Need Help!!!!

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Need Help!!!!

HEy my freind has a 1987 supra that he did a motor swap on and he now has a spare turbo lying around and he says that I can have it. so I am gonna use it for a temporart set in till I can get enough money to get a brand new turbo. the components I need are: turbo, intercooler, exhaust manifold, plumbing, blowoff valve, wastegate, guages (boost and xhaust temp), turbo timer/ controler. I was windering if there were any parts to it that I need to put a system together. And I dont want any bullshit about how I should go another direction, I am gonna do this i just want some feed back on what I might need for it. Thnx

posted by  JDMprelude92

injectors, fuel rails, fuel pump, oil filter, fmic, piping, wastegate, turbo(obviously), electrics (boost controller and turbo timer), ecu and a boost gauge?

that's all that comes to mind as of now.

what kind of turbo is it? i'm unfamiliar with the turbo from the 7MGTE.

posted by  HyundaGuy

im not quite sure what kind of turbo it is but im gonna find out
I think its a stock one

posted by  JDMprelude92

it wouldn't happen to be a CT18 would it? i know that CT18's come with 1JZ and 2JZ engines, the CT26 was with the 3S-GTE, a popular conversion in Japan was the swap of the twin CT18's with twin CT26's until major upgrades were used, lol, intelligent lads, arn't they?

posted by  HyundaGuy

Yea its the CT26 off of a JSpec
motor my freind had to do the mtor
swap cause when he got the car
it was basicly ****ed so he did the
swap and he's got the turbo left
over and its hella tight. And its in
very good condition. Just think
about it... a supra turbo in a prelude.

posted by  JDMprelude92

a CT26 is a celica turbo, not a supra turbo, i did research on the 7MGTE and it came with a CT18, just like all the supra's do.

are you gettin' a custom manifold made to suite it? because it's gonna be one hell of a hard swap without one, also, i'd personally go with a T28BB from a JDM S15 silvia over a CT18/CT26.

the ball bearing turbo's are better, spool up faster.

posted by  HyundaGuy

yea im gonna get a custom manifold made for it. i know a guy who's uncle owns an exhaust shop and they got access to mandrel benders and all sorts of stuff that im gonna need like the piping and manifold

posted by  JDMprelude92

Prelude, I was just wondering, do u have the skills to weld?? If so, you can make a custom exhaust manifold pretty easily. If you are able to let me know, I know a good site to buy the exhaust spacer and also the elbos and T's needed to weld it up. My buddy made a custom manifold out of these peices for his Eclipse and it runs like a champ. Just a suggestion because it will save you some decent cash(my friends was like 90 total)
I know what its like to do a turbo swap, you are likely to use more money than you think. Just a suggestion.

posted by  Masuk

Thats sounds like a good idea. I personaly dont have the skills to weld but I know tons of people who do and more that have welders.

posted by  JDMprelude92

Wouldn't first pass be to determine if the charger is suitable?

posted by  Wally

i've got a strong feeling that it's not, i've never heard of the idea of a CT used on a honda engine before, if i was him i'd be lookin' at a T25 BB or something small like that, maybe a 16g TD03 or something.

if i was you mate, i'd sell that CT18 of his and use it to buy some of the major essentials needed to make a turbo run in a non-turbo engine.

posted by  HyundaGuy

I have to make my first post a worthwhile one. Sorry Hyundaguy but the mk3 supras (1986.5 thru 1992 in north america) that came with the turbo engine were equipped with the ct26 turbo. Yes you are correct the mr2 does use the same turbo, it just has a cast piece attached to the back of the exhaust housing for it to work. I have a supra, I know this for a fact. BTW good luck with your turbo install JDMprelude, and any news on it yet?
eric

posted by  Suprapower

Your Message