Honda performance upgrades

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Honda performance upgrades

I have a 1997 Honda Civic LX, I'm looking to spend between 1000-2000 on some upgrades engine/exhaust wise to improve the horsepower. I refuse to put any exterior upgrades on, due to the fact that my car just isn't fast. Currently I'm thinking AEM V2 Intake, and some sort of exhaust system(suggestions on that and anything else to help). Also, just wondering if performance spark plug wires increase acceleration at all? I'm not very knowledgable on cars, I just want to be able to compete w/ my friends cars when driving around. Thanks..

posted by  mike05

Post some pics of your car...I like to see what the subject is.

(lets hope there's no neon lighting on it :laughing: )

posted by  BavarianWheels

here they are...typical civic

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=29&stc=1

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=30&stc=1

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=31&stc=1

posted by  mike05

reminds me of how I parked my car...

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/417000-417999/417409_2_full .jpg

except there was a reason I didn't do it in the garage. Not enough room...

posted by  Satty101

ahh..yes it was a tight squeeze, but needed the lighting....

posted by  mike05

I thought you were only 15 satty

And for the Honda guy there are so many upgrades for Honda just look around i recomend Flowmasters for your exaust....Just becuse my old friend instals them haha anyways just look around online

posted by  Car Guy

I am only 15 until March 10th 2004. why do you....uh...wonder?

posted by  Satty101

Because you said "reminds me of when i parked MY car"

posted by  Car Guy

ya....It was my car (not technically because yes, it was in my dad's name) but it was going to be my firts car. Then my sister ****ed it up so we sold it.

posted by  Satty101

2 grand???? wow. really depends on what you want done you can do a fair amount with 2 grand. exhaust intake. header adjustable cam gear/s depending on wether your b series or D series. cam/s . pssshhh you might even be able to find a turbo kit for 2 grand "maybe"

posted by  Arthur

What about chipping the ECU? It'll probably cost a couple of hundred $$$ and although the difference is only that of around 10bhp but it is noticeable and an uprated exhausted wont offer much more horse power and an uprated rear silencer wont offer any more power..just noise!

posted by  Cliffy

thanks for all the suggestions, i'm definately leaning towards the header and exhaust, and cold air intake, and putting a chip in is a really good idea as long as i have this kind of money to spend...probably won't end up happening until this summer though...just want to do it in some warmer weather, i'll have a couple guys helping me out, so it should all be good. thanks again

posted by  mike05

my suggestion is get a new car.......spending the 2G is worth what the results are going to be

BTW: i was just watching sport car revolution on speedvision and this guy with a prelude had spent $80,000 on mods and they did and dyno test and he ended up getting 156 hp :banghead: :clap: .......i bet he felt like a real winner :laughing:

posted by  JrDragsterPunk

No problem, let us know how you get on! :thumbs:

lol at that idiot spending $$$ on his car for a stunning......156bhp, was it an old Prelude then as the new ones have that bhp standard output..at least!

posted by  Cliffy

yeah, that was my alternative, a different car, if i was going that route, i was thinking possibly a 1997 or 1998 3.0 Acura CL...have you guys heard anything negative on them? I've checked around a bit and they are running anywhere from 6000-8000 which is another 2000 on to what my car cost..so that would work about perfect, just don't want to have to go through the process of selling and loans again..but i think it'd be worth it

posted by  mike05

I was thinking that getting a new car would make more sense as well. However, I was thinking more that spending the 2k on the existing car wouldn't be worth what the results would be.

posted by  snoopewite

dragster punk, bullshit isnt a nice thing to be throwing around mmmk?

There is no way in hell someone could spend 80 grand on a H22 or H23 and not have over 250hp. Same goes with the older B20's and b21s in the older preludes and even the old carby engines. OK?

posted by  Arthur

I dont really think that you should do anything to it maybe just a intake and a chip but that is about it. If you dont think that it is fast than dont try to make it fast.

posted by  BAVARIANM5WORKS

thats it.. wheres SuperJew... someone needs to get slapped...

posted by  jzxTT

LoL.. I could go buy a 300zx N/a, get a swap, and mod the shit out of it and have 800rwhp for 20 thousand. with 80!?!?!?! I could swap a RB26dett in a prelude and get over 1000hp easily with 80k. Think before you speak jrdrag. :screwy:

posted by  jzxTT

For 2g's you shouldnt even ask V2 is a waste of money a intake is an intake. You have 2gs get rid of that motor and put a good one in for 2g's you can get a b16 save up a lil more and get a GSR, but dont get a V2 its not wurth your money.

posted by  boosted99si

or get an FC... Im gettin one for $600. :laughing: www.fc3s.org

posted by  jzxTT

I have a similar problem with my 1996 Toyota Camry. I hope you get good replies.

posted by  Chiefduluth

hi mike the AEM V2 is a good buy what i would do for a an exhaust is buy RS*R ExMag GTII Catback Exaust for the Honda Civic 96-00 http://www.importfan.com/product.asp?0=471&1=473&3=5032 or the HKS exhaust system high power also purchase some headers for the car i would go with a 4:2:1 header the DC sports headers are really good, they make a two piece and one piece do not the difference between them but here is another web site for the headers and the exhaust http://www.andysautosport.com/honda/96_00civicheaders.html / http://www.andysautosport.com/honda/96_00civicexhaust.html with the headers, exhaust, and intake your looking at a gain of anywhere from 30hp-to possibly 50hp this would also empty your pockets around $1350 but well worth it! Also performance spark plug wires do not icrease horsepower but make sure the engine is maintiaing full capacity horsepower meaning w/ regular wires the cureent can not be as strong not sending enough power.

posted by  importfan0103

im sure hes trying to help, but it seems a little advertisish

posted by  mazda6man

Dont listen to these guys, alot of them dont know anything. it wouldnt require 2 grand for exhaust header and intake. Depending on who you go through and what you get, it all depends on who you go through.

Spend maybe about 500/600 on a Good exhaust and bolt it up yourself and Get a header and do the same. Simple stuff, simple buy a new exhaust manifold gasket before you swap the new header on then put that sucker on there, refit the O2 sensor depending on where it goes then Bolt up the new exhaust and installing a cold air intake is easy peasy. ALot of these guys and people in general hate on hondas because they are popular but back in the 80's and early 90's Everybody hated on Imports in general. Hondas just became the most popular so thus they are hated the most. They are idiots so just ignore them. Have fun with whatever decision you make alrighT? dont let others sway your judgement.

posted by  Arthur

Hail the almighty Arthur..he has spoken :hi: I recon Mike's sorted his car now and no longer needs us anyway :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

Your Message