1989 Toyota Corolla

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  1989 Toyota Corolla

Okay, I maybe am getting a 1989 Toyota Corolla SR5, does anybody know anything about these cars roadtest wise, I will show some pics if I get it.

posted by  99integra

what do you mean roadtest wise?

posted by  enzo#2

Performance, handling, reliability, a roadtest

posted by  99integra

Well the reliabilty is going to great, its a Toyota :thumbs: Handling is also going to be good, because its front wheel drive, and its light. Performance is pretty decent, theyre pretty quick, but Im not sure of the exact hp and torque specs.

posted by  FordFromHell351

I think it is 98 hp and 98 torque :banghead:, turbo here I come, and I thought that year was a RWD?

posted by  99integra

Im pretty sure they were transferred to FWD in 89. 1988 was the last year for RWD I believe. Same with the Celica.

Excuse me, they were transferred to FWD in 88. :banghead:

Damn it to hell :fu: . That is retarded, how will I deal with a FWD :laughing:

posted by  99integra

Just like you did with the Integra. :laughing:

Well that actually had power, a SHIT LOAD of power :laughing:

posted by  99integra

correct me if i'm wrong but that model rolla should come with a 4AG?... i'm pretty sure that it's mounted exactly the same as a fwd SR20DET..? :D.. you could deal with it that way!! :D

posted by  HyundaGuy

I'm not doing a swap on this piece of shit, the thing looks worse than my Beetle

posted by  99integra

....How bads the beetle? :ohcrap:

http://www.bobbittville.com/VW-WesleyWalls.jpg

posted by  99integra

Ahhh yes I see.... :doh: Why are you buying the Corolla?

I dunno really, maybe because its the all-track SR5 :hi:

posted by  99integra

Well thats a good reason! How about you swap in a twin turbo Supra engine? :hi:

How bout not :laughing:

posted by  99integra

WHy not? Sounds like a good idea to me....its better than that 98hp 4 cylinder you got in there :laughing:

Well I can't waste anymo money, the things looks like hell and I am thinking of getting rid of the Beetle so I can work on this one

posted by  99integra

I would get rid of the Bettle.

SOME MOTHER ****ER BOUGHT THE CAR FROM UNDER ME :cussing: :cussing:

posted by  99integra

...Now you know how I feel :oops: Except you didnt lose a car over it.

awwww how cute, he's smiling :) :laughing:

posted by  TurboLag

Yes, and its got lazy eye :laughing:

Now why would you get rid of the Beetle? They are cheap and easy to make look good, and cheap and easy to make very quick!

Maybe instead of going around looking at other cars as projects, you simply dive into the one you HAVE. If you don't like it when you're done you can make money off of it.

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/570966c.jpg

posted by  ChrisV

yeah man stop doing the dope and buy the F U C K I N G Corrola or the beetle then make it look like herbie

posted by  google.com

Okay genius, I have the Beetle but it needs a new engine, tranny and suspension up the gazoo. It isn't really driveable but I could keep it as a project, but now I will have 4 cars :banghead:

posted by  99integra

I bet you can find one of them engines in a junk yard. I would just get the Beetle done first like Chris said.

Yeah, now that I have 3200 less in my pocket I will have to wait awile :wink2:

posted by  99integra

then fix the beetle with all the guzoo

posted by  google.com

That means everything will have to be replaced, do you have any concept of money :banghead:

How bout you look it up on google and see how much a restoration is

posted by  99integra

Remember, it took me under $1000 plus my own labor to go from this:

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/626076a.jpg

to this:

http://www.supercars.net/pitlane/pics/570966b.jpg

posted by  ChrisV

I knew you were gonna say that, but I really don't have the time to do it also, I will keep it, but it will only get little things done here and there

posted by  99integra

Trust me, you'll be glad you did. You'll actually learn a lot more about cars by doing it (especially if you insist on doing as much as you can yourself), and gain confidence in being able to do anything to any car.

posted by  ChrisV

he's wiser then yoda... :thumbs:

posted by  HyundaGuy

remember sr5 is single cam carbed... aka 4a-c...it might be different cuz its the later year... then it might be 4a-e... fuel injected... but i dunno, ive never driven the ae92 corolla... but i do know this... it will be slow

posted by  mazda6man

naah, an 89 rolla is a 4A-G engine, my mate jamie has a KE70 rolla which has a 3A-C engine and he's got an AE92 which has a 4A-G engine, he's gettin a 4A-GZE for both car's, CRAZY PHUCKER!!

posted by  HyundaGuy

...trust me, its not a 4ag if its an sr5... 4age only comes in GTS corollas... oh, and technically the Geo Prism LSI and late 80s Chevy Nova SS.

i did some research (mind you i dont know much about ae92, cuz im into the ae86) and they have 4a-fe... so, yeah... about 95 ponies...

posted by  mazda6man

i'm guessin' ur in america? here in aus the sr5 is called a levin n the gts is called a trueno, no difference in them at all if they're both eight sixes. (except the front end)

they come with a 16valve 4a-ge engine that pushes 130ps max output, stock.

i've done my research on rolla's aswel, quite a lot of my friend's have rolla's with sick transplants.

posted by  HyundaGuy

The last year for the Ae86 here was 1987. After that, we got the Ae92 FWD and the SR5 version didn't have the 4AGE. it had a 90hp carburated 4AFE, and the GT-S only got the 130 hp FI engine in 1990.

A lot of people here have brought over Ae86 trueno front clips so they could copy the JDM examples... But we never got that version officially. Personally, I like the popup headlight versions best anyhow.

posted by  ChrisV

here you go 99integra. some info on 4age

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/8422/4age.htm

posted by  silvia_star

australia stopped gettin' the AE86 (JDM) trueno and levin in 1987, mainly because they changed the chassis type (86 was the chassis number, thus the reason for AE86), we never got an SR5 or GT-S model, it was all just Trueno or Levin, my friend adam is tryin' to get his hand's on an AE86 Trueno (proper JDM with a 16 valve 4A-GE engine), it's difficult because a large majority that was imported here in the late 80's have been exported to place's like NZ and europe.

i believe the only place's to have the proper JDM model's exported from JAPAN was The UK, NZ and Aus.

posted by  HyundaGuy

If it's an all-track, doesn't that make it AWD?

posted by  abless

Yeah, whats your point?

posted by  99integra

Your Message