mitsubishi question

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  mitsubishi question

I wanna know if anyone has bad experiences with mitsubishis. I've heard they are not very good or efficient. The eclipses to be more specific. let me know. -zach

posted by  zach3316

well zach i been looking for a 95-99 eclipse b/c they are 4 wheel drive, sweet, and you could add perfomence parts to them to make them faster than H3LL

posted by  google.com

Actually they have never made a "4wd" eclipse (there's a difference between awd and 4wd if I'm not mistaken), and not all are AWD, just the GSXs.

Funny, I've never tasted a car. I guess I've been missing out.

I never realized that "H3LL" was fast.

posted by  TurboLag

I don't particularly care for mitsubishi, sure I'd take one, but I guess I haven't forgiven mistubishi for putting engines in kamikaze fighters in WWII. A lot (if not all) of their engines are belt driven, which i don't really care for. They need replaced a lot more than chains.

But I would definetly like a vr4. And even a GSX.

posted by  TurboLag

I my self have a '97 GS Eclipse. Before you commit to an Eclipse, look into the other DSM vehicles. There is more to DSM than just the Eclipse, and they are all decent cars. Some can be had for less than others, and some for more. There are a few things you deffinitly want to look into before you commit to a DSM. Make sure you get a 6 Bolt block, because 7 bolt blocks are very proned to crank walk. Now, if you go with the base model, GS, which is N/A, you dont have to worry about 6/7 bolt blocks because it uses the 420a. This is some pretty basic information, for much more indepth information check out some DSM sites and read up before you make a commitment. DSMTuners.com is one of my favorites, but there are plenty. If you have your heart set on an Eclipse, find the model that is right for you.

posted by  Masuk

The only official DSM vehicle other than the Eclipse is the GVR4 (Galant VR4). You just made it sound like there were a bunch... there's not. Some people will consider the 3KGT VR-4 a DSM... it is not a DSM, it is just AWD and turbocharged and of the same era.

Other than that... good advice and a great reference site. Also check out DSMTalk.com (although you'll get the same information really), though I prefer DSMTuners.com. If you get to the purchasing point, check out the classified section on DSMTuners or http://www.DSMTrader.com.

posted by  Bino

As for my 2-bits. I own a '95 GSX. Here's what you need to know (in my opinion). You need to stay on top of the maintenance, that's it. The Eclipse tends to get lumped in with the Corvette in many cases (don't flame until you hear the explanation). Quite frequently people will just barely be able to afford either of these performance oriented vehicles. Therefore they can buy it and insure it, but very frequently they do not have the money to maintain the vehicles properly. Therefore you end up with good performance vehicles that get a bad rep. because of poor maintenance. That's all, I don't classify the Eclipse with the Corvette, they're not even close.

But do stay on top of that timing belt... that can be a real downer if you let that break.

posted by  Bino

Bino, DSM models include more than just the Galant. It also includes 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipses, Eagle Talons, and Plymouth Lasers. These are the cars I was referring to when I said other DSMs. All of these cars have the same 3 engine layouts, which is specified by either the 6 or 7 block with the exception of the 420a N/A engines.

posted by  Masuk

so would you reccomend buying a 98-00 eclipse with the hopes that nothing serious goes wrong with it for a 2 to 3 year period. - z

posted by  zach3316

Ive never had one good experience with a Mitsubishi. And I dont trust car companies that make food products :thumbs:

posted by  FordFromHell351

Like I said above, there are different virsions of the Eclipse. Are you looking for a turbo or N/A car? This is a big question depending on what you are planning to do with this car. Do you plan on maybe doing a turbo swap or a power build up? Answer these questions for yourself and then pick the model of the Eclipse that best fits you. But for your question, I would look into a Eclipse for your future buy. Just like it was stated above, make sure you keep your eye on the matanance(sp?) The timing belt is a big thing so if you are getting one with about 75-80k miles on it, and you arent sure you can replace it yourself, I would have the seller do it. Other than that, I love my Eclipse, no problems to report so far.

posted by  Masuk

So, wait a second. You say it encompasses more than the Eclipse, and then you tell me that it also encompasses the Eclipse. Well no shit. It obviously encompasses other vehicles that are identicle to the Eclipse, it doesn't encompass more than the Eclipse and the Galant, because the Laser RS, and the Talon TSI ARE an Eclipse. I guess I just assumed people would be able to piece that together.

posted by  Bino

Wow that was defensive... my apologies. You're right, I wasn't specific enough and I shouldn't make assumptions.

posted by  Bino

That was pretty defensive....

posted by  FordFromHell351

Do I have to say it again? (http://www.mitsubishisucks.com/cars/models/eclipse/)

posted by  99integra

I brought up the fact that there are other makes of the Eclipse in the form of the Laser and the Talon because there are some benifits to some of the older 1G models compared to the 2G and viseversa. For instance, if you were buying a turbo 2G, the BOV is a flimsy plastic peice as compared to the steel one that the 1G has. Thats just one example, there are more. Also, an older model DSM such as the Laser or Talon can be had for less money than a newer Eclipse, makes sence. I said this before I was aware that he was looking into a 98-00(I beleive those were the years)

But lets not forget the purpose of the thread, so with that being said, I stand by my opinion of The Mitsubishi Eclipse or any other model DSM for that matter is a solid car as long as you take care of it.

posted by  Masuk

i guess you have missed out on the car tasteing contest contest (i guess i lost out cause i had no car that day but know i have)
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

posted by  google.com

Yes, I'm aware of the differences between the 1G and 2G cars.

What should probably have been mentioned is the fact that the '98-99 Eclipse is a completely different car than the 2000 model... given that those are the years he's looking at.

posted by  Bino

Your Message