Stock Mustang V.S. Stock Wrx

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Stock Mustang V.S. Stock Wrx

Hey guys whats up My friend wanted a mustang but couldent get one and now im able to get a new car and i want it to be a mustang he says a Wrx would distroy a mustang in a 1/4 mile drag l thing the mustang being a very fast car would win what do u think?

posted by  bryanfav123

i think your friends very wrong and we dont find ourselves doing that many 1/4 drags in everyday life do we?
:wink2:

posted by  ferrariman666

mustang will get killed by wrx. j/k i dont really know. i say wrx cause its got turbo and its a 4wd.

posted by  silvia_star

The Wrx is AWD, the Mustang GT is RWD. Plus, the Mustang GT is heavier, so even though the WRX has less horsepower (unless were talkin STi, then that would win no contest), the WRX would win. It'd be close though. At that point, it would depend on the driver.

posted by  Oomba

I'd go the wrx but I'm biased. :mrgreen:

The wrx's main avantage is it's launch, this would probably be the deciding factor in this comparason.

posted by  GreekWarrior

Considering equal drivers the wrx will get ahead off the line and the GT will reel it in.

posted by  importluva

^^I agree. WRX will pull off the line faster. Personal preference though, I'd take the 'Stang.

posted by  hondaman

And on the third hard launch against the Mustang, the WRX will need a new clutch...

In all seriousness, they aren't drag cars. the AWD eats up a lot of pwer. In low traction conditions, it'll be great, but why race in low traction conditions to start with? Besides, you shouln't be drag racing on the street, and on the track, there are clases the cars run in.

posted by  ChrisV

05 GT will destroy a WRX. A 99-04 GT vs. a WRX is a pretty even race but given equal drivers the GT should nudge it out over a WRX everytime. A WRX is a pretty consistent low 14s car with a good driver while a 99-04GT is a pretty consistent flat 14/ high 13 car. The WRX will always take it on launch, but after the 330' the GT will start reeling it in.

posted by  thunderbird1100

I agree with the WRX Launch, GT win, but hard AWD launches are gonna kill Subaru drivetrains and I'm not talkin about just clutches. Mustangs are made to drag race and you can throw dime a dozen beefy rear ends into them. I'd take my Subaru with the front wheels disconnected if I could. Ahhh the beauty of 2 wheel drive :mrgreen: .

posted by  VG30DE

This is all assuming of course he was reffering to a GT...The V6 would be a completely different story all together

posted by  Zalight

ive seen stock wrx run 14 flats all day i think they would beat a stock gt unless it is one of the brand new ones....becuase the best ive seen a mustang hit stock was 14.2...but thats just what i've seen...but if they were racing from a roll the gt would own it

posted by  black_plague

Might as well have a Mazda 3s vs. a 3.8 Mustang in 1/4 mile...same outcome. V6 mustang has alwyas been and is remaining a slow POS. I was disappointed to see the V6 only got a 210hp 4.0L Explorer engine. I was hoping at least 230hp for it since the GT got bumped so high to 300hp. I mean, I'd much rather of seen the DOHC 3.0L 24v V6 from the Lincoln LS (232hp/220tq) than the 4.0L SOHC 12v V6 from the Explorer (210hp/240tq) go into it.

At least it's better than the 145-150hp 94-98 3.8 Mustang...heh...or better yet, remember the non-turbo 2.3 Foxbody Mustang..oh yeah, all 88hp of it! At least it weighed only 2750lbs compared to today's V6 which tips over 3300lbs.

