$Money, I Have$ Import, I Need

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  $Money, I Have$ Import, I Need

Ok, so here's the skinny. Big brother turn 16 - needs car to ship his lazy ass around - knows nothing of cars - hands over 5K 2 little bro, who is the "self-proclaimed car genius" - asks little bro 2 get him a good, reliable, car - little bro "self-proclaimed car genius", turns around and asks other (much smarter) people at carforum.com wat the best Asian car is 4 3K. (still need money 4 mods :mrgreen: and repairs :ohcrap: ). by best i mean highest performing, and cheapest 2 repair. he says he can take care of insurance, but cant be 2 high. the 5 K needs to be spent on repairs 2, which might (probably) take all the money, so any help would be appreciated!!

Thanx,
Slapshot - Self-Proclaimed Car Genius

posted by  Slapshot

You being the car genious, heh i say

posted by  99integra

:evil: thanks alot :evil: u dont speak to the car genius like that

posted by  Slapshot

you don't speak to 99integra like that you little weiner :evil:

posted by  99integra

How about a Toyota Camry?

posted by  SlipKnoT

I vote a honda civic or accord...if you can find one for that cheap around you

posted by  GonnaDie4TheGov

Better yet, a Honda Accord with a V6 instead of those little pussy under powered 4 bangers they put in them :thumbs:

posted by  SlipKnoT

Hey now!!! my car is a 4 cylinder and its pretty damn quick. Plus i get awesome gas mileage. Plus if he has only a few grand he won't be able to find a v6. So stfu :fu:

It was just a statement. I wasnt bagging on your car or the 4 cylinder engines, they were just under powered. The V6 is much better. He woul actually be able to find on with a V6 for $3000 or less. I see them all the time.

posted by  SlipKnoT

Well around where i am people suck. I paid 4 grand for my 96 accord lx and it was worth about 7. Everything around me is overpriced when it comes to cars. :banghead: Though have you ever driven an accord 4 cylinder? Everyone who gets in my car swears that the car is a v6. I find it funny. Even my dad, who studied and drove my car before i bought it, thought it was a v6 till i told him like 2 weeks ago :laughing:

I will say that they do hold their own. I have driven an older one. 1993 Honda Accord LX and it was a 4cyl. It was pretty quick for such a heavy car. The V6 model still smokes it though

posted by  SlipKnoT

Well no matter what the v6 is going to be faster b/c its a more powerful engine. But b/c i have a pretty powerful 4 cylinder and a pretty light body i hold my own against quite a few v6's

What?!

I will ignore that statement to prevent a large flame war...but seriously though, Accord 4 cylinders do hold their own very well. They actually will handle better than their V6 counterparts, and the difference in acceleration is not that dramatic, due to the weight difference. In stock form, my Accord did 130 mph. The latest Accord V6's (although yes, governed) have only just started achieving that in their latest generation.

posted by  hondaman

Everyone and their mother has an Accord or a Civic.

And whats wrong with domestics?

If he wants performance mixed with durability, maybe a 2nd gen Supra or a Celica GT would be good.

posted by  Oomba

1st of all reliablilty is what's wrong with domestics.

2nd of all a 2nd gen Supra although not a bad idea, can be pretty costly when it comes to repairs. And a Celica might(keyword might) not cut it on performance for the price.

So Basically...
It all depends on what your brother plans to do with his car. FF and FR have many differences which should be taken into consideration. Research Research Research.

I would say go for a 2nd gen Integra GSR. These can be bought, fixed, and be made pretty fast for under 5k. (Not to mention the B18 is one mean Honda machine)
If FF's don't float your boat (or your brother's), then I would have to say an 89 Nissan 240 SX (S13). Depending on where you live, you could get one for under 3k, fix what needs fixing, and drop a SR20DET from Japan, more or less for 5k. The only reason I didn't get a Nissan Silvia myself was because I basically couldn't afford one. :cry:

Good luck with everything, and let us know what what you decide. :thumbs:

posted by  elchango36

American cars are perfectly reliable.

The All-Trac Celica makes 200 horsepower. I would hope thats enough for a stock vehicle.

posted by  Oomba

Those are incredibly hard to find, and one for under 3k would be a damn miracle :laughing:

posted by  SlipKnoT

Actually i've seen 2 around here for under $3,000 (one was $2,500 obo) but had kinda higher mileage.

posted by  car_crazy89

Around here you never see that. :laughing: All the tuners have taken them and realize they cant pay for them so turn around and sell them for $6000+.

posted by  SlipKnoT

No he wont...

The V6 model didnt even appear until the 5th model generation (94-97) and even then it didnt come out until the 95 model year in the 5th generation. Even my old 90 LX four banger Accord without the audio equipment could get me around $1750. Even a 95 LX V6 sedan should get $5000 if in good shape. I've never come across any V6 accord under $4000. And the one that was $4000 had 190k miles on it...

