are eagle talons reliable?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  are eagle talons reliable?

I was looking into buying a 95 talon, but many people have told me that theyre unreliable and require a rediculous amount of repairs. Are they worth buying or am i gonna be left with sumthing im just trying to get rid of?

any input would be appreciated. :mrgreen:

posted by  markymark3

The Eagle Talon is based on the Mitusbishi Eclipse, actually its the same car. And they aren't exactly honda civic or toyota corolla reliable. It also depends on which trim you are talking about, the FWD or the AWD? But some of them crankwalk, or will. If you don't know what it is, its when the crank moves out of place. A 'walking' crankshaft is when the crank moves too much inside the engine block. The movement is usually due to the crankshaft not fitting inside its bearings correctly. The movement can place excessive or uneven loads on the bearings, causing premature failures. Crankwalk is frequently seen in second generation Eclipses/ Talons, which would be 1995-1998. It seems that Mitsubishi used defective cranks that were machined incorrectly and didnt fit the block properly.

But you can fix this, Mitsubishi was aware of this problem, so they manufactured bearings to fit the crankshaft properly. But it is quite tricky, you'll have to find out exactly when the crank was manufactured and to know the exact measurements to match to the corresponding bearings.

posted by  aerith

Before being enlightened here at CF, I hated Talons!!! I always thought they were Eclipse knock-offs. Then, I saw the light in a thread here at CF. It pointed me to this http://www.shepracing.com/videos/shep876.avi
Check it out. I have since then never looked at an Eagle in the same way.

posted by  elchango36

as long as you do your general maintenance they are pretty reliable cars

posted by  black_plague

Crankwalk only happened in the turbo models made after 92. It doesnt happen all the time though.

posted by  Oomba

are they worth buying tho ... what else could u suggest that is in that price range?

posted by  markymark3

There is nothing else in that price range that is capable of the same performance level as a Turbo Eclipse/Talon/Laser.

If you stay on top of the maintenance they are perfectly reliable (my daily driver is one of these vehicles). It's not like a Honda where you can just put gas in it for 150K miles and it'll still treat you fine. You need to change the oil regularly and stay on top of changing the timing belt.

posted by  Bino

We need Kristi up in here

posted by  99integra

Is Kristi Talonchik...because if she's not we need her too.

posted by  elchango36

Yeah Kristi is Talon :laughing:

posted by  99integra

i like eclipses better

posted by  ferrariman666

Really??!!, no way!, what are your reasons :wink2:

posted by  99integra

The only reason i'd say i lie Eclipses better (and it would only be slightly better) is because i like the tail lights on the Eclipse alittle more then the Talon, but thats about it.

posted by  car_crazy89

That's funny... the taillights are why I prefer the Talon over the Eclipse...

posted by  Bino

I like the spoilers, taillights, and brand better on the Eclipse.

posted by  Oomba

What do you mean by brand? Do you mean the Mitsu symbol?

posted by  Bino

i think he means he likes mitsubishi better over eagle just in general?

posted by  markymark3

Yeah thats it. I'm a Mitsu fan. Except 3rd gen eclipses, yuck.

posted by  Oomba

agreed.

posted by  markymark3

I love those friggin Eagle nuts that think Eagle was the shit and are all pissed that Eagle is gone (not just DSM guys). They are few, far between, and slighty cooky. I say it was smart for Chrysler the cut the "Mercury" out of their brand lineup. Badge engineering is very unnecessary imo. :banghead: I like GM but they have like 100 models with 10 engines and 5 platforms :banghead: . Whatev.

posted by  VG30DE

That doesn't make any sense. I expected more of you Oomba. They're identical vehicles, built at the same plant. It's like saying you like GMC pickups more than Chevrolet pickups and then trying to claim it's more than aesthetics. It's just illogical... but I guess I really don't need to care so much.

I prefer the Talon for it's non ghetto-booty looking taillight/bumper configuration, and the fact that they are significantly cheaper than the Eclipse, and the insurance is significantly cheaper than an identically optioned Eclipse.

I guess it really doesn't matter... to each his own I suppose.

posted by  Bino

I know this. I'm not saying that I think the Mitsu is better or anything, I've just been a Mitsu fan for a while. Thats why I prefer the three triangles over the eagle badge. No reason other than the name thats on it.

posted by  Oomba

I prefer the Mitsu as well. That price range huh? You could always get a RX-7, not reliable, but with work; its a lot better combination of balance and power then the Eclipse. But you'll have to watch the seals. If you want reliability; I would go for the Integra, maybe you could try and get your hands on a Integra Type R, cost you a significantly larger amount, but you get a good everyday driver and you can take it out to drive fast on the twisties on the weekends too. Or you could go down the more extreme path; buy an old 240sx, and swap in a SR20DET. But if you want reliability, i would suggest you look into Honda, Toyota vehicles. :2cents:

posted by  aerith

Good luck finding a RX-7 in this price range with low miles. Rotaries dont last much longer than 80k miles :thumbs:

posted by  Oomba

now that is true. eclipse backlights are way better. i also think the eclipse front bumper looks better then the talon's. and the black housing headlights that the eclipse has compare to the talon.

posted by  silvia_star

The spoilers are much better than the Talons, too.

posted by  Oomba

Disagree... (this is all just opinions so let's not start a flame war or anything).

So here's my opinions on the Eclipse/Talon body parts. 97-99 Eclipse sideskirts, 97-99 Front bumper for Eclipse/Talon are a tie for me, '97-'99 Eclipse stock headlights. I prefer the '95-'96 Talon rear bumper/taillights hands down over the big-ass (as in butt) Eclipse bumper and I prefer the Talon high spoiler marginally over the '97-99 Eclipse turbo spoiler. I think when I repaint my car though I'm going to shave the spoiler... gives a nice clean look.

posted by  Bino

Plus... nobody will know what I'm driving when it's totally unmarked... 97-99 Eclipse front bumper, 97-99 Eclipse sideskirts, 95-96 Talon rear bumper/taillights and no spoiler. Completely lacking all stickers and badging nobody will have a clue unless they check the instrument cluster (happy turbo gauge)... I'm a sleeper kind of guy.

posted by  Bino

Your Message