Honda Civic argument

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Honda Civic argument

This argument on the forum has gone on long enough.
Honda Civic.
Race car, or economy car?
It can be both
Civics are chosen by teenagers because they are cheap, good on gas, rather insurance frinedly, and there is a plethera or aftermarket parts for them, so they are easily personalized.
Civics can also be an economy car. My mom had one, and she just used it the way any mom would. Daily travel.

Now let me just state my view here you all can follow up with intelligent or smartass remarks like some are known for.

Civic is a great car for teenagers, becuase it allows for customization. So does the Eclipse, 3000GT, and others in that group, but lets face the fact that not everyone can afford those other cars.

Also I believe that F&F and 2F2F gave people the wrong idea about racing. Racing is not always money based. Where I live it is done for respect and fun. People think that just becuase their car has a spoiler, body kit, rims, sound system, and a cold air intake system and fart cannon, they are gona be kings of the streets. I made the mistake of being a smartass about my neon (which is stock the whole thing was just a joke to see reactions positive and negative and i mostly got just one kind - ), and now I feel stupid in front of ChrisV and others who showed me that I was just an arrogant prick. So here is my post. Tell me what you think. Oomba I know you hate civics but just please state your opinion, and dont use SCAA pictures, because noone thats 16-25 has that kind of money to blow.
:smoke:

posted by  6000LE

not necessarily. for certain age groups its more expensive to own a civic than say a g35c

posted by  importluva

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&paI d=175093062&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sort order=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&recnum=6&le adExists=true&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_41_%7CB-14000%7CD-_386_%7CN-N%7CR-10000 %7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-94563&aff=national

Why even bother with a civic?

posted by  Slapshot

See this is what im talking about. I want people to post their opinions, and not just stereotype. Like you dindt say that Civic sucks eevn thoguht u might have meant it, but you gave a reason (Porsche). I like the way you think. And let me answer that. I said that people in the age group of 16-25. How many of them can afford that? My supervisor has a 05 TL that i drove today and its nice. But back to work, its a valid argument, just not for the exact statement I proposed. Keep up the good work I like your tihnking. :thumbs:

posted by  6000LE

If you are between 16 and 25. I dont seem to catch that. isnt that an infinity, or a "luxury car". I got a quote for a civic (142 a month) and for a Maxima (220 a month), and thats Liability with limited tort. Difference is large to me sonsidering i am just turning 17, but i guess for someone who is like 22+ and is done with college and has a good job, it wont really hit them as hard as it will hit me. And in the end my Neon costs me 120 a month for liability with limited tort. Its all just a matter of what kinda money you have I suppose. :2cents:

posted by  6000LE

Oh no :doh: these threads just start arguments... :ohcrap:

However, on topic. The Civic can be made into a race car, and quite a good one at that...however....

There are several cars that can be made into fast little racers for far less. Or, as someone pointed out, you can get an older performance car for a good price also.

posted by  hondaman

that is also right. But I am not sure how much customizing you can do to these cars. I can go get a Boneville SSEI 3.8L turbo and that thing is fast, but i cant do anything to it but rims and sound.
i guess its a matter of perspective
and if the thread gets out of control Bav will see and close it or i will ask him to

posted by  6000LE

Engine swap. :wink2:

posted by  hondaman

sure you could make a civic into a race car, but that costs money? and to make a civic into a true race car you'd need to spend so much money to bring it up to par it would kind of defeat the purpose of them being a good deal.

posted by  chloroform

Civics are horribly ugly cars. If someone is into tuning cars, you would think to start with a more attractive platform. Not to mention theyre slow.

