Part Name?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Part Name?

I can't remember the name of this part that like 2 hours ago i was having an entire conversation about :banghead: . Its the part that makes that high pitched air release sound in a car when shifting. I was informed that you can get these for automatics now and if it was a decent price i would maybe buy one..only b/c it sounds nicer. Please help me if you know the name and/or who makes one for an auto trans?

posted by  GonnaDie4TheGov

Blow-off valve?....

posted by  SlipKnoT

thats it!!!!! that was bothering me so much that i couldn't remember

the blow off valve(BOV) doesn't make a noise when you shift gears, it releases boost into the atmosphere from a forced induction engine when releasing the throttle.

the whole process for releasing boost with a BOV also involves a dump pipe, what happens is the boost from the turbo, flows through the dump pipe, hits the closed up butterfly wall from the throttle body, then it doubles back through the dump pipe into the now open butterfly wall from the BOV and releases into the atmosphere.

basically, a BOV isn't just for show, it's actually a helpful instrument when it comes to an engine with forced induction, a piston blow off valve is actually recommended for high powered turbo/supercharged cars.

most of japans high powered drag cars and street cars have piston BOV's with high powered HKS Turbo's, it's actually quite interesting when you start to learn about it.

posted by  HyundaGuy

HKS, GReedy, GO FAST BITS, BLITZ etc... they'll all supply an 'automatic' BOV, all BOV's fit anything, the transmission has nothing to do with it really, just aslong as you have a engine with a forced induction then you can have a BOV.

you can also get a Compression Release Valve (CRV), it just releases high compression combustions into the atmosphere, it's the same basic concept as a BOV.

posted by  HyundaGuy

Well i have a 4 cylinder 96 accord auto...which one do you recommend for mine? Also price?

:screwy: - so what makes the noise then?

posted by  windsonian

has it got a forced induction? if not, is the c/r over 13:1?

posted by  HyundaGuy

is boost passing through the blow off valve, so technically, the BOV doesn't make the noise, the boost passing through it does, therefore, the four stroke cycle makes it from goin' through the turbo, through the dump pipe, double backing up through the BOV.

in other words, the BOV helps release the boost into the atmosphere, in the process it makes a PHIIISSS sound.

posted by  HyundaGuy

I am semi-new to working on cars...what is forced induction? though now you prob think im an idiot lol :doh:

Now come to think of it when my and friend were talking about intake i believe he said my car is a forced induction, thats why i can use a ram air or something...it was like 2 or 3 months ago

:screwy: What in the hell was your friend talking about lol There are no Accords (or pretty much any Honda for that matter) that are force inducted from the factory.

A car with forced induction is a car that has a blower (basically a huge supercharger), supercharger, or a turbocharger.

posted by  SlipKnoT

Im pretty sure his car (since its stock) doesnt have a forced induction system on it. Or high compression for that matter. If he wants to turbo charge his car, he needs to start with the basics (i.e. cold air intake, header, exhaust system, etc.) He'll also have to get a better ECU.

posted by  SlipKnoT

I have ram air intake, im getting headers, and a muffler...the rest of the exhaust is brand new so im not even gonna bother to change it. If i need anything else then w/e im not gonna worry about it. I jsut thought it might be something different

You could get a small turbo set up from Turbonetics for a reasonable price. It would only put out about 6-8psi. It would add about 40+hp.

posted by  SlipKnoT

How much?

Ok lets see....what year and model is your Accord? And is it a 2 door or 4 door?

posted by  SlipKnoT

1996 Accord Lx 2Dr. 2.2 liter 4 Cylinder Engine

If your a ricer you can hook up a BOV to a can of CO2 and rig it to a button it releases CO2 when you press it.

But by the time you put all the work in and money it would be more worthwhile to just go buy a damn turbo setup.

posted by  Oomba

I assume you're joking .... that's like saying a trumpet doesn't make sound, the air moving through it does.

