350z vs. fd

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  350z vs. fd

im looking to buy a new car.. and i cannot decide between a 94 rx-7 t/t or an 04 350z.. i love the look of the 7, and the rotarty seems to be quite perful, but i read everyware how hard they are to take care of and how they suck up your money fast with problems. i dont like the 350z style as much, but its a 6cyl, and i here its a nice ride, and also they are the top show car out there rite now ( besides skylines and such )..
and also my brother has a 99 trans am ws6, wich moves real good, almost 180mph.. i want a car that will beat him, i kno ile have to put money into it, but im willing to.. but i dont know which one to go with, the rx7 is very capable of those speeds, but im afraid of the engine blowing.. and i dont know much about how fast i can push the 350z, how fast could i actually make it? plz help if you can, any input will be greatly apreciated.

posted by  Guns_10

rotary engines arnt that big of a deal and the z is ****ing awsome you should deff get it over the rx the z has 280 horsepower and is a v6 get that

posted by  ferrariman666

i gotta say the Z too,i dont know much about the Rx-7 but the Z's quarter mile time is pretty quick for stock and if i remember correctly its around like 11.5

posted by  ChevyKid502

Rx-7's weren't really created for drag racing or top speed but more of a cornering machine.

Not really a fan of the 350z in the looks department but they have a good engine. For me the rx-7 looks hot, so I guess that's my decision. :mrgreen:

So that's Rx-7: 1 350z: 2 :thumbs:

posted by  GreekWarrior

11.5 for a standard V6, I don't think so.

posted by  GreekWarrior

that's like saying that a stock r34 gt-r is capable of 205mph.

posted by  HyundaGuy

Or an AE86 going from 0-100km/h in 3 seconds........ :mrgreen:

posted by  GreekWarrior

The Z CAN be turbocharged or supercharged for a large increase in power. The rotor already is and makes less power than the N/A VQ35 in the Z. There is definitely a good aftermarket for both cars. 10 years difference in the cars means maintenence will be an issue in the Mazda way before the Nissan, even though I think both are excellent cars. Looks are personal and expect both 1/4 mile times to be probably somewhere in the 14's not 11's. I'm sure the Z has gas mileage to boot by riding the low end torque that rotors don't have/need. FD's are sexy and rare for sure but do your homework and read up and make your own educated descision.

posted by  VG30DE

I would take the RX-7....But I don't know if you should. The rotary requires A LOT of time, care, love, passion and $$$$ to run at its best at all times. The Z will be a much more user friendly drive.

Then the price factor comes in:

1994 RX-7: $13,350-$15,150
2005 350z: $30,950

posted by  Zalight

rotary engines arent that bad. my friend kurt has worked for mazda for like 15 years. and he uses rotary engines in everything damn near. i mean at first its confusing on how it works. but i think rotarys are a pretty good engine. especialy since you can stack em.

posted by  72firebird

How come you have such a large price difference? The 350Z will run you in the low-mid $20k used while a FD runs in the mid $15k range.

A Z32 300ZXTT, or 2g 3000GT VR4 are in the same price league.

posted by  thunderbird1100

i would go with the fd over the 350z....there might be a little more maintenance but its worth....and the 350z only runs like a 14.3 or something like that definitely not an 11...

posted by  black_plague

my dad is a mechanic, and we can get sevral wrecked z's for about 9 grand, put 4 or so in to fix it, the z and the fd are about the same price for me.
and also i have not mentiond that im looking for a daily driver car, not just a weekend fun car. so the car has to be somewhat reliable, and i have heard you have to really work with the fd to daily drive it, and im not sure if i want to pore the money into it like that, evan though it is fast as hell and sexy as all hell.. i dont want the engine to blow everytime i bring er to top speed. any input on this?
and the z has a few turbo setups from hks, or greddy that will increase power tremendously, along with some other mods i think i could put it into the 11's range, thats good from its 14's stock time, and everytime i bring it to top speed it should be fine, but it does not look near as good as the 7, and i dont think i can make it as fast..
so basicly im stuck and dont know what to do, plz help still.. also what do you think of the 350z's exterior styling.. ive heard some say its slick, but some say its ugly

posted by  Guns_10

Like I have said many times before, My brother has an FD. Its a nice car. VERY fast, very sexy and definitly a nice car.

If you just daily drive it, it wont be to much of a bitch for you, but if you race it all the time then you might encounter some BS.

posted by  Zalight

Then in that case, get the 350Z...or if you get the RX-7, look for an LS-1 to drop in it!

I want pics of your bro's WS6

posted by  Oomba

Im sorry but i really don't support any v8 conversion into any rx7. As a rotary purist i puke at the thought, but to each his own.