The problem continues to be that you're assuming the non V8 Mustang is supposed to be a performance flagship, instead of a sporty, but much more insurance friendly version of the car for those people who simply don't NEED a race car.

posted by  ChrisV

But isn't a V6 lighter and shorter engine?

posted by  fudge

Yeah, and a 4cyl is lighter yet... what's your point?

posted by  Bino

Who are you freakin' kidding. A Mustang is sure as hell not "made to drag race", I mean seriously, Mustangs are made to drive secretary's back and forth to work. "Made to drag race"... I'll be chewing on that all day... the ignorance of todays youth is appalling.

posted by  Bino

and... Blah blah blah, we've gone through this, what you assume what I assume is wrong, simple as that. We're going nowhere with this, give it up.

what he should have said was mustangs are more suited for drag racing. but thats true compared to any rwd car to a fwd car. fwd cars arent as well suited for it. (not saying they cant do it) they just have a harder time hooking up traction for some reason. awd is quick on launches and accelaration especialy if the front and back have a good ratio of bite (50/50 or 40/60) its just its not as easy on their components. whereas cars like the mustang (like someone said) have dime a dozen rear ends that you can put in them to handle more load and torque. take a fwd drag car and a rwd drag car. put the same engines and same gears in them and the rwd car for some reason will stomp all over it all day. but then again fwd is way better in the turns

posted by  72firebird

So... when did the WRX become FWD? As I recall we were talking about AWD versus RWD, which basically negates nearly all of your logic. Your AWD logic is correct but in no way supports your overall argument.

posted by  Bino

There's no assumption when you state it outright. You don't like the V6 because it doesn't offer enough performance. You said so. it's not MEANT for performance, therefore your criticism of it misses the point of the car. Period.

Every insult you fling at the car proves you are incapable of GETTING the point.

posted by  ChrisV

Because, when you accelerate, the weight shifts back in the car (just like you get pushed back in the seat). This means that there is more weight over the rear wheels. Traction is directly proportional to the amount of weight on the wheels, so in a rwd, the traction to the drive wheels is increased during acceleration, but in fwd, the traction to the drive wheels is decreased.

posted by  windsonian

(In General) Mustangs are cheap, they make big power cheap, and the parts are cheap (all comparitively). If Ford wanted them to handle, they would've done independent suspension in the rear, but they haven't except for special models. Yes most of that is a cost issue but the fact remains that a solid rear axle in the straight line is a traction getter. Send the power back there from a V8 that can be pushed to 400,500, or possibly 600+ hp with one of the cheapest hp/$ ratios I can think of (besides the Small Block Chevy). Yes this doesn't mean they are "meant" to drag race. Funny cars are "meant" to drag race, but as a production car in the used car arena, I can't think of a much better deal. And if I'm an ignorant youth, then please post me wrong.

posted by  VG30DE

That lighter cars have an advantage.

posted by  fudge

You're right, I expect the next Z06 Corvette to ditch the LS7 427 at the last minute and go with an all aluminum 4cyl so it can improve performance...

posted by  Bino

By the time you get 400-600hp out of a Mustang you're talkin' serious $$$ you'd be WAY better off going with a Camaro at that point (because of the point you made about part prices). A buddy of mine is putting a Cobra 5.0 motor in his 66.5 Mustang, he regularly makes comments about how this project would cost him half as much if it were a SBC.

I still don't agree, the WRX would probably be hella expensive to do that with. But there are hundreds of people making in excess of 400, 500, and 600hp with their 4G63, it's just a built motor and the correct turbo away.

I will not deny that the Mustang is better suited for a straight line than it is for the corners... I just didn't care for the "meant for drag racing" part.

posted by  Bino

Actually, that's one of the reasons the live axle was retained. Ford knows the popularity of the Mustang GT centers around it's drag race prowess these days, and they know what the aftermarket does with them.

posted by  ChrisV

Unless you do with the chassis the same thing you do to keep a car from leaning in the curves. It's called weight transfer management. Swaybars take and force the weight to transfer back to the inside when cornering, instead of letting the weight transfer all to the outside of the corner. So do stiffer springs. So on FWD drag cars, the suspension is set up to transfer weight back forward under load, much the same way, using springs and shocks.

posted by  ChrisV

Actually, those of us doing engine swaps have found that Ford motors are generally cheaper to do swaps with. And there's a reason the Mustang continued when the Camaro didn't: it was cheaper to make the Mustang quick, with 9-10 second street daily driver mustangs being cheap and easy to build. Some chevy engine parts are cheaper, but as an overall package, it's cheaper to go quick with a Mustang.

posted by  ChrisV

Somehow I don't think that would be a smart move to improve sales though.

posted by  fudge

You are incapable of seeing the BIG PICTURE.

