Honda S2000

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Honda S2000

I was wondering if anybody knew how in the hell honda made a 2.2 liter 4 cyl. produce 240 hp stock. I know its a DOHC VTEC but that is still a lot of power for a stock 4 cyl. without forced induction.

posted by  Accord_Man

Bigger valvles, larger exhaust, ect.

posted by  FordFromHell351

what else does the etc. include, because thats a lot. Has any company made a more powerful 4cyl that isn't turbocharged.

posted by  Accord_Man

The pistons in those also have a larger stroke I believe. As well as bigger cams. The intake on them is also bigger.

The Italians make their 4cyls sometimes with 300+ hp. Theyre masters with small engines.

posted by  FordFromHell351

Honda AP1's are dope, why not just go to google and do a search.. write in something to do with a H22 and see what comes up?

posted by  HyundaGuy

why an H22

posted by  Accord_Man

They rev to 9000 and make torque up there.

Same power plan as mazda's rotaries.

posted by  Godlaus

Somehow I don't know any Italian car which has a 300hp 4 cylinder straight from the factory. Honda are the masters of small engines especially with their motorcycle engines. Even the straights at the old Hockemheim circuit was nicknamed "The Honda Lane".

posted by  fudge

It actually makes 250-255hp according to dyno pulls. The F22c is a pretty amazing engine but isnt as amazing as the F20c. The f20c pulls all the way to 9500rpms before the limiter kicks in while the limiter on the f22c is right at 8200rpms. The F20C makes a little less power (235-240hp) and a little less torque but it's a favorable racing engine setup.

How do they make that much power with such small displacement? Easy... Most open efficent exhaust stock, very good header design, almost as good as it gets intake, large throttle body stock, high compression, big valves, good ECU already... In basic it's really hard to get a lot of power with aftermarket bolt on parts with the engine because the stock engine is already so tuned perfectly. I've seen S2000 dyno pulls only 2-3rwhp more over stock with I/H/E.

posted by  thunderbird1100

Yeah I saw in my honda tuning mag that there wasn't really much to do with an S2000. But then I was amazed when I saw a 610rwhp S2000 in a modified mag, It was crazy, around 650 at the flywheel.

posted by  Accord_Man

S2k def well engineered car, but still for high revving engines i prefer the rotary (RX8 will rev past 9000)

posted by  importluva

my bad, the H22A was the only 2.2ltr honda engine i knew until i did a bit more research!, sorry!

go research the F22C, that's aparently the engine that comes with an AP1.

posted by  HyundaGuy

but the reason honda changed the s2k from 2liters to 2.2 liters was because of redline people kept throwing rods and spinning rod bearings and complained of not enough power in the lower rpm.....so i would take a newer s2k over an older one regardless

posted by  black_plague

Exactly, That is why they are so powerful, and that is also why the only time you will see a super hard core s2k is when its been hooked up with forced induction. S2K's are amazingly well engineered cars, and honestly If I got one, I would lighten it, reinforce the chasis leave stock suspension and stock engine then autocross the thing.

posted by  Zalight

If it's 610 rwhp it's way more than 650 crank hp. Probably up in the 700hp range.

posted by  thunderbird1100

really, wow, thats a lot.

posted by  Accord_Man

Honda's always done well with small engines. But, the S2000 is about the limit of what you can get from that displacement in warranteeable, daily driver form.

You can take any older 2 liter and give it race cams and exhaust, along with porting and compression, and get about the same peak power pretty easily. Done it with SOHC BMW 2 liter I4s. But it won't be driveable, like the Honda will thanks to VTEC. Even then, Honda upped the displacement to get back more low end power for smoother driveability.

OTOH, if the S2000 made the same hp/liter as Honda's own 600 cc street bikers, it'd be pushing out 400+ hp in stock, warranteeable, daily driver form. It's just easier to make more power per liter from smaller engines.

posted by  ChrisV

once again ChrisV has proven were all retards compared to him :laughing:

But en serio, what does OTOH mean?

posted by  Zalight

On The Other Hand...

posted by  ChrisV

Your Message