If you are not serious about cars, just another dumbsh!t who always thinks of how to impress other people, then for the love of god stay away from the fd. That leaves one more fd available to me when i decide to purchase one. If you are truly a car enthusiast who is willing to spend the extra hour and extra dollar for his car, then the fd will give you joy what no piston engine can ever give.

The 350z is a good looking car, has a great engine with tons of potential, and is also becoming quite common. This is the mainstream way to go, you'll get the ladies, in other words this car would impress most people, etc.

Im sure by now you know which i would choose. Just be aware that the fd is a special car with special needs but can still be a very reliable car.

posted by  importluva

I 350Z runs alittle better then the RX7, I think it runs about 13.7.
I would probably go with the 350Z because of it being newer, and less problems while you build it. :thumbs:

posted by  nsupra27

FD3S is a cornering, braking machine and I prefer it 's looks.

But if you're looking at drag racing performance the 350Z has more torque and more displacement and better potential.

posted by  fudge

i purchase about 2-3 different sports compact/ import magazines a month and judging by the ads and articles u should,

get a 350z if u want to impress people or "get with the time"

get the rx-7 if u are willing to put a lot of time into tuning it up.

personally, i don't really know much about tune ups, but that's why i'm browsing the forums and reading the import magazines...

but... back to the topic, i would suggest getting the 350z over the rx-7 because the newer being the more reliable and.. there seems to be a lot of articles in magazines about tuning a 350z, basically the 350z is just the easy way out.

wow..i just wrote a mini thesis statement on two cars.. :smoke:

posted by  SloMoBullet

Doesnt the 350Z shift in a Z pattern?

posted by  Oomba

What's a Z shift?

And all manual cars I know has a H pattern gearbox and that's including the 350Z.

posted by  fudge

Sorry, but I cannot STAND this mentality, as it's borderline religious idolatry. The cars are not their engines. Puking at the thought? Just stop the madness now. These are not rare or valuable cars.

if you have an RX7 in your driveway without an engine, it's still an RX7. But a 13B-RE in your driveway is NOT an RX7. A V8 in an RX7 retains all teh god things about the chassis, but adds more power for less money, and is more reliable AT that power level. A 13B-RE in another car doesnt make it an RX7.

The FCs and FDs are beautiful cars, but at 350+ hp they are not relaible daily drivers. And there are too many supposedly knowledgeable tuners on the RX7 sites selling projects that they are tired of working on. And there are couple of 400-500 hp turbo rotaries that are hand grenades and do not last even a year in one piece.

posted by  ChrisV

Hehehe...I love when Chris goes off on people about the v8 engine swap...Makes me feel warm and fuzzy. :laughing:

posted by  Zalight

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/4484/stfu9hu9ix.gif (http://imageshack.us) :laughing:

posted by  99integra

yeah.. make's me laugh sometimes.. cause he just goes nuts with completely relivant points, thus making it a really hard argument for the other half! :D

posted by  HyundaGuy

so what ive been readin is that most have picked the z, but am i gonna be able to push it to 180, cuz im not interested in it if i cant.

posted by  Guns_10

Stock they come with an electronic limiter at 155MPH, at least I think, most cars have this, If you get a new ecu, it will be removed

posted by  Zalight

Chris ill give you a response here but id prefer not to hijack this thread anymore than has already been done...

Having said that ill try to present my views more thoroughly. I believe the rx7 is a very special car, a misunderstood car, and in the case of the fd, somewhat rare and quite valuable (consider the price difference between an FC and an FD)

Im of the mentality that the 13b is a part of what makes the rx7 unique and desirable, its a part of what makes the rx7 the rx7. I confess that the 13b is what i was looking forward to the most when i purchased my FC, but even then i wasn't in it just for the engine but for the entire car. Im not much a fan of swapping engines that were not originally designed for the car, especially when people put h22s in civics :evil: but ill save that argument for another time.

My belief is that with enough time, work, and patience the 13b can get me what i want. I understand that for some the 13b has failed to live up to expectations and they choose to get what they want through much easier methods. I respectfully disagree with their actions and thinking.