Just because I dont see it from your perspective doesnt mean you're right I'm wrong. I didnt just say performance... I said performance in its SEGMENT...you consider its segment to be JUST V6 RWD coupes... I dont. So you see how we can get nowhere if we cant agree upon the basics of an argument?

I'll continue to insult every V6 Mustang Ford produces so as long as a FWD sporty car outperforms it in every manner and costs the same or less and sometimes has four doors. That's a pretty damn good insult to Ford if you ask me, if to you it's me not "getting the point"...then so be it to you... I could care less.

i wasnt saying the wrx as a fwd. i just talking about the general advantages/disadvantages of the different drivetrain set ups. cause we all know 4wd and awd cars arent too good on turning when they got traction unless theyre not sending much power to the front. and i wasnt making an argument. so it looks like you have no logic period

posted by  72firebird

thanks for clearing that. i didnt know that that was what caused it. but of course i knew when you accelarate the weight transfers to the back.

posted by  72firebird

lighter cars only have an advantage if they have the ample power to get it moving. its not that lighter cars are better. thats never true. what is true is a car with a higher power/weight ratio is better.

posted by  72firebird

i think in the end there about the same. i mean for 5000 you could build both a chevy and a ford with the same amount of power. it just depends on the parts and everything. but when it comes to heads and things like that i think chevy is a little bit cheaper. and ive seen people swap chevy into fords and visa versa all the time.

posted by  72firebird

That's because I'm not a hondaboy. I don't see FWD coupes as direct competition for RWD coupes, and neither does the f*cking industry. I also know what the 4 and 6 cylinder Mustang's stated mission has been since 1964, and it fills that role exactly. You can make up whatever competition sscenario you want, but it's YOU who doesn't see "the big picture" if you think being faster than anything else is part of what the low end Mustang has EVER been about, or was supposed to be about.

It simply doens't HAVE to be faster than what it is to be competetive in it's market, which is why it SELLS so well.

posted by  ChrisV

Flame thread....

posted by  Zalight

I really had no idea they were popular for drag racing... learn something new everyday. I talked to a guy that worked at a speed shop with a "heavily modified" Cobra 5.0 that was running a 13.2 or something... which I deem slow as hell, so I wrote them off. He must have just been a poor driver.

posted by  Bino

Yes, you were making an irrelevant argument. Possibly just so you could hear yourself speak. I'm very aware of what the different drivetrains offer. But I'm glad you learned something in your first day of Drivetrains 101 class.

posted by  Bino

when you say highly modified is that exterioraly or perfomance? cause if its performance modded quite a bit and hes only running 13s its deffinatly driver. he probably cant get off the line without spinning his tires. that and it depends on what kind of tires he was using and what kind of traction he was getting. but yea if i were you thatd write of mustangs as performance cars to me too.

posted by  72firebird

no my argument made sense. not to a dumbass like you. its not my fault your not compitent enough to see the big picture.

posted by  72firebird

maybe ill brake it down for you so you could understand alright. rwd car go vroom vroom and is good for straight line and can handle much heavy power. fwd cars go brruuuummm and dont go so good in straight line but better in twisty turns. awd/4wd go bruuum or vrooom and go fast in straight lines better than other cars but handle turns worse than both (with traction) there maybe you can understand that. or does my lil nephew need to teach it you . maybe id help hearing from someone your own age

posted by  72firebird

Just chill out http://img332.imageshack.us/img332/373/stfu9hu8qf.gif (http://imageshack.us)

posted by  99integra

i know this guy is just so annoying.

