Modifications for my car?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Modifications for my car?

Hi, i just want some opinions on what modifications i should do to my car. I own a Acura TL.
I was thinking of;
1.) Comptech Headers(when they come out, which is rumored to be soon),
2.) Apex or AEM CAI systems
3.) Grounding kit
4.) Injen Exhaust system
5.) Tein shocks and coilcovers (i'm heard someone say these are the shocks used in the A-Spec package, and i heard they are pretty good; good performance without sacrificing comfort)

I have no plans for the brakes yet, since i have stock 13 inch brembo's up front. Of course, not all at once, this is just a list of what i want to do, i'm not made of money. What else do you suggest?

posted by  aerith

Maybe some other things to rigid it up more, like one of those roll bars that go underneath the car :2cents:

posted by  99integra

Underneath the car? That's pushing the weight isnt it? Its already quite......for the lack of a better word; portly. Also, I was thinking of maybe a Comptech Titanium Front Strut bar to replace the stock one.

posted by  aerith

That would be nice, but the thing i am talking about would put a lil weight on but you could pull like 2g's on the skidpad(not really) :laughing:

posted by  99integra

aa little bit of weight on the car but it makes the chassis a lot better i think you should do the suspension first to make it handle better than it already does that would be a good idea to do that first. and then you can do the performance mods

posted by  mx3_monster

Somebody post the full specs of his car

posted by  importluva

Type V-6, aluminum block and heads
Bore x stroke 3.50 x 3.39 in, 89.0 x 86.0mm
Displacement 196 cu in, 3210cc
Compression ratio 11.0:1
Fuel-delivery system port injection
Valve gear belt-driven single overhead cams, 4 valves per
cylinder, hydraulic lifters, variable
intake-valve timing and lift
Power (SAE net) 270 bhp @ 6200 rpm
Torque (SAE net) 238 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm
Redline 6800 rpm
Transmission 6-speed manual
Final-drive ratio 3.29:1, limited slip

Gear ... Ratio ... Mph/1000 rpm ... Max. test speed
I ... 3.93 ... 5.7 ... 38 mph (6800 rpm)
II ... 2.48 ... 9.0 ... 61 mph (6800 rpm)
III ... 1.70 ... 13.1 ... 89 mph (6800 rpm)
IV ... 1.25 ... 17.8 ... 121 mph (6800 rpm)
V ... 0.98 ... 22.8 ... 152 mph (6650 rpm)
VI ... 0.77 ... 28.9 ... 152 mph (5250 rpm)

Wheelbase 107.9 in
Track, front/rear 62.1/62.0 in
Length/width/height 186.2/72.2/56.7 in
Ground clearance 5.8 in
Curb weight 3521 lb
Weight distribution, F/R 59.8/40.2%
Curb weight per horsepower 13.0 lb
Fuel capacity 17.0 gal

Front ind, unequal-length control arms, coil springs,
anti-roll bar
Rear ind; 2 lateral links, 2 diagonal links, and 1
toe-control link per side; coil springs; anti-roll bar

posted by  aerith

Oof, thats a prety heavy car you have, but thats expected of luxury cars. Im assuming its a FWD?

posted by  importluva

Unfortunately, yeah. Thats the only gripe i have about the car, but i guess it has its pros too. It handles better in the snow then its RWD counterparts like the BMW or the G35 which fishtails out of control easily in extremely wet conditions. But who wants to drive a semi-luxury car in the snow?

Yeah, it's very heavy, but when i drive it, it feels extremely nimble, and it never feels sluggish. Actually it feels much speedier then the RSX, it's probaly because the power comes in much lower, and it has much more torque then the RSX-S.

posted by  aerith

you should buy a twin turbo kit for it ...that would be pretty sick

posted by  black_plague

a twin turbo k20? well, i think that'd strain it quite a bit, lol.

keep in mind it's only an I4 and most people just go with a single T67 turbo on it with HEAVILY modified internals and electronics!

posted by  HyundaGuy

Rebuild the engine, turbo, boost controller, turbo timer, big fat spark plug wires and performance plugs, better fuel injectors, better clutch, lightweight flywheel, new gears, aftermarket ignition system, suspension, nitrous, Z rated tires (if not so equipped), racing ECU...

posted by  Oomba

i thought the tl was a v6?

posted by  black_plague

yeah my bad, i was thinkin' bout the rsx, i'm at school, kinda hard to keep up with this and do my work at the same time, lol.

posted by  HyundaGuy

yeah i was just looking at specs and i was like i know im not retarded am i...then i seen the engines code is J32A3 ....so i was like ok i am right..lol

posted by  black_plague

Some kind of weight saving would be nice.

