Evo8 vs STI

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Evo8 vs STI

Evo8 MR vs STI Which one do you guys think is better and what would you get?

posted by  mx3_monster

Jesus don't we have enough of these, STI hands down

posted by  99integra

*sniff sniff*.. i smell an argument coming on...

i like 4G63's personally, no love for EJ's at all.

i'm more of a mitsu guy personally.

posted by  HyundaGuy

http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/681/shutupbitch8el.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

STI is better all around

posted by  99integra

whoa whoa, i never said "EVO's BETTER!", i just said that i like the 4G63.

posted by  HyundaGuy

Been there, done that. Performance-wise, MR>STi. For daily driving and all practical purposes, STi>MR. End of story...

posted by  importluva

Amen.

posted by  Accord_Man

Well I dunno. J/K

STi. I just find it to be a more driver-friendly kind of car. Their 0-60s are near identical, and they have about the same performance (actually the STi has 22 more hp if I remember correctly). Really they are both great cars. It is up to driver preference.

posted by  StiMan

I agree... personally I would much rather drive the STI than the Evo8 :2cents: . However right now I cant afford either one so I'll just stick with my EG-6.

posted by  elchango36

Me two. I was just saying that the two cars are good since we could have the potential to argue this forever, just like several threads like this one that are in this board.

posted by  StiMan

sport compact car did an article on it and the STI was better in every category. Everything

posted by  dunzo889

That's weird, I wonder why the EVO VIII won SCC car of the year it's first year in the U.S. (along with the STi).

posted by  VG30DE

this argument can go on forever and never be resolved...people have there like and dislikes and they usually go with what they like......

posted by  black_plague

Hmmm. I've read that the Evo is very expensive to maintain? Is the STi the same case? The evo barely nudges out the 350z for maintainence per mile. And the 350z is pretty expensive to maintain, clutch is a little weak.

posted by  aerith

Yea I would imagine the EVO would be alot higher maintenence, ESPECIALLY if you don't break it in correctly. It WILL turn into an oil burner and money pit. I've heard of alot of cars breaking from driving them hard and dealerships being pissed and not covering certain things. Let's not forget the SoloII/AutoX warranty voiding that goes on. I would imagine the STi is alot more reliable in that sense, since they hand out SCCA SoloII/AutoX signup sheets at dealerships with their WRX's (at least to my friend when he got his).

posted by  VG30DE

Interesting, I recall a head-to-head where the EVO whooped the STI in every category minus straight line acceleration. It was generally preferred by all drivers over the feel of the STI... I just can't think of the magazine.

Oh well. I'm down with both. But I will forever disown the STI as soon as they release the new car with the Tribeca front end... nasty.

posted by  Bino

meh, who cares, what engine does the new magna come with? it's like a 3.2ltr v6 supercharged? it wouldn't be the same concept as the 6g would it?

posted by  HyundaGuy

So what does that have to do with this? If we're going to go on what some mag says then this is an even more more pointless thread than first thought.

This can only be decided by opinion. these cars have always been more or less identical in all stakes and will always have followers of one type or another. Most people here aint driven either. In fact most probably haven't driven the older versions even. so most of this is gonna be down to personal opinion of looks. Or at best test drives or passenger drives in one or the other.

Personally I'm gutted they started making the evo for the american market with the evo8, as it com primised the design of the car they wanted to make, without the extra front bulkhead to pass the american saftey laws the car would have been even better. But then again every year they try to slow down F1 cars and they keep getting faster anyway! With the money mitsy will be making from the american market they might start getting back to the reliablity issues. just a thought. :2cents:

posted by  relicensed

Actually its the B2 Turbo front end, but ya, it sucks ass.

posted by  StiMan

Everything I've read calls it the "Tribeca" front end, which I realize is the new Subi SUV.

I'm not familiar with the B2 Turbo... search time.

posted by  Bino

word to that, i love the current WRX look, but with the B9 look, it goes out the window. FUGLY! :puke:

posted by  SuperJew

I dunno. I want my mom to get a B9, I feel that perhaps one could get used to it... or not. :puke:

posted by  StiMan

B9. Different? Yes. Fugly? Maybe, but I think all of us in a CAR forum can just learn to hate the looks of all SlowUglyVehicles in an equal opportunity fashion.

posted by  VG30DE

I saw one today when I was driving to lunch... yes, in my opinion, they are the definition of Fugly (but the interior is kind of cool).

posted by  Bino

mmm hmm

posted by  Boondock Saint

woopsie, it's a 3.5ltr v6 twin turbo, some help on the engine type would be greatly appreciated.

posted by  HyundaGuy

B2 is a Japan-only vehicle.

I cant find pics, but I assure you, thats where it came from.

posted by  StiMan

Evo has better performance...STi is more driver friendly...

Already been said 1000000x before.

posted by  thunderbird1100

Its more personal preference really. The cars are so close in performance there isn't a clear cut winner. In a drag race, they are even through 1st gear, then the STi just starts to walk away, HARD. Its got almost 40 more lb-ft of torque. Handling wise the EVO is way more user friendly, where the STi takes some real driving know how, but it CAN keep up if you push it, more through corner exit speeds. But the EVO slices through turns where the STi tears through em. Once again its just on how you like to drive, EVO will nimbly go through the turns and shows a good bit of understeer when pushed to the limit. The Imprezas suspension isn't as tight as the EVO, so it has more body roll which lets it get a little tail happy when really pushed but just can't corner quite as fast, but will still eat almost anything short of an NSX or Z06 for breakfast through the twisties. Daily driven the STi is more comfortable since. The EVOs suspension is tuned so well for cornering that you feel every bump, rock, pepple in the road. Depending on your taste that could get a little annoying. EVO also has HELLA turbo lag, MR not quite so much. Those are my impressions from driving both and from talking to many owners. I've heard the EVO has had clutch issues, but I attribute that to idiotic teenagers doing 7K RPM clutch drops. Everyone I've seen owned by decent drivers haven't had problems. And its a 4g63 people, that shit will run till judgement day. The EJ25 in the STi i don't know about long term, since USDM market is the only one to get that power plant, We'll have to wait a year or two to find out.

posted by  Boostjunky

Sounds like an Element! :laughing:

posted by  thunderbird1100

Your Message