posted by  72firebird

I know, all of you are :wink2:

posted by  99integra

all of us plus you

posted by  72firebird

ehh, no

posted by  99integra

i know you are but what am i :clap: clap for me i just one the argument :mrgreen:

posted by  72firebird

How old are you eh, 5? No you didn't win because you had no proof to back it up ya wanker

posted by  99integra

i know you are but what am i. obviously im older than 5, cause im older than you. cause if im not mistaken didnt we already clear up my age? or was somone groggy from his afternoon nap with mommy at the time?

posted by  72firebird

Hmm, you need to act your age then ehh, and no, perfectly fine day with mommy thanks for asking http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/6923/stfu9hu9gj.gif (http://imageshack.us)

posted by  99integra

I could say something funny/mean/dirty whatever but i wont lol. But what the hells going on here, what started this now? And who's right about what? :ohcrap:

posted by  car_crazy89

nothing really i think he just missed me. cause he came back and started messing with me.

posted by  72firebird

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

posted by  99integra

dur i dont know george. can i pet the bunny rabbits

posted by  72firebird

I'm through, I am trying to be good so just shut up

posted by  99integra

i know and im just giving you a hard time.

posted by  72firebird

It's pretty difficult for you to be taken seriously when you can't use simple words correctly... like "one" for instance...

And no, nobody was every talking about FWD cars... except you... which had no bearing on anything in this discussion. Basically making everything you stated wholely irrelevant. But, again, good try, better luck next time.

And thanks for explaining how an unskilled driver (oh, wait, that's what I said) might have a hard time putting down a good 1/4 mile time, I'm sure everybody learned a lot from your poorly formed sentences.

posted by  Bino

ok. hm youre the dumbass that said i said the wrx was a fwd car. wheres it at. whered i say it? show me? oh what you cant cause its in your mind? thats right stfu. "oo the mustang isnt made to drag race" it isnt but its more suited for it then a fwd car or awd car. or 4wd car. and no what i explained is how your a dumbass that doesnt know shit. thats guys 13 1.4 mile may have been slow but its still 3 secconds faster than any 1/4 youve ever ran.

posted by  72firebird

and my sentences where bad. re read what you posted and try to find all of your retarded grammical errors. oh wait for you to do that you need to know how to use them properly. so dont give me shit about my spelling when yours isnt perfect either numbnuts :screwy:

posted by  72firebird

but i gues no one EVERY in the world can use sentences like you. dumbass

posted by  72firebird

*but i gues no one else EVERY

posted by  72firebird

I will applaud you if you can show me a single grammatical error in any of my posts (except of course the use of (...) for the purpose of making a point).

I'll be waiting. This entire post that I've quoted is barely legible BTW.

posted by  Bino

You are honestly the dumbest person I've ever met.

I applaud your ability to survive in this world.

Never once in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to making a valid point. Everyone on this board is dumber for having read your posts. I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.

This thread is all yours kid.

posted by  Bino

Hmm lets see. it should be "nobody was EVER talking about fwd cars"

"But again,..." not but, again. and not to mention the fact that its improper to begin a sentence with a word such as but.

and again it should be "oh wait," and thats just the one post. just because i dont use proper grammar all the time doesnt make me an idiot. which apparently you are if you couldnt see those mistakes. not to mention you made an ass of yourself for no reason. cause i messed up and put fwd in the wrong place in my post about that. but hey whos keeping track :screwy:

posted by  72firebird

and also im not dumb enough to quote an adam sandler movie trying to use it as a come back. why dont you just say "you are the weakest link goodbye" that one has been used less then the one you used. durrr durrr retard :fu:

posted by  72firebird

You're right, you're intellectually superior to me, I bow to your greatness.

posted by  Bino

thats a real compliment im superior than a retard. what a step up :thumbs:

posted by  72firebird

God just shut the f*ck up the both of you :banghead:

posted by  99integra

if it bothers you dont read. but i wasnt gonna get put down by an arrogant retard like him. plus its over now so take a giant chill pill

posted by  72firebird

Okay but it doesn't prove anything to argue like a bunch of retards

posted by  99integra

Anyone else notice that it doesn't matter what happens, there is always a flame war going on in Asian imports? No where else, just here. A week or two ago it was in all of C4's threads, then when he left they moved to Mad Tuners, and now that thread is locked, so it is now here.

