'95 Eclipse GS - Replacing shifting column

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  '95 Eclipse GS - Replacing shifting column

Hello,

I recently acquired my first car, a '95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS. It is in excellent condition; 73K miles, clutch is in great condition, very well taken care of.

The leather that covers the space between the shifter and the console/column is slightly torn in one place; what would it take to replace the shifter and leather? I'd like to go for something that is seen in the newer Eclipses; shorter shifter.

What are some good websites that I can start reading up about this? Some direction would be much appreciated. :)

posted by  Justin Hancock

il assume you mean the shift boot, and thats a pretty easy thing to come upon... you can get one at schucks, or even ebay, and it shouldnt be to expensive. as for a shorter shifter, id just look at ebay or something as well, youle find one

posted by  mazda6man

Hey if it helps B&M makes a short throw shifter for your car, it's around a 170 dollars from summitt. The parts number is BMM-45077. A new shifter is one of the best mods you can make, it was the first thing I did to my mustang and it just makes the car much funner to drive.

posted by  itslow

Still nobody's explained how to remove the (well I call it a 'gaiter' but when in Rome...) shift boot.
Here's what you could do: -
1. Take off the gear knob. It'll either unscrew or it'll have a screw in its neck.
2. Take off the shift boot somehow.
3. Saw some length off the gearlever. Be aware that the more you shorten the lever, the heavier the gear change will be due to less leverage.
4. Put a new shift boot back on. If the original gear knob was screwed on then you'd need an aftermarket gear knob with a grub screw. That's because you'd have sawn off the thread at the top of the lever for the gear knob to screw onto.

If you don't like the look of those directions then mazda6man and itslow have already recommended a short throw kit. What they didn't explain is that these kits include a replacement linkage for a quicker gear change as well as a shorter lever and a sporty gear knob.

An alternative to what mazda6man and itslow have suggested is to buy a car magazine for the adverts from companies that sell the items that have been mentioned in this thread.

posted by  snoopewite

Snoop gave some good advice but most of your shifters don't come with knobs, no biggie, I used the stock shifter knob on mine till I found a billet one that I liked.

posted by  itslow

That's fair enough itslow. I shouldn't have assumed that all short throw kits include gear knobs.

I had a look in my Toyota and saw the screws in the entire panel that surrounds my automatic stick. That answers how you would take off the shift boot. You take the screws out of the panel, remove it and then you can get to the bottom of the shift boot. You then leave the panel off until you've reattached the new shift boot.
I can't see any screws in this photograph of the interior of a Mitsubishi Eclipse but they should be there somewhere.
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/518000-518999/518227_9_full .jpg
I'm still wondering though if there's any point to a shift boot frame.

Justin Hancock, are you there?

posted by  snoopewite

I'll say no. He got everything from you he wanted and left. We're prostitutes to the faceless internet assholes.

posted by  vwhobo

Oh, I see http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/happy/thebirdman.gif

posted by  snoopewite

That's a coincidence that we both replied to this thread at the same time. Do you look to see who's viewing what thread very often?

posted by  snoopewite

Religiously, between rounds of beating my wife and torturing little animals.

posted by  vwhobo

I couldn't quite work that response out until it occurred to me that my question could have been interpreted more as an accusation. I didn't mean to sound sarcastic. I was mainly wanting to point out that I hadn't just sent my post after reading yours.

posted by  snoopewite

It never occured to me that way. Besides, I've been accused of much worse things by much better people. :laughing::laughing:

posted by  vwhobo

:ticking: Better in what way?

posted by  snoopewite

Lighten up Snoope, you're sounding like dicklessdodgeboy.

posted by  vwhobo

Again, we're having problems with not being able to hear each other's tone of voice. I set you up for some friendly 'piss ripping' as we English like to say but now that I think about, that would have been impossible because I'm simply perfect... that time I was being sarcastic about the "perfect" bit :mrgreen:

posted by  snoopewite

Your Message