posted by  abless

It's not a problem if you know how to DRIVE IN THE SNOW WITH A RWD CAR. If you don't you probably shouldn't learn on a $35k car. If you take a TL and a G35 into a turn with the clutch pressed in, the G isn't going to fishtail anymore than the TL. I wouldn't say it handles better, but it definitely handles differently. Understeer or Oversteer in wet conditions. You pick. I've made up my mind :wink2: . Oh and who wants to drive a semi-luxury car in the snow? This guy. My RWD J30 gets sideways all winter, everywhere. I feel that in a FWD you only have control over your front end but in a RWD you have control over both ends, which I like in the snow.

posted by  VG30DE

Let it breathe first. Get a good exhaust system (the J series engines are all corked up by restrictive exhausts, you should see at LEAST 10 CRANK hp from a good cat-back). I highly suggest the Comptech exhaust for it. Dyno proven for a 7.5whp increase and peak wheel hp goes from 230.5hp - 237hp. Torque peak goes up from 206 - 208tq (but you see an average of a 5-6tq increase from 1000-4400rpms). Personally I'm not a huge fan of the sound Injen exhausts tend to throw. The Comptech exhaust sounds extremely throaty and low :thumbs:

Next get some good headers. Then add a good cold air intake (i suggest Injen RD). You should be over the 300hp mark with those three upgrades.

posted by  thunderbird1100

In the wet conditions, the G handles much worse. I've never driven it, but my friend owns one and we were both driving in the rain, he said he was having trouble keeping it in line, or it could be that he just sucks. haha. I chose not to buy the G35, those two were the final choices, but the TL has a nicer interior and i think the exterior styling is nicer, but one of the biggest deciding factors was the gas efficency. The G uses 30% more of the same premium gas. And, it has a 10hp decrease (2004 version), but 20lbs of torque increase.

A Turbo would be nice, but the compression ratio is 11:1, thats pretty high, if I put a turbo in, the chances of "knocking" would increase. There are no weight loss modification i can really do, i can't exactly rip out all the luxuries, i'm stuck with a giant heavy car either way.

posted by  aerith

Eh, its still an Acura, the nicest one until the RL came out :hi:
I have about 10 pennies saved for that beauty :laughing:

posted by  99integra

Props to ya. The TL to me is a better overall car than even the new G35 w/ 280hp. While now the G35 is a little quicker, they still handle about the same and the G35's interior is clearly a step below the TL's.

RWD > FWD. Period. They don't handle the same. 19/26 vs. 20/29? How is that 30%? That isn't even 10%. TL probably does have a better interior and I'll bet the clutch/shifter feels better, but nice and nicer interior doesn't really make me want a FWD Honda. I've sat in both and if I wanted the sport sedan with the nicest interior, I would pick a 3 liter X-Type. I'd rather have the sport sedan with the most sport, and that is the 298 hp Nissan, unless you can afford another $6-8k for a 330i.

posted by  VG30DE

RWD and FWD certainly are two different platforms, but just because one car is FWD and the other RWD doesnt mean the FWD handles worse. An Integra Type-R will seriously make a Mustang GT look lost in the twisties.

Have you driven a 6spd A-spec TL or just a plain 6spd TL? They handle INCREDIBLY well for a heavy FWD car. Having driven both the TL A-Spec 6spd and the 260hp 6spd G35 I can easily say the TL is a much better car i nevery category. It handles more securely, has more power, has a much MUCH nicer interior, has more features and IMO doesnt look as bland on the outside as the G35 does. I havent driven the newer 298hp 6spd G35 sedan, but from pictures the interior still cant matchup well against the TL. I notice the new G35 and TL have the exact same curb weight (so the G35 will be a notch or two quicker with 28hp more and RWD).

Honestly I tend to think the G35 and TL are both sport luxury sedans. But they are targeted to two different groups. The TL is a sport luxry sedan aimed more towards luxury (but still has plenty of sport) and the G35 is aimed for more sport than luxury (but still has some good luxury features). In a nutshell it all comes down to what the buyer wants just a little more of in their $33k-$35k sport luxury sedan.

Just to comment on one thing you said. The JAg does have a nice interior (Still not up to the TL's par IMO) but would you really want to sacrifice that much power (50hp down from the TL) and handling for something that's known to have a lot of reliability issues?

:laughing: Hell No. I was just trying to make a point. I agree with you completely, except that I actually do love Jag interiors, but not nearly as much as I love RWD.

posted by  VG30DE

I hear ya, I love stepping into my 300zxtt and just having some sliding around fun. But when I had my other Accord (which once modified handled quite a bit better than when my 300zxtt was stock) it didnt bother me one bit.

Your Message