posted by  hondaman

lol yea it does! it proves hes the bigger retard. :laughing:

posted by  72firebird

but in all seriousnous i know its pointless.

posted by  72firebird

Once again:
Flame thread! :banghead:

posted by  Zalight

Hit the 5 year old retards Integra! hit em! :laughing:

posted by  GreekWarrior

For the last time, since you use the same ignoramous argument over and over... How can I be a Hondafan only if I OWN a Z32 300ZXTT? Funny, I dont see Honda stamped anywhere on it?!?!

Guess what Chris... while you side with "the f*cking industry" I'll side with buyers...afterall they are the ones who give "the f*cking industry" the money. I know it's hard and all for you to understand (being an older fart on here), but people my age wont buy V6 Mustangs...for one sole reason... a SRT-4 is over a second faster in the 1/4 mile, a Celica GT-S will gladly slap a V6 Mustang in the face around corners and a Civic Si wont break apart after 5 years. I know it's impossible (as it seems) for you to understand this...but this is coming from my generation...think of it as a big finger to yours, or take it as feedback from mine. Your choice.

Yes but in this one theres multiple wars between different people, its not just on big one.

posted by  car_crazy89

Which must be why no one buys V6 Mustangs, ever. Oh, wait...

Listen ****tard, the BUYERS are flocking to the Mustang V6 in droves, so it's apparently selling to the exact people that it was supposed to, for the reasons I stated.

It's not supposed to be a high performance car! If you want one, they sell the GT. The V6 is supposed to be a great RWD sport coupe for not a lot of money, and easy on insurance. And apparently buyers DO want that, even if it isn't what you or I want in a car.

Get a clue, asshat.

posted by  ChrisV

Thanks for wasting my time once again Chris...hats off to the ignoramous.

The point just keeps flying right over your head and you keep missing to catch it. Maybe one day later on you'll grasp it :banghead:

You keep preaching the same shit...it's not going to work since you dont understand anything but what you say. You dont listen, at all. Another thing is, you take ther mantality of you cant be wrong, oh no WAY can Chris be wrong... Even on an opinion.

People like you in these situations are THE most annoying circus act there is. It's like trying to debate with a high school freshman "No, you're wrong!!!"...every single time.

You fail to see my point, I got yours, but it's your OPINION not mine. Give it up if you cant see it from a different perspective. Just saying, but you're probably THE most random member on here. You make great posts about RX-7's...then come along and start picking ignormanous-like fights like this in where you take on your usual "I'm always right" mantality...and post a few words that seems like you cant comprehend what was even typed from the other person.

Doesn't matter. As I said in my other thread. You win. Ypre right, decades of knowldege mean nothing anymore. Direct experience with the subject matter means nothing. Opinions are everything. The less actual facts they are based on, the better.

You win. I'm not arguing anymore.

posted by  ChrisV

HOLY F8CK GUYS, YOU ALL BROKE CHRISV! :cussing: :evil:

posted by  car_crazy89

You just dont understand it... so sad to see someone of your knowledge base come to this...

This is NOT a you win you lose situation. OPINIONS dont have an outcome of that way. You are making this out to be something that can only have an outcome based on facts when it's an opinonative matter to begin with. When the facts dont pertain to the opinionative matter they have no BASE! just hope you can eventually see this. I have nothing against you personally, I enjoy reading your posts more than 95% of the people's on here. But this is just asinine...

No, you're right. the fact that the V6 Mustang is selling like hotcakes and is aimed at a specific market for a specific reason isn't factual at all. It's only opinion. Actual sales numbers are really only opinion, aren't they? And the opinion that it's a horrible car because it doesn't appeal to you is all that matters. And what categories car have been in for the past 40 years or so doesn't matter as it's ALL subjective opinion anymore. That's what rules. As I said, I'll stop talking about facts and experience, because I don't want to hurt your feelings for invalidating your opinion. You win because your opinion is going to be left alone. I win too, because I don't have to actually think anymore, and I can follow you guys' lead.

