and made a custom exhaust, and i think i will get the juice box, its pretty cheap, and ive only read good comments about it, so yeah.

posted by  dsmracersv98

my brother just bought once of those.. it really does work.

posted by  C c C

Your Message