As for me, im looking for 350hp but not for a daily driver. I understand that you've 'been there, done that' but even if i fail to achieve what i want, im not going to cop out. :screwy: Call me a nut case but im a stubborn SOB haha. That is all.

posted by  importluva

I heard tht the350Z's fit and finish is poor, like how the door closes feels weird sometimes, and some bolts show, not saying that the RX-7 will be any better but, whatever, I think i should have left my mouth shut :laughing:

posted by  Slapshot

so if i have a 390-400hp rx-7, am i gonna be able to daily drive it without many problems?
and i really dont like the 350z body style, anyone have input on this?

posted by  Guns_10

i hate it how people start these threads, mainly because people just get into huge arguments over stupid things like "NO! this car's better" and then a reply stating "NO! this car is better!" and so forth, just on going... lol..

just get what you prefer, if you want to learn about what goes on with each car then just go to google and type in 350z stats and figures, do the same with an fd3s, no big deal and it's not exactly a hard thing to do, now is it?

seriously people, we all argue to much.

posted by  HyundaGuy

impossible to say. there are literally hundreds of factors to consider, how good the tuning is, how strong the motor is, are your brakes up to par, what about suspension, what turbos your using, can you drive, etc. It can be done if you know how.

posted by  importluva

well i dont know how exactaly, so how do i do it?
if i get the fd i will put a nice performance suspension on it, and also breaks and ect. and i think im an okay driver, not a pro.. but i mean i dont beat on the car often.
i love the fd's looks more than any car out there, its so hott, but im just stuck on the reliability issue.

and the 350z is a great car from what i read, and i think ile be able to push it to high speed with a t/t kit.. but with the 350z i dont like the exterior styling as much. thats why i am asking, where ppl stand on wich car looks better and why.

posted by  Guns_10

i need help!!!!!!!!!!

posted by  Guns_10

Now I'm lost...did your RX-7 break down? lol

posted by  Cliffy

Personally, If we're going on looks, FD3S. Performance, FD3S. Reliability, 350Z. I think that if you can not only afford the FD, but can and will put forth love, devotion, blood, sweat, and tears, then by all means go for the FD!! :2cents:

posted by  elchango36

I'm with you. the rotors are the best looking and the most fun. but you do need to be aware of the reliability issues of rotors.
I hear rumours of a new rx-7 in the pipe line and if they have styling as good as last time coupled with the stronger motors of the rx8s then they will be on to a big winner! As long as they make it a turbo or triple rotor that is.

Does anyone else have a strong dislike of the styling of the rx8 btw? I can't stand it personally.

posted by  relicensed

I love it. I think it is really agressive and unique. It's size and proportions are small, taut, and muscular. You can't deny the sleek low FD for it's hotness as well. I wouldn't argue over the two because they are very different in my opinion.

posted by  VG30DE

I disagree, I think the RX-7 looks much more musculine. I think the RX-8 is too much of a Coupe......although some might say it's a hatch back given that it has 5 doors :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

yah speaking of the rx-8's stronger engine.. i was thinking what if i put the renesis engine into an fd.. would i have to change the engine mounts? or anything else.. becasue they are basicly the same engine without the t/t..

and has anyone else heard anything about another production of the rx-7?

posted by  Guns_10

why would ya wanna stick a non turbo engine into the thing? if ya did why not just get a bridgeport 13a rather than spend all tht money on a renesis.
Unless ya gonna get one of the new jap turbo engines from someone.

posted by  relicensed

i would probly never do it, because i love the 13b, but i would get the renesis engine and put a t4 turbo on it, seen it at a car show and looked amazing.

posted by  Guns_10

I dont think you can even find a Renesis for sale anywhere at the current moment. Plus, the Renesis is a very overrated engine. There is a reason they dropped the horsepower from 247 to 238 when the RX-8 first came out. It cant make its rated horsepower. It still doesnt even make 238hp as Mazda claims...most dyno pulls show it to be in the 220hp range (for the 6 port 6spd model).

stcok vs stock the fd is an all around better performing car....and people with fast cars should know regardless of what car it is the more power you make the less reliable it is...my :2cents:

posted by  black_plague

I don't think that is necessarily true at all. For the same engine yes, but you can't tell me that a V8 that is stock or with boltons is gonna be less reliable than a small boosted |4 because the V8 makes 20 hp more(just throwing numbers out there). Hopefully that wasn't what you were saying.

posted by  VG30DE

yah, but this argument isnt about the rx-8 and the rx-7.. its bout the 350z and the fd.. so back to that subject.. i would like to know what car you would prefer and why.. or give me what you like about the 350z and the fd.. i love the fd, the looks are sexy as hell, and its a fast car, just not reliable.. and the 350z is a nice car.. reliable and can be pushed to high speeds.. but im not all that impressed with the exterior styling.. anyone have output?

posted by  Guns_10

from your posts so far I'd say your mind is already made up and you just want confirmation! If you came to my car yard talking like that I'd know i got a sale of one of the rotors for sure. At the same time though, the fact that your questioning this, If I had no rotors but had a 350z sitting there I reakon i'd have a sale anyway. As soon as you told me you had mis-givings about reliability I'd use that to get your sig on the bottom of a recipt!