Would it make the sound without the BOV? Would you get a trumpet sound without the trumpet?

posted by  windsonian

That post was just a waste of time to write. And since you said that you must have exp. with rigging up ricers.

you mean charge pipe, the dump pipe is what comes off your wastegate and feeds back into the exhaust. the blow off vale is on the charge pipe from your turbo or intercooler to your throttle body

posted by  airmanUSN

The truth is slowly coming out :clap:

posted by  fudge

Nah, you just wouldnt beleive the amount of ricers in my area that brag about this kind of stuff.

posted by  Oomba

Well you listen to them? All you do on here is bash them not even listen. Plus if you talk to them they must be your friends. :laughing:

You overhear alot of things in the halls of high schools.

Plus ricers like to invade car get togethers around here

posted by  Oomba

Its the same around here with the car get togethers.... :banghead:

posted by  SlipKnoT

we don't think you're an idiot... :wink2:

posted by  dodger65

Im happy to say in my town there are so few ricers its very nice. Though like 30 min away there is a larger town that, not to be racist or anything, has alot of ricans so they all have two tone crx's or early 90's integras with big wings and fart cans. My mom works there so all the time i hear her say that i better not turn my accord into a ghetto ride like that :laughing:

Well i know more about other aspects of cars but alot of stuff still bewilders me :doh:

hey, i'm just messin' w/ ya. i'm an insufferable smartass by nature... hence, the :laughing:

:thumbs:

posted by  dodger65

My city is crawling with ricers. But there is a nice suberb of my city that has alot of muscle cars and stuff.

posted by  Oomba

my town is crawling with muscle... everyone used to bring their cars to this restaraunt parking lot every week and show em off... then the placed closed :banghead:

posted by  markymark3

We have pretty much the same thing. They do it on Thursday nights. Its funny when ricers try to pull in they have people that tell them they arent allowed to park in the lot that has the nice cars in it.

posted by  Oomba

how's the trumpet goin' to make sound without the air running through it?

how's the BOV goin' to release the boost into the atmosphere without the boost in the first place.

in aus we call it a dump pipe.

posted by  HyundaGuy

If you're going to be that picky about it: it's the air passing through the valve, with the dynamics of it causing vibrations (waves) at an audible frequency. It's not "boost" passing through it.

And with the trumpet, you still need the resonance due to the material properties of the instrument to make the desired sound, not just the air. You would still say the trumpet is making the sound, wouldn't you?

I guess this would be the best way to explain it: The air is always going to be there in a turbo system, but it will only make the sound if the BOV releases the pressure - to me, that says that the BOV is making the sound. Sure the valve wouldn't make the noise without the air, but that is the purpose of the valve, I can't think of any inert object that just makes noise on its own without an outside influence. Refer Newton's 1st Law of motion.

What you're saying is like saying that spoilers/wings etc do not provide downforce for a car (I'm talking about fast cars that actually use them for performance), the air flowing around the wing does. Which is true, but shows little common-sense to say that the wing doesn't create the downforce. The airflow over the car is always going to be there, the wing just utilises it.

posted by  windsonian

very well said, now you see my point, even with the part, without the induction, the part wont work, so the part is useless without the forced induction.... yes?

posted by  HyundaGuy

I know exactly what you're saying (I like getting into pedantic details to prove generally irrelevant points too :laughing: for the sake of winning an argument), but the question was, what part makes the sound. I say BOV, you say air.... I'm pretty sure I know which answer he was after.

posted by  windsonian

to be exact, it's a valve inside of the BOV that makes the part.

but yes, you're correct, when i was saying that the air makes the sound i meant without the air, the BOV would be useless, that was my whole point.

YES, i admit, you've explained it better.

posted by  HyundaGuy

(SORRY BOUT THE DOUBLE POST)

also, when it comes to the c/r being below 13:1, you can't exactly put a CRV on it, mainly because it doesn't have a high compression to release.

basically, without a REALLY high c/r or a forced induction, a BOV/CRV is useless!

posted by  HyundaGuy

Your Message