I need your opinions

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  I need your opinions

Whats up everyone? Recently I've been car shopping and I fell in love with Mitsubishi. Their cars really have style to them. I've noticed that all the ones I check out though seem to have 90K+ miles on them. I've heard that some foreign companies cars (mazda and toyota) can last over 200K, but what about mitsubishi? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanx.

posted by  Pmutch

Mazda's sporty cars use rotary engines, which dont last much more than 80k miles. Toyotas last a very, very, very long time on just regular tune-ups and stuff.

Anyway. It depends on what you're interested in. Toyota doesnt make any sporty cars right now, so theyre strictcly daily driver. I love Mitsubishi, but their cars a really heavy.

posted by  Oomba

It really depends on how the car was treated and maintained really. If its serviced regularly then it could make it to 200,000 maybe even 300,000.

posted by  car_crazy89

I'm really liking the eclipse. I looked at a 97' eclipse yesterday and it had 114K miles on it. They're wanting $8000 for it. Its also a manual and i really don't like those( prolly cuz i dunno how to drive one).

posted by  Pmutch

I too like the Eclipse (and Talon). I dont think it would be that hard for you to learn manual if you wanted to, there isnt anything wrong with automatic though so it doesnt really matter.

posted by  car_crazy89

Rings

posted by  Wally

$8000 for a 97' Eclipse....u might wanna check around first

posted by  nissanTFsx

What the hell are you blowin outta your ass now? Rotarys last a lot longer than that, had a guy with an RX-7 come in yesterday with 150,000 on the same engine, its all about taking care of your car. Toyota makes the Celica and the MR-2.

posted by  99integra

LEARN FOO!!!! :thumbs:

Not anymore, they decided to biuld a little thing called Scion. :banghead: :banghead:

posted by  jedimario

I actually like the TC, nifty little car for the money :2cents:

posted by  99integra

Do yourself a favor and...STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM MITSUBISHI!!! Unlike Mazda, Toyota, and Honda, Mitsubishis will almost certainly not make it past 100,000 miles. At least in my experiences. Most of their cars do look nice, I will give them that, but mechanically theyre junk.

posted by  FordFromHell351

"Nifty" :laughing: Taking a trip back to the 50s are we Steven?

They be the tight shit yo, how bout that :wink2:

posted by  99integra

Holy crap, if it's a turbo/AWD, that's a reasonable price. If it's a GS or an RS, that's a total rip off.

I paid $7500 for my '95 GSX with 88,500 original miles, a brand new motor, and every option except ABS. Just to give you a starting point.

posted by  Bino

I call BS, my buddies '92 TSI has 170,000 miles and is going strong, he did freshen the motor at about 160K, but it wasn't because it was necessary, he just has big plans for it.

posted by  Bino

No, actually, that's the only real downfall to the rotary. They typically do not last very long. That was why the USDM RX7 met its ultimate demise. Too many cars coming in with shot motors still under warranty, I recall reading that many 13B-REW owners lost their motor within 30-50K (The RX8 is doing better, but is still suffering reliability issues... so I've read).

The rotary can last a long time, if babied its whole life and held under meticulous maintenance. But very few owners will submit a rotary to such luxuries, they're run hard and worn out quickly... generally.

posted by  Bino

Well I was talking about one that was driven super lightly by an old man

posted by  99integra

Well hes pretty lucky, because I seen a few with rods thrown around 110,000 miles.

It's actually quite common for them to go high miles w/o problems. There's always exceptions to the rule (like vehicles that have never had an oil change, etc). There are a lot of high performance DSM's with 150K+ miles that are modified with a stock bottom end.

posted by  Bino

Your Message