PS- Eclipses arent expensive

posted by  Oomba

a lot of people get the wrong idea that civics aren't fast and they are mostly used for shows. and here i do see a lot of teens giving their civics huge wings and bodykits, not that i ahve anythign against that. but i do like to point out (and correct me if im wrong) the world's quickest/fastest drag car is a honda civic tuned by the AEM team. it does 6.54 @ 211.8mph and to that. that is wow. shows you that civics arent jsut show cars.. anyways to do that u need a lot of money and its kinda off topic here. :mrgreen:

posted by  SloMoBullet

civic's are great cars to learn how to drive in, to save money on fuel in and also to have a little fun with other slower hatchbacks (hyundai excel's, ford laser's, nissan pulsars etc...)

civic's are good cars, i don't hate them, but i don't love them... i would honestly much rather a hyundai excel over a civic but that's just me... i don't care what other people think... OH.. and to you lying about your neon.. well.. that's sad mate.. really sad.. i own a hyundai excel that's a peice of shit and i'm honest about it.. i don't need to lie to 'be cool'.

all in all, civic's are good car's, people that need a economic car that's fun to drive, go out and get one, people who hate civic's, go out and get something like a stang or a charger, whatever rocks your jocks.

posted by  HyundaGuy

Yeah and you know better than the folks at Spoon racing :banghead:

posted by  fudge

your signature is wrong man
i can drive auto but i cant really drive stick
:crap:

posted by  6000LE

It's the other way round for me. I've only driven manuals and have hardly driven autos.

posted by  fudge

I own a Civic, I'm almost 18 and I pay $50 a month for car insurance.

posted by  SyntheticTrust

I know what looks good or not

posted by  Oomba

yea you know what looks good to you. different people have different tastes. if you dont like imports stay out of the import section. simple as that.

posted by  72firebird

Civics are SOMEBODY's thing, just not mine. I could never buy one myself because I think Civic and Honda in general is associated with a large segment of the rice world, and that really sucks. I got to ride in an ex-rally driver's SoloII AutoX early 90's Si Hatch with boltons and sticky street tires and I was floored by its performance. Fart cannons and generic wings give these lightweight and nimble cars a bad rep. Props to those who do civics right :thumbs: .

posted by  VG30DE

Oh come on who can like this

http://lumumba.uhasselt.be/~mocon/civic/civic-rear.jpg

or

http://www.edmunds.com/media/reviews/lists/ten_best_selling_vehicles/01.hon da.civic.350.jpg

Its just so..boxy and plain

posted by  Oomba

Good for you. And so does everyone else in here with their own opinion.

To you. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Keep that in mind next time before you start posting crap based arguments.

posted by  hondaman

I think the EK model Civic is the nicest looking hatchback.

posted by  fudge

boxy?? Have you looked at the Sicion? Honda's are not boxy.

posted by  SyntheticTrust

I'm not Scions arent boxy. But those are relatively boxy too. Scion xBs are toasters with wheels.

posted by  Oomba

Im going to have to say that the Civic, in my mind, will always be a family econo box. Thats what it was designed to be. Even if you do hop it up, it will still be the econo car that it was built as.

posted by  SlipKnoT

As a base to build a fun performance car from, light economy cars are a good choice. Due to modern crash standards and NVH requirements, the light economy cars are very rigid chassis, with little flex, good strength, but not a lot of weight. In fact, as far as a collection of stamped metal to build a car from, they are much more suitable than even old musclecars (which ONLY have the advantage of coming with powerful engines to start with, even if the rest of the cars were not very well built).

Reduced weight is the same as added horsepower, so it takes less total power to make a light car move, and less overall torque. Torque can, however be multiplied by gearing, so torque to the ground vs weight can be very good
even with smaller flywheel torque figures. Now, use those smaller, lighter engines to build relatively decent power from, and you can have an excellent performance combo.

Cars are just collections of stamped metal, glass, fabrics, rubber, etc. Cars don't care where they came from, what name is on their stampings, nor do they care what role their marketing department has set for them. So why should we? Performance is simply a way of moving their mass rapidly, and controlling their mass for cornering and braking. The name on their emblems has no bearing on that, especially if, like most enthusiasts, you don't plan on leaving the vehicle stock.

posted by  ChrisV

ANd does that really matters when you want to build a fast car? Spoon are making loads of money and winning races whilst you're still at kindergarten level saying Civic sucks.

