Guys Please Take some time answer some questions regarding 3000GT

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Guys Please Take some time answer some questions regarding 3000GT

Hey Guys Please help me to make a decision to buy a 98 3000GT with 60000 miles and priced around 9k.

I was wondering as the model is no longer in production is it advisable to buy the car?

Will is still get the spare parts?

Till what mileage does a stick one work good ?
Is the maintanence going to be costly? if so how much $$$$$$$$$?

Advise me some more things on this.

I appreciate everyones time and consideration in advance.

posted by  naughtynnn

Get it, 3000GTs get you the poonani.

How long a car is good to has nothing to do with whether its a manual or auto. The transmission may be bad, 3000GTs are known for having tranny troubles, so know who the owner is. If its some 16 year old kid its not a good idea to get the car from him, because he probably drove it hard. Which is bad.

posted by  Oomba

hey man thanks for the reply but the kid who shown the car was a kid just got out of high school but he says it was driven by his elder one.Let me know if it is a good idea to buy it.

posted by  naughtynnn

is it turbo/twin turbo or n/a? just for my own curiosity.

posted by  HyundaGuy

WHOA, I just realized N/A meant naturally aspired :laughing: :doh:

posted by  99integra

Naturally Aspirated, you didnt know that? I hope you know FI means Forced Induction!

posted by  Oomba

fuel injected? lol

posted by  ferrariman666

no, that's EFI. or just plain E.

FI's always meant Forced Iduction.

posted by  HyundaGuy

riiiiiiiiiiight... "yea... i've got this really hot car, but it was only driven by my granny to get to church on sundays"

get it inspected by someone who you know will do a complete and thorough inspection. that'll tell you what you want to know...

and look at it this way... the price you pay for that inspection could save you $9,000... it is WELL worth it.

or even ask him to foot that bill as you are gonna pay him that much money.

posted by  pik_d

I would say to get the car. It is a good car, and there are many driving around, so finding parts shouldnt be impossible.

posted by  StiMan

Is it twin turbo vr-4 if so jump at the chance. Sure they have tranny problems but the eclipse has problems with the bottom end but that didn't stop me.

posted by  Spanky2324

Actually, FI meant Fuel Injected longer than it's meant Forced Induction. And EFI is a more recent development, as injected cars were very often mechanically fuel injected.

Give me an example of an injected car where the injection was denoted by "E"

posted by  ChrisV

that is the most popular response by people selling cars when i ask why the milage is so low. lol

posted by  6000LE

A few Jap engines had "E" designation for electronic fuel injection. Toyota, Daihatsu, Nissan etc 4AGZE, HDE, RB26DET,....

posted by  Wally

So did a few Volvo engines. But I'm talking a car designation or insignia. 90% of people simply never knew the engine designations.

posted by  ChrisV

Trannys in the early model vr-4s cost 7k USD to buy since they can't be rebuilt. Im not sure about the later model cars tho.

btw, the base 3kgt is not the best choice for 9k, but to each his own.

posted by  importluva

I have always been under the impression that EFI and FI mean fuel injected. I suppose FI left the door open for the mechanical type.

posted by  Bino

Yes, but there is a permanent fix for the Eclipse problem... the VR4 trans problem just keeps recurring...

posted by  Bino

4a-gE
sr20dEt
2jz-gtE
and so forth :) the list goes on in nissan and toyota cars.

posted by  HyundaGuy

and in regards to me refering to FI as forced induction, that's because my old man always said "FI and NA" to define the breathing type of the engine.

also, EFI, i know is Electronic Fuel Injection, but i've always refered to that as all types of fuel injection, EXCEPT FOR CARBY!, because i've always called the carbarettor a carby or a sucker.

posted by  HyundaGuy

Of course they still make the spare parts for it. Matinence wont be very costly ....wait...of course it will what am I talking about? Its a damn Mitsubishi :laughing:

posted by  SlipKnoT

Yes that is a bargin take it and run but replacment parts and service can get quit costly. Like for a new headlight is $500.00 a piece. and upgrades are also more expensive but there great cars. Cory

posted by  3000gt guy

Your Message