preludes

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  preludes

Could somebody give me the prelude engines that take premium gas, or a link to a chart that shows it? Thanks

posted by  Accord_Man

What do you mean the prelude engine? Like the name? They have a h22 in em. At least the newer ones do, and they take premium.

posted by  Vlad

from 92 up to 01 not all had h22s

posted by  Accord_Man

i think ludes had all H model engines, from H20 - H22.

i'm not exactly sure, ask Hondaman, he'd know, lol.

posted by  HyundaGuy

:)

Here is a basic list of Prelude engines:

1979-1983: 1.8 or 1.6 L I-4, engine EK.
1983-1987: 1.8 L I-4, engine A18.
1988-1991: 2.0 L I-4, engine B20.
1992-1996: 2.2 L I-4, engine F22.
1997-2001: 2.2 L I-4, engine H22.

Fuel recommendations:
1979-1983: 87 octane (regular)
1983-1987: 87 octane
1988-1991: 87 octane
1992-1996: 87 octane
1997-2001: 92 octane (premium)

posted by  hondaman

Just like to note the 88-91 had also a B21. The 92-96 also had a h23 and h22 available.

posted by  thunderbird1100

So basically all of the H series engines required premium gas, all right, thats all I needed to know, thanks everybody.

posted by  Accord_Man

like i said, ask hondaman, lol.

posted by  HyundaGuy

lol, yepper

posted by  Accord_Man

Small correction with my post, the H22 and F22 are obviously 2.2 liters, not the 2.0 liters which I originally posted... :screwy:

posted by  hondaman

Why the new octane change? the 2nd to last generation has the same compression ratio and displacement as the last generation. Why 92?

posted by  Godlaus

H22's have a 10.6:1 compression ratio, F22's have a 8.8:1 compression ratio.

Displacement is very close, H22's having a 2157cc displacement and F22's having a 2156cc displacement.

posted by  hondaman

Ah, my bad. My reference site pointed toward 10.0:1 for both of them.

posted by  Godlaus

wow, F22's sound like a mint choice for a turbo/supercharger kit, what would they come at off the shelf?

posted by  HyundaGuy

Yeah the F23 in my accord is .1 liters bigger than the F22 and 5 more horsepower, the c/r is in the 8 range, I don't know exactly what it is but if anybody knows where to find it it would be appreciated.

posted by  Accord_Man

F22's made 135 hp and 142 lb-ft. of torque.

posted by  hondaman

sounds different, lol, never heard of anyone stroking an accord engine.

would it be possible to get a 300cc stroker kit? or are the cylinder cells to close together?

either way, if i could, i'd get one, stroke it to a 2.5ltr, turbo it and then drop it in my old excel, lol.

posted by  HyundaGuy

what engine did the NSX Type-ZERO come with? i've been puzzled for years trying to work it out damnit!

posted by  HyundaGuy

hold on now which F22 are we talkin about, I didn't know there were so many different variants.

posted by  Accord_Man

I think it is a C32...not exactly sure on that one.

posted by  hondaman

that's why Honda confuse me, they've got SOO MANY types of engines. you look at the B18 base, there's like the B and C, different numbers and so forth, i mean like.. c'mon.. TO MUCH INFO FOR MY LITTLE BRAIN!!..

i guess if u want to know about it all, you've gotta completely devote your car knowledge to that style of manufactorer.

personally, i'd love to know heaps about all types of cars, i'm only 17, i've got plenty of time to learn.

posted by  HyundaGuy

The engine I am referring to was found in the 1992-1996 Prelude S models, specific engine label is F22A1.

posted by  hondaman

jesus, you ARE the HONDAMAN!, nobody knows that shit! i was starting to thikn that they never even named the bloody engine, just left it as a 3.2ltr V6, lol.

also, what about the 3.0ltr? would that be the C30?... i just wanna learn, lol.

posted by  HyundaGuy

see, that's the whole different series of codes i was talkin' about! CONFUSED!! CONFUSED!!

posted by  HyundaGuy

LOL, thanks. The 1991-1996 Acura NSX's were powered by yep, the C30A.

posted by  hondaman

you know how the 'C' series is transverse mounted?

well, since it's a RWD mounted engine, would it fit in something like an AE86? i'm not to sure on the crossmembers for the trans but, i'd just love to do something completely different.

also, if not, then would it fit in a civic or something like that? considering it's a transverse mounted engine and it's probably a transverse mounted box with twin driveshafts, i'm guessin' that it'd more then likely fit straight into a civic... with obvious mods to the engine... lol.

