advice/opinion on 94 civic hatch

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  advice/opinion on 94 civic hatch

hey guys it's me again, this time with a whole different question. So my neighbor is selling his 94 honda civic hatchback for an extremelly good price. I want to know a couple of things. The car itself has been through tons of mods. The biggest mod is a nice new 4 cyc engine from japan (not sure what kind, just know that its huge). the car sounds like its gonna need a new clutch aprt from other things. Some things look a little questionable (some naked wiring under the hood, miles on the dash read 198,000). I want to know, A.) what kind of questions should I ask about a car that has been modified other than the usual pre-buyer questions. B.) How reliable is a small car with a small height on long trips (I go to school in Carbondale which is 5.5 hours{70mph} away from Chicago). C.)What should I look out for. D.)Roughly how much would replacing the clutch cost me. E.) is it worth it or should I just stay with my 3rd gen completely stock at the moment Toyota Camry?
BTW THe car looks SICK!!!!!

posted by  elchango36

Ask him what engine is swapped in, then take it for a test drive.

posted by  Zalight

I saw him pull out today...he floored it an with every shift the tires would spin out...too much horsepower...I like!!!!!!

posted by  elchango36

How old are you?

posted by  99integra

ill be 20 in november

posted by  elchango36

Okay, old enough to have experience behind the wheel, I would take it but it will probably need new suspension and brakes if the chassis has 194,000 miles. Unless he changed them it should be fine. A clutch usually costs 200 to 300 dollars and then like 200-400 for labor(or atleast thats how much I charge)

posted by  99integra

If i decide to put a new suspension should I lift it a little?? Its really short and I know for a fact it scrapes in speed bumps.???

posted by  elchango36

Lift it at least 1 1/2 to 2 inches :2cents:

posted by  99integra

Okay...Now I've gotten way ahead of myself here...Assume the car has problems i dont know about... What should I look out for??? This guy's a mechanic...so he does all his mods. Also, he's been through more cars than I will probably ever own. The nicest ones I could rember was an AE86, Two other HOnda civic Hatchbacks, and one very fast mx5. He gets different cars because he either gets good offers, he trades them, or he fawks something up becasue of his mods(like the last civic he had... he dropped a 98 integra engine in it and blow out his transmission and a bunch of other things that he didn't feel it was worth fixing...so he sold it). I don't want to get stuck with something that I Have to take to some guys shop out in the middle of nowhere. Remember, Ill be in Carbondale most of the time and there's like three car shops in town. Not to mention I dont want it to break down on one of my trips back to the CHI. The car's really cool, but I dont want to inherit some guys problems. How can I make sure of this?????

posted by  elchango36

Do a Carfax history report or you can ask him since he is your neighbor, and he can do the repairs if it does break down :thumbs:

posted by  99integra

how??? Hes in Chicago...Im in Carbondale.

posted by  elchango36

You said he was your neighbor :wink2:

posted by  99integra

Yes...here in Chicago. But I go to school at Southern Illinois University. IT's in Carbondale. I'll be there in the fall and he will be here in Chicago.

posted by  elchango36

Oh okay

posted by  99integra

ask him to be honest about any problems he thinks it has, if he is a good neighbor he should be honest, which is more than what you will get buying a used car anywhere elese.

chris

posted by  chris1017

thanx...I'm going to do just that as soon as I see him. But I would like to know if I ever do have a problem with it, and I'm in Carbondale, How much of a hard time and I going to have with mechanics seeing as how the cars pretty much custom and I dont have the slightest idea what exactly he swapped out. This is my biggest problem with buying the car... if it ever breaks down, neither I nor the mechanic will know where to start. Do you guys think I would have a hard time with auto shops????

posted by  elchango36

Well, ask the guy questions. Find out what he has swapped.

As far as shops go, my friend has a hatch with a ZC swap and has never had any problems with shops. If they are a good mechanic they will be able to work on it.

posted by  Zalight

thanx zalight...Im gonna test drive the hatch this weekend and will ask him everything I ould possibly think of. Ill keep you posted on the mods.

posted by  elchango36

i like 94 civic's, i got my license in a ek-3 and i enjoyed the drive.. since then i've driven an eg-3 with a b18c and i've driven an ek-6 with a k20a....

i'd say.. get all the receipts to what he's done.. post all the mods up so we know what's in it.. ask when he put all mods in.. ask him if it goes hard.. ask him how fast he's had it.. and ask him if it's ever been in an accident or if he's had any speedin' fines with it before..

posted by  HyundaGuy

Your Message