Amen :clap:

posted by  fudge

i see where everyone is coming from. i personally own a 93 civic, that i bought for a very good deal, and in the 2 years i've had it, i have had very minor problems (such as radiator and exhaust). i use it to get me to school and back and just to have something as an everyday driver. i personally think that in order to get the most out of making a car faster, you might think about getting a car that comes stock with a turbo. Such as the eagle talon tsi. they are relatively cheap and have tons and tons of potential. it also takes alot more money to make a civic fast, than it does, for say, a talon. so, personally i would rather have a civic as an economy car, and find something more worth while to make into a race car.

posted by  Tooyoung225

When a car just as fast can be built on a more attractive platform, yes. It matters. I dont care about Spoon, or these people in the SCCA and stuff. Nothing is stock about those cars. They shouldnt even count as Civics.

posted by  Oomba

Of course, you're right, since you know more than anyone else here. I won't even talk about stock class or Improved Touring clases, where basically only wheels, tires, and shocks are changed, as that would be knowledge, and that's no longer valid.

You win.

posted by  ChrisV

You realize all cars that compete in stock classes are allowed only the exact same mods...

The Mustangs are allowed the same mods as the Civic is in a stock class. Which like above states is mostly just shocks, tires and exhaust. If those dont count as civics than all those mustangs, corvettes, camaros, miatas and nissan hardbody pickups dont count as...mustangs, corvettes, camaros, miatas and nissan hardbody pickups.

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/stock.html
Read and uptake.

posted by  thunderbird1100

i seem to remember locals goin' nuts on the race track with basically stock cars that were purpose built for a track day, most of the cars were civics with suspension, brake, tire, intake and exhaust upgrades to increase the cars power by about 20hp max and make it handle so much better.

i kinda remember a holden gemini winning the tourney because he had an CA18DE in his that was worked to about 230hp.

posted by  HyundaGuy

So why are there so many thousands of car enthusiasts driving Civics around the world? Either way your taste in cars doesn't represent others.

Well I don't care about about some teenager with a mental age of 4 dictating to us what is good and what is not. If you don't care about tuning companies that know more than you, have more experience and sucess than you, market better than you then your opinions are worth jack shit and you will fail in life. If you think you know better then you are wrong as you are unwilling to accept other people's reasons and experience.

And why are you so strung up about stock cars? Not many car fanatics in this day and age leave it stock so you're in the minority. I think it's about time you get out of Lala land once and for all.

posted by  fudge

Nobody thats not in those teams is going to dump that much money into them. Most Civic drivers slap a CAI and fart can exhaust and think it can beat V8s. m

posted by  Oomba

OMFG is that the best insult you can come up with!

Why don't you just stick to playing Gran Turismo and leave us alone. Come back when you've started puberty.

posted by  fudge

Its not an insult. Its true.

posted by  Oomba

Trust me that's an insult. Stereotyping is one of the lowest forms of intelligence.

posted by  fudge

Whoa whoa whoa... stop right there. Most Civic drivers don't think they can beat V8s. It's only a certain population of ricers that share the same small ignorant mentality that you do that think so. I'm a proud owner of an EG6. I know my car won't ever take a v8 or v6 in the straights, and quite frankly, I dont give a sh!t either :fu: . Why can't you possibly grasp that there's more to racing than going fast in a straight line??

posted by  elchango36

Don't worry, give him another 10 years to finish school and he'll find out eventually. He's just pissed off that so many people like Civics so he thinks it's cool to diss them with nothing to stand on.

posted by  fudge

amen................. :thumbs:

posted by  Boondock Saint

Now you're being as ignorant as him. He didn't say "beat a V8 in a straight line", he said "beat a V8".

So you get p!ssed at him because you don't care if your car can beat a V8 in a straight line ... THAT'S NOT EVEN WHAT HE SAID.

Why get all fired up? you're just perpetuating the cycle of ignorance and hate.

posted by  windsonian

You may not know that this post stemed from another post in which Oomba argued that Civics sucked at drag racing because of horrible 1/4 mile times. It wasn't untill after people started arguing back with him about Civics and the SCCA that this post was started (kinda like to finish arguing what wasn't finished). So I ask you this, what is a drag race? Oh yeah thats right, the fastest guy down a STRAIGHT LINE wins!!! That's were my comment about what he said ... came from.

posted by  elchango36

ok ... I only read the last couple of posts.

posted by  windsonian

Thats quite alright, I've read some of your post and have come to respect you. I totally understand why my comment made you say all those things. If I were in your shoes, I think I would have done the same thing :laughing: .

posted by  elchango36

Your Message