posted by  HyundaGuy

ok in that case my F23 has 15 more peak horses, I wonder about the possibilities if I put the turbonetics turbo kit it with a hondata S300 ( I'm trying to not get a boner), the only F22 I knew about earlier was the one in the 94-97 accords and they had 145 hp

posted by  Accord_Man

To be quite honest...I'm not real sure about engine swaps with that. I've never seen one in real life, so I don't really know just how big the whole thing is...I'd say you would probably have some difficulty planting one in a Civic, from my best guess lol. Even less certain about the AE86...but I think just offhand with that you could probably work it in somehow...

posted by  hondaman

alright! HAHA!, i've always wanted to get a 3.2ltr (C32, so i just found out) engine and drop it in an '84 CR-X, lol! always thought it'd be a mint idea! :D

posted by  HyundaGuy

Yep, all 94-97 Accords were powered by F22B1's or B2's, depending on trim.

posted by  hondaman

so do you have a chart or something that shows all honda engines and their specs, cuz I do :hi:

posted by  Accord_Man

what's the specs on a C32?

posted by  HyundaGuy

theres the link but it doesn't have anything on NSXs
http://www.streettuners.com/curve/engine/engine_specs.html#accord

posted by  Accord_Man

Why does Japan get to have the faster versions? Don't we drive faster? I mean you look at videos from there and all you see is small crowded streets. What do they need that extra hp for?

posted by  GonnaDie4TheGov

For some. :wink2: For some, like my car and a few of the 'ludes, I just remember.

posted by  hondaman

I know it makes 350 hp. As far as torque goes, I'm not certain.

posted by  hondaman

The F series isnt a strong interned engine (EXCLUDING the f22c and f20b)...plus the newest F series you'll find around (besides the S2000) is in 02 Accords. Which means they already have a good amount of miles racked up on them. Never good to turbocharge any N/A car that already has high miles. Most F series turbo cars running around (really ALL that I've seen) have had fully rebuilt inners.

Just like to note the first F series enigne ever came out in the 1990 model year...and it's in my Accord! The F22a1.

Stock and happy with it's 2156cc displacement, SOHC, 8.8:1 CR, 125hp and 137tq. But look at the newest F series engine...The F22c. 250hp, DOHC, ~11:1 CR and a lot more torque than my f22a1 :thumbs: It's about at its end though. Only the S2000 still holds a F series engine in all of Hondas lineup to today. And that's soon to change in the next 2 years probably.

Your better off dropping in a J32 from a 2003 Acura TL Type S or the J30 V6 from the Accord. The J32 produces 260hp at crank, 232 ft lbs. The J30 found in the accord produces only 240hp at crank and 232 ftlbs of torque.
Although, Comptech does make a Supercharger kit for the 03 J32. But that's quite dangerous considering the J-series engines are quite high strung, the 03 version has a compression ratio of 10.5:1 and the 04 has 11:1

posted by  aerith

Unless they were a 95-97 V6 model, in which they had a C27.

J30 is 212tq.

Be Better if he could get his hands on a new J35 from the RL. 300hp and 260tq :mrgreen:

dude, hondaman said just before that the C32 produces over 350hp, that's a bit better then 260hp at the crank, yeah?, lol.

still, we don't know what the c/r is, redline, torque figures/torque band or anything like that, i'd love to know EVERYTHING about the engine, anyone willing to google it up while i'm at school?

posted by  HyundaGuy

Oh, i must've got the torque numbers mixed up. Yeah, the J35 would be awesome, but its so rare. At least the J32 you can easily obtain them from old TL-S, but the J35 is a new engine, impossible to attain unless you buy a new RL.

More power, but it's harder to get into the car. At least the J-series is a front mounted engine and not a mid mounted engine.

posted by  aerith

good point mate, i'd still love a C series engine in an '84 cr-x, a lot better then the d16, lol.

posted by  HyundaGuy

And no, the newest C32 (C32b2? i believe) doesnt make 350hp, nor did any C32 from the factory. Most power it ever made (dyno backed) was about 300hp at the crank.

alrighty, buuuuut.... >>

now you see why i wrote that?

posted by  HyundaGuy

Yes, and he was blatantly wrong.

The torque figure on the enwest one is 225 crank tq.

http://www.acura.com/models/nsx_specs_results.asp

Blantantly I don't know about...

But, damn google search lined up Acura NSX type zero with the specs of a C5 Corvette for some odd reason. Correct ratings are 290 hp and 224 lb-ft. of torque.

posted by  hondaman

Yes those are Honda's SAE hp ratings.

hey guys, i have a 4th gen (92-96) prelude si with the stock h23a in it. i recently walked into a gas station and the technician who rung me up suggested i use 89 octane in my 'lude instead of 91, even though the manual suggests 91. he said that using the 91 results in getting my headers/gaskets blown quicker. oh, yeah, and he also said i'm releasing more pollutants into the air. what do you guys think? will switching to 89 help my engine as well as make my car more efficient?

posted by  odds

Your Message