Loose Rockers? Enigne Clatter

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Loose Rockers? Enigne Clatter

I have a 1992 1.8 SOHC Mits eclipse. I noticed about a week ago my car slowly began to clatter in the valve area. I figured, prolly oiling problem, ill put some more in when i get home. But on the way home it got a lot louder, slowly increasingly lossed power, and eventually it stalled. (Its a standard) I was slowing to a stop and it stalled while i was slowing down. Well i had been watching my gauges, and oil pressure was good, so was temp. But after i pulled it off on the side of the road, it was incredibly hot, and i had to wait about 20 min for it to cool down b4 i could start it again, but with that in mind, i still towed it home. The clatter is coming from every valve and it is definatly coming from the valve cover, not the pistons. There are also extremely fine metal shavings in my oil, and it is incredibly thin. I have tried 3 types, and it goes in thick, and 20 minutes after runnin, it become almost water thin. There is no water in it however. My rocker arms seem loose, and they dont fit snug againts the valve stems. the rest fine on the cam, but there is a small gap between the other end and the valvestems. I pulled these off, and a spring loaded something came out of the valves (sorry dont know name) so i think it was touching the valves, but still if u rock the rockers u can hear a light tap when they hit the valve. My bolts are all tight, and when i tried to move the cam, nothing happened so its snug also. Someone please help, becuz i have put so much work into this car, id hate to have to throw it out for this stupid problem. Thanks :banghead:

posted by  ApacheRepair04

Does anyone besides me want to touch this one?:doh:

posted by  vwhobo

Have you checked the windshield washer fluid level?
. :doh:

posted by  BavarianWheels

Why didn't I think of that?

posted by  vwhobo

what the hell are u talking about?

As I nicely asked you in a PM, lose the full page signature picture or you will be removed from the forum. Thank you.

posted by  vwhobo

im working on making it smaller right now, but thats not my problem the car is, so please help me or just quit posting

You're so right. How did I forget that my entire existence is only to serve self centered little pricks like you. I'm thinking your problem is that you're not smart enough to get a real job so you joined the Army.

posted by  vwhobo

dude what the hell? Im not being a prick i just need some advice which is why i came to a forum, why do u have to be like that? And btw i know plenty about cars and am plenty smart. I dont want to start anything, geez i just need some advice. So quit being like that.

It is a cool pic. Too large!! :banghead:
Edit: Hey...good job. Faster than I thought. :thumbs:

posted by  BavarianWheels

Thank you for removing the oversized pic.

posted by  vwhobo

Why did u even respond if u obvioulsy know nothing about cars. How could i know so much about the engine and still be stupid? Huh...Did u everthink maybe i joined the army becuz i love working on machines? You are the prick dude, forums are for help. But i guess if u get ur jollies off just trying to piss people off, thats kool. But i guess we know who doesn't know shit about cars, now dont we.

Yep, you showed us your vast automotive knowledge with your first post. I HOPE you know more about the AH-64's than you do your car. My guess is that you don't touch a chopper, you're probably a cook or an MP.

posted by  vwhobo

See what is that? dude seriously why do u even keep responding if ur gonna be an ass?

Why do you keep responding if you don't like my attitude. Bottom line sonny is I'm the person most likely to answer your question but now you've alienated me. Would you like to keep going or do you want to start over? The choice is yours.

posted by  vwhobo

yes, i would like help, but im not the one that started this argument...so dont say its my fault. I asked for help, u treated me like a child that didn't know shit.

Uh no, somebody else gave you shit, I asked you to get rid of your oversized picture, then you told me to quit posting. Those are the facts as chronicled above.

posted by  vwhobo

..........i asked for either help, or to quit posting, yes...becuz its a serious problem, and im not here to just mess around. and u responded with a smart ass attitude..........how else am i supposed to act. "Yah man i love it when people are asses and since i really need help im hoping for someone to be a dick....?"

Okey dokey. But if it was such a serious problem, maybe you should have shut it down not run it till it quit. There seems to be a pattern here of you not thinking about the consequenses of your actions.

