Improving HP

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Improving HP

Hey there!

I'm trying to gain some HP on my 1999 Nissan Altima. Nothing too costly, unfortunetely, but thinking about an Injen V2 system and performance plugs and wires. Unfortunetely, I must admit I'm not very knowledgeable about this. Any recommendations/advice? Anything else I can do to improve it a bit? And lastly, where should I look for this stuff? I'm not on a huge budget, but enough for a bit here and there. Fill me in. Thanks!

Nissan_Altima

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Well, the best advice you are going to get from anyone here is to read up on all the things you can. Take time to stop and research what you are doing or getting yourself into. Its not uncommon for people to ask about their 1st mods on really any car forum, so I will give you a few pointers that you will see all over the internet. The most common 1st mod install is a Cold Air Intake or any other kind of intake for that matter. The v2 you are considering wont really show you more power than say something off of eBay for a fraction of the price. Exhaust usually follows the intake. From there, depending on you motor and experience, the possabilities are endless. Those are the two most common, and are good ways to learn something about your car. Dont get me wrong, its not going to put you into the 10 second range, but for little knowledge they are good solid power boosters.
Thats just my :2cents:
Good Luck to you.

posted by  Masuk

Thank you! That was well explained. Would you recommend any specific type of cold air intake system then? I'm guessing a flowmaster off ebay should do. Should I go for the whole exhaust system or just catback or muffler? New header system? Single or convert to dual?

Once again, thank you for your help.

Nissan_Altima

posted by  Nissan_Altima

i got an idea i told you before i just wana post it here so ppl can tell me if its a good or a bad one

here is the idea
instead of buying a whole new set of headers
just take off the old ones
and do sort of a port and polish on them
clean them
and then get a 120Psi air gun or whatever it is
and blow the shit out of the middle
my guess is that by the end of this you should have sometihng equivalent to a clean set of headers
but then again there are factors such as temperature withstanding and all that
its just an idea though sometihng "homedone"
this is also less costly if you know how to remove and piece this back together
a 120Psi gun should only run about 100 bux to rent i believe at like sears or home depot :2cents:

posted by  6000LE

By the way. I was thinking of exhausts when I suggest flowmaster. Excuse me, I meant AEM CAI.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

i believe this can be done to a few other places
like if you have a stock intake tube
take it off
and wash it but make sure it dries because you dont want water in the engine
i duno
these are just little ideas that are popping into my head
:ohcrap:

posted by  6000LE

Correct me if im wrong
I live around the corner from this kid so we discuss all of this prior to posting
Cold Air Intake system+High Flow Muffler+Performance Spark Plugs and Wires
should add up to a noticeble performance increase
not too costly either
only like $400 bux

posted by  6000LE

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BOMZ-95-96-97-98-99-00-Nissan-Altima-Race-Ai r-Intake_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQitemZ7989547201QQrdZ1

Any good?

posted by  Nissan_Altima

I dont know about the better brands of Cold Air Intakes are, only one i can think of is K&N. ANd if you do exhaust you might want the whole thing (header back) depending on amount you have to spend. new plugs and plug wires would also do a bit yes.

With CAI , Header/Exhaust and Plugs/Wires should add enough that you know theres more then there was. Those are the cheapest and easiest things you can do to a car that will give a noticeable power add.

posted by  car_crazy89

but can someone critique my header idea
see he would get a headerback exhaust but me and him are only in high school and we are a tad short on cash
right now i need a car thats 3 grand topps and tis not easy
plus the car is an altima so unless the NISMO department has something or its curtom built then i duno where you can get performance parts for it. Apparently he found a turbo kit for it somewhere.

posted by  6000LE

Just getting the muffler isnt going to help you any. You're just gonna end up with a buzzing sound. Get the full exhaust system. Borla = best exhaust.

posted by  Oomba

he kinda doesnt have enough money for that though
and where are u gona find a borla for a nissan altima
do they even make them?
i guess if someone can get an Injen V2 for a Lanos then anything is possible tho
lol
what about my header idea
like what is the point of getting new headers at all? :ticking:

posted by  6000LE

I just took a look around Barlo. They seem to be good and I could probably afford it if I want to. However, I didn't see anything for a 1999 Nissan Altima. Am I wrong?

posted by  Nissan_Altima

yea u r
its borla not barlo

posted by  6000LE

www.borla.com didn't show up any parts for the car. Ebay had nothing as well. Either I go for something universal or something not borla unless I'm mistaking.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

if you want an intake system advance auto parts has one thats "universal" soi we can stick that in there
if i get my car thats gona be the first and only tihng that i do with it
aite man i gota go il talk to yuo later

posted by  6000LE

about your header idea. in all theory it should work in help smoothing along the flow of exhaust. but it still wouldnt flow as much as a header. headers are designed differently. different size sometimes, and usualy they have different bends in them to help. but for a kid on a budget that seems like a good idea until he starts adding more to the motor and has the money for headers.

posted by  72firebird

How much does an average header go for? Keep in mind this is for a 1999 Nissan Altima.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

Depends how good the original manifold was. And whether you can encourage the "scavenging effect" to push more charge into the cylinders at overlap. Aim for 15-30hp but instead of chasing the numbers, try to get the best power curve for your needs.

Apparantly the Peugeot 205gti exhaust manifold was so good that most aftermarket manifold actually lost power.

posted by  fudge

well im assuming its a 4 cylinder. and probably an inline 4 so youll only need one header. it should run anywhere from 100-300 depending on the finish/brand. (ie. a chrome header will cost more than a normal black coated one) also the chrome headers look nice at first but then they start to discolor and turn blue and what not. the best thing to do is save some money by buying the base finish which is usualy the black, and then go out and buy some barbacue grill black paint to coat the headers with so they stay nice black longer (grill paint works best because it with stands heat really well and is pretty cheap)

posted by  72firebird

Your Message