tire sizes on 280zx?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  tire sizes on 280zx?

what do you all think is the skinniest tires (for the front) I can get away with and still have good cornering abilities?

posted by  nissan350ZZZ

It is a complete toss up and it totally depends on your rear tire size. Huge drag tires in the rear with skinnies up front? Enter a corner and enjoy understeer city. Try and keep a balance between the two, especially if you are going to be using one set of tires for everything. I wouldnt go more than 20mm of width difference from front to back, but I personally would just use the same tires all around for neutral handling with possible butt steering. Thats my :2cents: .

posted by  VG30DE

yea i agree with him. but also you could probably but some thicker tires in back and get the ass in the air a little bit more. like put 50-55s in front and 60-65s in back

posted by  72firebird

:clap: :clap:

holy cow, this guy knows just about everything there is to know about cars, he's answered just about every question i have WOW!!! your AWSOME thank you soo much look forward to more of your excellent advice thanks a bunch :clap:

posted by  nissan350ZZZ

i think vg30 gave better info than i did. thickness of tires is mostly a visual upgrade. he explained the performance advantages of the tire widths

posted by  72firebird

Thanks man, profile makes a difference too performance wise and the rear should have the same profile (or possibly a little more if it is wider) for a balanced feel, but tall and meaty rear tires in a drag race with an aggressive rear end will lock the power up and send you flying. I don't believe in wheel and tire offset (16 front, 17 rear, and what have you) in cars with less than 300 lb.ft. of torque for the most part (all around driving), but drag is different. :thumbs: Don't forget on the drive wheels, the wheel size + tire profile affect final drive ratio as well as acceleration (and to a lesser degree top speed). Got it Z guy?

posted by  VG30DE

lol yea. also the thickness changes the ride feel a little bit. thinner tires usualy ride rougher and dont have as much cushion. which is why people with low profile tires and big rims usualy dent there rims up on rough roads with pot holes. and lol i used to have 14s in front on my firebird with like 230 or 235/50s and 15s in back with 245/65s. i hated those low pros in front. you could feel every bump nook and craney in the road. i just put 15s all the way around with 245/50s. still to thin for my tastes but it was 500 bucks for brand new centerline rims with euro t/a tires with only 15 miles on them. so i can deal with the 50s for now until it comes time for a new set

posted by  72firebird

before 6 months ago tire sizes and that stuff just confused the hell out of me. but im slowly understanding stuff about them.

posted by  72firebird

Your Message