Thank you!

:thumbs:

posted by  ChrisV

I want the old ChrisV back dammit!! :cry:

posted by  hondaman

Come on Chris this is just sad and degrating :ohcrap:

posted by  99integra

No, I'm seriously done arguing with them. It just wastes our time. I'm tired of being angered by peopl who have obvoulsy put very little thought in to what they are saying, but insist on the right to say it without being contradicted.

they're right. They have the right to their opinion, and the right to not being insulted for it or have it invalidated, no matter how closed minded and insulting that opinion may be.

So, unsubstantiated opinion now reigns. Hope they all enjoy it.

I'll still participate, and check out cars from around the world, but that's pretty much the extent of it.

Life's too short and i have my own favorite cars to deal with.

posted by  ChrisV

'My point'

"Chris's Head"

Enough said, for the last time... :banghead:

Why so mad? I was letting you win, and agreeing with you. Your point is the only valid one, and Ford was stupid to builda car that sells so well, because YOU don't like it. I'm shocked they haven't called you in to manage the program yet.

posted by  ChrisV

Learn Chinese In Five Minutes

That's not right...
Sum Ting Wong

Did you go to the beach?...
Wai Yu So Tan?

This is a tow away zone...
No Pah King

Our meeting is scheduled for next week...
Wai Yu Kum Nao?

Staying out of sight...
Lei Ying Lo

practice these, I'll give you more later on -OUT

posted by  Integraluver2

yes, but throw in a clutch from my lengthy talking acquaintance Jim Berry and that becomes history. Of course you would know his stuff as rebranded MRT, Rospen, etc, etc.

posted by  Wally

i know Jim too mate, he's a top bloke who makes world class clutches! very impressed with him! he made my mate's clutch for his 300zx... very very impressive indeed!

posted by  HyundaGuy

I can't comment on GT or any other mustangs, but you are kidding yourself if you think a little money on rex won't widen the gap by a few seconds in the Scooby's favour. I'm sure the problem there, as here, with the rex is consistent sub tens, while keeping it streetable.

posted by  Wally

maybe so, but it's hella fun torque steering down the bitumen hoping the rubber won't bite. :mrgreen:

posted by  Wally

I fyou start throwing a little money at the Scoobie, you can throw money at the Mustang, and this sort of thing is the Mustang's forte. There's been a lot of development money on fast 4.6 liter Mustangs recently, and they are every bit as capable as the daily driver 9-10 second Fox platform cars.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and opine that when the clutch grabs, the next weak link in the chain is axles. But I don't know about 10 second Aussi WRXs, so I may be WAY wrong here.

posted by  ChrisV

And that in a few short posts between you and me sorted the whole thread. The fact that you can easily look up the ET's of these cars answers the question of which is fastest stock. Once you start throwing mods into the soup the whole thing is too subjective.

The clutch is the weak link in the scoobies, the rest is pretty impressive.

posted by  Wally

I've wanted once since all we got were the 2.5 RS non-turbos. At least then we got the 2 doors... ;)

posted by  ChrisV

They are a genuine icon and probably will disappear come 2006/07 if rumours are correct = Holden accountants tinkering I presume.

Bang and quality for buck, they are right up there.

posted by  Wally

The fastest wrx in the world is Tony Rigoli Racing's (an australian wrx tuner) red WRX wagon with a 9.13 @146 mph quarter mile time. :hi:

posted by  GreekWarrior

and guess who's clutch he uses. :wink2:

There are some pretty fast rex's out there that don't turn up for official times too. Then there's Subaru scrutineers that monitor the meets and black mark the cars for warranty support.

posted by  Wally

We're talking stock cars here... Stock Mustang GT vs. stock WRX.

A little money into the Mustang will do the same thing.

From a dig the WRX will jump ahead around a car, then the GT will reel him in and blow right by, probably before the 1/4 as well. from a roll the WRX will get walked.

posted by  Boostjunky

Your Message