Japanese cars 276 HP limitation?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Japanese cars 276 HP limitation?

I noticed in GT4 that all Japanese production cars(expept for tuner cars) are rated no more than at 276 horsepower. I'm not suer but I heard its due to the law or agreement that restricts their horsepwer? but is it still active? Because I checked the new Sti and the Evo 9...they are still rated at 276hp over there.

posted by  ed_7702

Some manufactuers tend to under rate their cars horsepower to pass government requirements. If you recall, back in the muscle car era, EVERY one was underrating their cars HP. Like the 1969 Chevrolet Yenko Camaro. It was rated at 450hp, and it was actually something like 600! Same with the 1968 Plymouth "Super Stock" Barracuda, and the 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429. Every manufactuer has done it at some point.

posted by  FordFromHell351

I remember hearing that they stopped that law or rule or whatever the hell it would be considered

posted by  99integra

Yeah, but you know how every damn government is :screwy: Always wanting to control you.

posted by  FordFromHell351

It wasn't actually a law, It was a "gentlemans agreement"

posted by  Zalight

true, there was an agreement between the automakers to limit it so as not to have a massive horsepower battle. Much like the German makers' agreement to set a limit of 155mph. The previous evos and sti's had more horsepower, but the companies still said they had 276 to keep to the agreement. I believe the whole pact is done with now though, and they are free to make horsepower.

posted by  Jay-G

Hey jay-G...Is that an M5 in your avatar?

posted by  Zalight

Its either a Galant or a Diamante

posted by  99integra

ya, why?

"Its either a Galant or a Diamante"
wtf, you must be really dumb- were you trying to put me down or something? saying it was a diamante? It obviously is an M5- and see, this is you starting shit.

posted by  Jay-G

Okay it looks like a Galant or Diamante cause of the rear end. Don't feel like starting shit right now so **** off

posted by  99integra

wow, you could not tell that it was an e39 bimmer? hahahahahahhahah. I don't think that the galant or diamante would be drifting like that, seeing how they are both front wheel drive.

posted by  Jay-G

Galant
http://www.fantasycars.com/sedans/japan/galant_vr4b.jpg
Diamate
http://img.epinions.com/images/newworld/4034/162775-auto-resized200.gif

posted by  99integra

they are FWD. Also, why the fuch would i have a crap mitsu in my avatar?

posted by  Jay-G

I don't know Jay, why would you?

posted by  99integra

y does it matter?
its a avatar

posted by  hhsrastler92

The Law is still in effect, Most of Japans new cars are becoming non turbo anyway, Rx-8 300z, Chaser X and most the others. There not even making Rb engines anymore because of the Emisions law. So this means good business for aftermarket turbo makers like blitz and hks.

posted by  C-33Laurel

The Evos' had 276hp since the Evo4, and skylines the same thing since like the 1990 and they never changed the horsepower...that sucks. If they didn't have that law, Japan would have been building more powerful cars...altough horsepower is not everything

posted by  ed_7702

Back in the 80s, Japan's government didn't want a horsepower war that was going on in america. They passed something where the hp had to be 276 or less. It was either that or the manufacturers didn't want a HP war. So they just rated their max horsepower at a different RPM. Hence, you pass the law, and the manufacturer doesn't break any law, and there is no HP war. Skylines have around 320 horsepower, and supras around 320. Honda recently broke this gentleman's agreement with their accord, and launched a factory claimed 310 horsepower car. Expect a horsepower war in japan soon.

In GT4, the designers placed the factory claimed horsepower in the stats, but the real horspower stat is available in the replay and in your garage.

The evo 8 actually has 276 HP, I believe.

End of story, japanese cars have more power than what is claimed.

posted by  Godlaus

He wasnt starting shit, you are actually starting shit right now by assuming. he basicly made a guess, how is that starting shit?

i personaly thought it was one of the new honda civics, oz lancers, or sentra due to its tail light & rear end. then again my eyes can be playing tricks with me.

posted by  Guest

If it is a law then that is stupid! because they shouldnt put a limit on how much hp a car has in it...!

posted by  inam

Why shouldn't they? Stupid kids do stupid things with 4 digits of horsepower............

posted by  Godlaus

Your Message