I hope this is right

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  I hope this is right

I am pretty sure a Kia is import but if im wrong feel free to delete this. I heard that Kias are really crappy cars. A friend told me he bought a newer one and things started falling apart. Does anyone else know about this? Im in desperate need of a new car but the 2 cars ive had the past year both died so im weary about what I get.

posted by  HollyBerry

Depends....I'd avoid used ones to be sure. About the only Kia I'd really give a second glance is the Amanti. That car looks excellent, but as of yet it still has unproven reliability. It's performance also leaves a bit to be desired...

Kia Optimas also look good in my opinion...but still unproven reliability.

posted by  hondaman

do you know anything about a kia rio or a kia rio cinco? Ive been looking at the kia site because I hate pushy salesmen so it doesnt give too many details. There all fairly cheap cars ranging from 10,000-20,000 but I dont want to spend the money and have to spend more on fixing it. I think the amanti was a more expensive one and its way out of my price range...

posted by  HollyBerry

The Rio... :doh:

J.D. Power doesn't rate the Rio very high in initial or long term quality, as can be seen here:
http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/kia_rio_sedan_2005/16506/style_reliability.h tml

Other complaints include the lack of room, gas mileage that you could expect from a V6, and poor performance. IMO, I would avoid it...

Depends on what you really want to get though. Are you more interested in a new car, or would you be willing to get a used one?

posted by  hondaman

btw dan, 99integra's back, so we can probably stop our vigil.

posted by  windsonian

I guess it doesnt really matter. I need something cheaper but ive had the worst luck with used cars. Ive had a 96 Lumina and a 93 Grand Am in just the last year and both of them have blown heads now and on both of them it was a problem from before I bought it. I dont have any credit right now and the Kia dealership by my house goes by if you have a full time job rather than your credit. I mostly just need something like that. Im afraid to buy another used car because ive spent over 4000 in the last year to buy and fix both of my cars and there both dead now.

posted by  HollyBerry

Well, I mean, the Rio is an ok car I guess...it won't blow up on you or anything...you just may experience more difficulties with it than another car. If I might make a suggestion...1995+ Maximas are excellent cars, great performing, comfortable, and reliable. I would try to find one of those, you can certainly find one in good condition for less than $10000.

posted by  hondaman

Kia has on of the lowest reliability ratings by Car and Driver (i think thats who it was).

posted by  Oomba

Kias are Korean, so yes, theyre imports. I would never want to own one. Although they have improved from when they first appeared in the US, they still are pretty junky. Ford, Volkswagen, Honda, Toyota, and Fiat make much better cars.

posted by  SlipKnoT

Are you sure it wasnt JD Power & Associates? Ive never seen Car and Driver do reliability ratings other than the long term road tests.

posted by  SlipKnoT

Car and Driver doesn't give a $h17 about reliability. Try Consumer Reports. lol

posted by  VG30DE

Are those made by nissan?

posted by  HollyBerry

The Maxima is yes.

posted by  car_crazy89

As car_crazy said, yes they are. You can find one with low miles I'm sure and at a very good price...but the best place to buy it would be from a dealer...make sure you know the car's history and ask how frequently they had it in for service, oil and filter change, etc. Any car, no matter how good it is, if poorly maintained will be a problem in the future.

posted by  hondaman

I dont think Car and Driver performed the tests. It had number of problems reported per car sorted by brand. It was in a car magazine. It was either Car and Driver or Automobile Magazine.

posted by  Oomba

I have no experience with Kia, but Hyundai is fairly reliable. If i remember correctly they do offer that 10yr/100k warranty...

posted by  importluva

Your Message