In short, don't go looking at cars for a while bud! Your a bonus waiting to happen.

posted by  relicensed

Personally I wouldn't get either. 350Zs are over rated and 3rd gen RX-7s are ticking time bombs. Daily driven an RX-7 becomes a liability. But between the two get the 350Z. Now if your talking about getting a new 350Z, dont. Spend the little extra cash and get an EVO or STi. Hell, even a stock 05 SRT-4 will blow a Zs doors off. Also think about other cars such as WRXs, 300ZXs, and any DSM. WRXs are good all round performers and respond well to mods. you can find a decent 300ZX for less than 10Gs now. And if your willing to spend in the 20s, just get a MKIV Supra.

posted by  Boostjunky

hey im new here but i need to clear some stuff up because you guys know squat about rotaries.

first off i reccomend the 350z as you have no idea where to begin with maintenance, you will find yourself very frustrated and poor, you NEED a rotary mechanic very closeby too or its not worth it.

in terms of raw performance, there is NOOOOOO comparison, to boost a 350z, you need a kit and you need to rebuild the bottom because it is weak as **** and thats about 11k total right there.

with 11k, you can take a FD to about 650-750 bhp with use of a t70 or a gt40r, the FD is very responsive to mods but you need a very good tuner as its all in the tuning, a standalone unit and full tuning is required but if you want serious power the FD is a much better choice, bad for a daily driver though.

posted by  StealthFox

dp for thread subscription, srry

posted by  StealthFox

no, with $11k, you can take a 13bt/20bt from 270hp to about 350hp, it costs over $11k to get either a T70 or a GT40R that will fit the mountings of the engine, plus you would need to upgrade the a/f intake, the housing, the rotor, the output shaft, the injectors and also the transmission, the differential, suspension, brakes and mags/tyres.

with $11k, you could get a small T28BB and bridge port the rotary and maybe get some mags/tyres, suspension and brakes.

my friend steven esterbrooke had a Series 4 with a FD 13BT and he spent $15k with the engine alone, it had 422hp and that was from PAC PERFORMANCE, he had a TRUST T67, TRUST FMIC, 750cc injectors, Bridge Port, High Performance Rotors/Output Shaft and a completely re-built Housing. That's the engine ALONE, including the suspension, brakes, diff and mags/tyres, he spent over $25k on the car and he had the service it constantly, cause the second you **** around with the stock vehicle, you **** around with your budget.

Budget wise, the 350Z is MUCH better, it wont cost much for maintainence (compared to an FD)

Fun wise, the FD SH!TS on the 350Z, mainly because it's lighter, turbo, revs out to X's, lower and all round more sport-ish, in my opinion.

posted by  HyundaGuy

...no you with 11k you can get that sort of power, you just listed lots of dumb crap that wasnt factored into a the turboing of a nissan Z to justify your opinion.

and for your information mr hyundai you can barely even get a basic n/a install of a 20b for 11k, let alone a "20bt"

and your friend has got to be quite a sucker to spend 11k to get 270-350 hp, people do that with the stock turbos left and right spending about 3-4k FYI

theres too much wrong with your list of what i would need to make 600+ bhp i dont know where to start. but i'll tell you this, a full kit to make that much costs about 4k, factor in tuning, fueling, and engine work, you can do it well within 11k, and how the hell are you going to say i need to upgrade my suspension, wheels, tires, and brakes when i never even factored that into the cost to boost the 350z? i was talking about just the motor and turbo alone, not a full performance mod package

posted by  StealthFox

Umm. I've owned an R100, an RX2, 2 RX3s, 2 first gen RX7s and a second gen. I'v erebuilt rotaries on my kitchen table, and crewed for an IMSA RS team that campaigned an RX3 and a rotary powered Formula Libre, as well as helped out with my buddy's RX2 rally car and his 2 RX3 autocrossers.

I've spent a lot of time on rotary boards in the last few years.

That being said, I agree with you about the rotary in teh US.

In Australia and New Zealand, however, there's a much healthier following and a lot more knowledgeable people rebuilding them. Of course, they GET 20Bs there in stock applications, so 20B conversions are vastly cheaper there than they are here (and yes, in the US, a good running, modded 400 hp 20b turbo conversion is going to run over $20k easily...).

But, a 20B turbo setup is heavy, and it hangs out in front of the axle, which screws with the weight balance. Considering the cost and the downsides, it simply isn't worth it...

posted by  ChrisV

Now why on earth did you rebuild an engine on your kitchen table??

posted by  fudge

why the hell not? if you like it enough, i'm sure you'll eat it.

posted by  HyundaGuy

their tasty, especially with tabasco. nothing beats my grandma's old deep fried rotor recipie.

posted by  StealthFox

I've already got enough iron in my blood :thumbs:

posted by  fudge

Your Message