Remember, you're the one asking for help, not me. Have a nice day.

posted by  vwhobo

i ran it the firt time till it quit becuz i did not realize the seriousness of it. After that i have not since run it. and look please get off of urself, im asking for help about a car. Not wanting to argue with u all day. and dont say "then quit arguing wiht me" cuz i know u are going to. If u dont want to help me, fine just dont then, but dont waste my time, becuz i dont care about little petty arguments...i just need help with a car but obviously u dont know how to help me, otherwise u woulda posted something a little more intelligent the first time than "why didn't i think of that"

Hey moron, it's called humor. You need to get a little bit of it into your life.

posted by  vwhobo

:pop: :pop:

posted by  Morphias87

....with extra buttah! :laughing:

posted by  SuperJew

everyone in this forum really needs to chill out. people just come in here asking questions cause they wanna know something. you dont have to be an ass to them all the time. just because someone doesnt know the exact problem with their car doesnt mean you gotta get all pissy at them and sarcastic. if they knew the answer, they would have fixed it by now. also i dont think that making fun of the army is a very good idea. its a very hard job and you really shouldnt make fun of someone for being in it, they risk their lives while we sit at home. so just be a bit more considerate of people. not everything has to turn into a flame here guys.

posted by  Vaspier

Holy shit, its so ignorant in here I can't see past my own hand. Seriously tone it done a bit VWHomo, I mean Hobo... I mean Homo.

Of course your car has over-heating issues, which could be cause by many things. One of them being heat. Your car may not show how hot it actually is in the engine because it may be a lemon. If it is a lemon most likely the part that moniters the heat is too far away from the source of the heat to detect it. My father's car had it the opposite, and the car would display the immense heat that wasn't a problem, and would cause the car to stall.

Seriously, don't come here. Go to a mechanic, find people who know what they are talking about. Mechanics don't slap their foreheads in confusion and ask somebody else to figure it out.

Mechanics > You

posted by  Lun4tic

what are you, 13? you seem to come here only to bag on people and spew your obvious bullshit. i mean...overheating caused by heat. good thinking! last time i knew thats been known for the past 100 years! and no, its not because the car is a lemon, its because maybe ONE PART of the car is broken and needs to be fixed.

and of course you had to pull the "homo" card...seems like everybody is throwing that word around these days. and yet, what warranted you to use the "homo" word? did vwhobo make any sexual advances on you in any way? i think not. next time think before you spew your bullshit. stuff like this could get you banned...

posted by  SuperJew

Calm it down noob. This isn't CS, so don't question my age and whether my balls have dropped or not, because they have. I know the rest of you were wondering that same question.

I HAD to attribute overheating to heat because nobody here knows anything about it. Read around smartass, I'm dealing with idiots. A lemon is a car with a factory defect that ruins the car. In my father's situation, that defect(and most likely others) ruined the car. This could be the case with his car too, but most likely it isn't since he can hear the rattling. He just needs to get it checked out. He was hoping to come here and get a first opinion before he doles out the money for a professional opinion.

I called VW a homo because his name is vwhobo; I cleverly switched the letter B for M and I instantly had an insult. You see, people's names are their identity, and nothing is more insulting then insulting their identity, unless your not an idiot. Somebody called me Lun4prick once, but it just wasn't insulting enough. Stop trying to analyze my flames, you aren't doing a very good job.

posted by  Lun4tic

you bore me with your babbling juvenile bullshit. i'm not getting into this.....

and wtf is CS? Company Seekers? Charleston Sex?

posted by  SuperJew

You have taken being an idiot to a higher level. You keep telling us about your father's car, so that pegs you at 14 years old, 17 tops. Yes your balls have dropped, but apparently it was into your own mouth.

If you're going to attempt to give mechanical advice, please learn something about mechanics. Knowing how to borrow the keys from Mommy and put gas in the car does not count. I'm glad to know you feel you are mentally superior to everyone here. You may be the head idiot in your village but here you're just another wannabe weenie.

Aren't you the clever one, switching those letters. How long did it take you to figure that out? Speak for yourself when you say that someone's name is their identity, for me it's just a name. You on the other hand, if it was in fact your identity, would be called "Littlewannabeweeniewhodoesn'thaveaclue". That would probably be a little bit long, wouldn't it?

As I always feel it's good to give credit where credit is due... Thank you for being literate and using proper spelling, punctuation and grammar. That in itself is a breath of fresh air.

posted by  vwhobo

:guns: BURN!!!

posted by  Morphias87

Your Message