Plus the good V6 Accord didnt come until the 6th generation (98-02). Which were the J30 powered versions with 200hp. The 5th gen V6 was C27 powered and had only 170hp. Not a big difference over a EX four banger which had 145hp all through the 5th generation. The big difference came when the J30 V6 came out in 98 and it had 200hp while the four banger (F23) Accord had only 150hp tops. And a 98 V6 Accord isnt anywhere near $3000...

posted by  thunderbird1100

Very very true....i wanted a 98-02 v6 so bad :banghead: friend of mine has one and everytime i see it i want it

Well... everyone says 2 go 4 the accord, so i think that's what i'm going 2 do.

posted by  Slapshot

Well good luck with it! :thumbs:

posted by  hondaman

i have a Hyundai Excel, mum's got a Mazda 626 and dad's got a Ford Falcon, sister has a TA Torana, her boyfriend has a VN Commodore, brother has a VK, VB, VC, VH, VN, VS, VR, VT, VP, VY and soon a VZ Commodore, '94 Supra and a custom made Sil80*1580*.

not a civic in the bunch?

posted by  HyundaGuy

You wanna try that again, genious?

:banghead:

posted by  ChrisV

He did post in the "Asian Imports" section, so i assume he wants an Asian car, so even though Domestics are perfectly fine, lets just answer the boy.

I'm not sure if you can get a S13 with a SR20 conversion for under 5k. The car itself will cost around 2 grand USD, and the motor/ tranny will probaly cost around 2-3000 dollarsr , and this is without the installation fee. And 2grand is loose, it depends on whether you get the S13, S14 SR20, red top or black top, and of couse mileage.

I would go with the accord as well, maybe 92-94 integra, my cousin owned one; it was pretty damn quick. Back to the accord, the 4 cylinder engines in the accord are extremely reliable, my parents owned a 92 EX-R, never took it to the mechanics once.

posted by  aerith

my accord is a 96 and besides a few minor things like the egr valve going its all 100% original parts. Nothing has gone wrong with and and it doesn't look like anything will in the near future. I am seriously not worried that something will go just b/c its a honda lol :thumbs:

Sure... Allow me to refraise. Imports last longer/are more reliable than Domestics. It's not that American made automobiles are not reliable, its that they're less reliable than their Japanese counterparts.

posted by  elchango36

Well, it depends on when the car was made. Recent Domestics seem to be pretty reliable, but we will not know how they are longterm until 10 years later. But, in the past, the Japanese Imports were more reliable as long as you purchase either Toyota, Honda, or Nissan, the other lesser brands may not be as reliable. At least from my personal experience that is, of course there are many variables and exceptions involved. Although, recently, domestics have made great strides in reliability.

Think about the price range, with 5000 dollars, he is stuck with buying used cars almost a decade old. Considering the age, i would say Japanese imports in that price range age better then most domestics in that class.

posted by  aerith

How many 40 year old Japanese cars you see around you?

Again, I like all cars, but how youcare for a car determines how long it will be around. My '81 Chevy Citation Had 323k miles on it when I gave it away. my CRX always needed some major work...

posted by  ChrisV

I don't see many 40 year old cars at all.

posted by  fudge

I have one in my garage, and 2 more on their way over from Seattle. Plus, my folks have a few, and my last Falcon daily driver was 40 years old. Hell, look on Ebay, and you'll see LOTS of cheap domestics still going strong 40-50 years later (separate from teh musclecars). How many Japanese cars from the '60s, 70s, and early '80s do you see? Most of them have rusted into oblivion.

Unless you're in California or southern Oregon, where the climate keeps many of them around...

The point is, again, it's how you care for the car that matters, not where it comes from.

posted by  ChrisV

Older American cars are jsut history here. I bet if you go to Japan you will see quite a few older cars. Its all about the country. And that many years ago none of the companies were really popular here in the U.S. and had very few availible cars. So back in the day they weren't so appealing. But thats my :2cents:

40 year old Japanese imports here? I don't think so, Honda only started selling cars in the US in 1970; the N200. Toyota started selling cars in the states in the late 50's, but they only had two models; the land cruiser and the Toyopet. The Land Cruiser is a great car, and you can still find them around, excluding the renewed land crusier line. Also, the amount of them sold in the states were in the low 3000's at that time. This is compared to upwards of 35,000 american cars sold per year in the states. And these are the two largest Japanese Automobile Manufacturers. So, there better be more 40 year old domestics around then japanese imports, if not; then its just plain sad.

Also, the Honda Automobile Department has just been established then, so you can't expect great cars right from the get go. Considering the age of most Japanese Manufacturers and Domestic Manufacturers, there is a big difference in development speed.

posted by  aerith

Nissan Altima/Maxima anyone?Infiniti G20 maybe? The years and mileage vary greatly but you can get pretty new G20's for cheap. I would also recomend the Mazda Protoge if you want a newer economy car but you don't want a Civic like everyone else.

In the 60's, Datsun 2000 Roadsters were hot and the little known Nissan Patrol is a cool alternative to the Toyota FJ Land Cruiser for an old school 4x4 as far back as the 50's.

posted by  VG30DE

You heard him, do what the man says :smoke:

posted by  99integra

Your Message