How quiet...

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  How quiet...

Has anyone heard or own an aem muffler with a silencer? i want to know how quiet they really are. I want the little improved performance with the better look but i don't want that annoying ricer sound. My center pipe broke about 2 months ago so i have a brand new system on it though its the same as the stock one. So all i want to do is replace the muffler but like i said i don't want to be heard far away but a alittle rumble is nothing too bothersome.

posted by  GonnaDie4TheGov

You dont need a 4" pipe to get good performance. Go with a 3".

posted by  Oomba

does aem make a 3" or do you have another recommendation?

depending on your engine along with the type of induction, whether it does have a forced induction or not, depends on the size of the muffler that should be used, AEM will custom make any size exhaust for any price, if you're crazy enough to want a 4" through then they'd make it.. against their own will.. they'd still make it.

posted by  HyundaGuy

well i went on cardomain.com and put my model and year and they brought up the A'PEX 156-A008. Sorry i got that confused with the aem intake im getting. I jsut wanted to make sure that its quiet..i don't want to sound like a ghetto ricer. i jsut want alittle better performance and better looking.

I'd go Borla, theyre a little pricey but they make the best exhausts for performance.

posted by  Oomba

Borla is where I would be headed. They make great exhausts, and they dont have an annoying ricer sound to them.

posted by  SlipKnoT

Lukey make decent exhaust's that produce a nice deep sound, a Lukey exhaust with a K&N POD/CAI will probably produce a nice sound, what type of car do you have? and what type of engine does it have?

posted by  HyundaGuy

96 Honda Accord 2.2 liter 4 cylinder non-v-tech :cussing: ...i got it for a good price though so i can't complain too much

I am looking at Borla's website now...not too bad for prices and i do like the sound that they have on the site. The thing is im not a huge know all with cars so i don't know what size i need.....

Depends, you're Civic doesnt need more than the stock exhaust right now unless you start doing stuff to it. I'd go with 3" if you're gonna go turbo.

posted by  Oomba

Its an accord not a civic and i prob won't turbo it b/c that costs money and im poor lol. Im prob jsut gonna do a few smaller mods to it...nothing huge.

if it's a 2.2ltr I4 N/A engine then i'd go with a 2" through because of low end torque.

if i was you i'd look into some Borla or Lukey for a 2" system because they make good, tough sounding exhaust so to speak.

posted by  HyundaGuy

you could go with magna flow also they make some pretty nice exhaust ...and they dont sound like shit...pretty mellow tone....or you could get some kteller piping of what size you want and buy whatever muffler you want...it'd probably be cheaper than buying a catback....just my :2cents:

posted by  black_plague

just curious, would you want to upsize to say 3 in. if you put forced induction on it?

posted by  Accord_Man

what size is a stock accord? i want the center to dual muffler from borla. It says its a 3" pipe. i would imagine that my pipe is smaller than that so i would need to get a smaller one. i jsut want the muffler...not the entire exhaust system

3 inches and 4 inch pipes are retarted unless you have a turbo go with like 2 inch or 2 and a half inch :thumbs:

posted by  mx3_monster

if he decided to turbo it, then yes, i would reccomend that he use a 3" pipe rather then a 2" pipe.

lower compression, remember?

posted by  HyundaGuy

So really any size will fit on my system? how does that seem to not make sense?

if you want a quiet exhaust go with the greddy sp...my girlfriend just got it on her b16a/civic coupe..it has a nice deep tone but it is really quiet...not too expensive either

posted by  black_plague

Im def getting a Borla...and ill prob get the center/center turbo one...but with their tips...they look like they won't fit on it and they look like they will only go on the turbo xl ones...is that right or is it jsut the picture?

dont bother getting just the muffler. Thats stupid. No gain from that whatsoever except a buzzing noise.

posted by  Oomba

I don't mind the buzzing noise as long as its not the loud annoying ricer buzzing noise. I like the way borla's sound.

is that accord of yours an auto or manual? or tip-tronic? cause i don't think i've ever found out before? lol.

the other one in your sig looks alright, not exactly keen on the spoiler though.

posted by  HyundaGuy

The other one isn't mine. I jsut love that skyline body kit. I would NEVER put a wing on my car. Only way is if it came with the stock one. Its an automatic. Its rare that i would ever race it. I just enjoy going 100+ mph and a few performance parts to make it alittle quicker and better on mpg won't hurt. That and i want to get it painted..i hate that tan color.

indeed, that colour is soooo common with accords, lol... personally, i'd go with a white-type colour, probably a pearleresant type colour, one that change's from different directions.

posted by  HyundaGuy

I was thinking more a dark or royal blue...never seen an accord that color

their's quite a few black ones and midnight green ones around adelaide, lol, sucks cause 95% of them are riced up with massive bodykits and huge wings with big SPOON stickers on the side with painted black bonnets to have the whole 'CF' effect.. BAH!! they're all stock automatics too.... you can tell by the sound of the fart cannon, if it's slightly buzzie it's because they don't have an intake, and 95% of them have a slight buzz sound!

posted by  HyundaGuy

Pearl white would be nice. Maybe a JDM Championship White? :hi:

posted by  SlipKnoT

Nah i don't want white or really anything close to it. Mines a stock automatic right now lol. But my intake is in the mail!!!! i prob won't paint my car till around the fall unless i get this promotion where i will be making like 3 times as much as i do now :smoke:

Your Message