A very basic newb question

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  A very basic newb question

As some of you know by now that i have a 95 240sx and its well......stock :(
the engine only has 70k on it and it runs better than my moms 03 caddy.

So here's my question. On a limited buget what should be upgraded first? My7 friend that knows the in and out of integera's says that you should always upgrade the tire/brake/suspention first but the tires are new (less than 1k on them, and same for the brakes) and the suspention is newer and about a one in. drop in them.
Whats first?

posted by  cnalven

Do whatever you want to do within your budget. Drive your car and ask yourself what is lacking and what can I do about it. the 95 240SX is a great base to work from so you can do quite a bit.

posted by  VG30DE

The first question is how much are you looking to spend? With a smaller budget id suggest getting an intake or cat back system with headers. Give it a good sound with some more horses. Also looking to a turbo kit if you have a bit more money to spend. Also some new rims could look nice with those new tires and lowered body :thumbs:

posted by  GonnaDie4TheGov

The 240sx is a great base car. My friend has one and just finished painting and dropped a SR20 in it. Intake and headers would make it sound nice as for rims I would say some 17'' Rota Slipstreams look good on the 240.

posted by  Spanky2324

What is your current wheel and tire situation. I am assuming stock wheels?

posted by  VG30DE

First, im looking not to spend more than $2000 on it this soon.
Second, the tires and hubs are stock BUT the tires are super soft compound so they will hold there own.
Third, with the paint being white pearl and having multiple scraches and nics on the body that needs to be taken care of.(got a few est. for anywhere from $5 to $500 to fix it.

Also, as of today i found out that my dad droped upwards of $1500 to have the engine cleaned, new hoses, wiring, water pump, timing chain, and a oil leak fixed + a nice set of headers. With one of the crapest detail jobs on earth.

posted by  cnalven

I just rode in my first S14 yesterday. He had $1000 in suspension including Tein Springs and AGX adjustable shocks. We went up the local mountain and I was very impressed. With stock wheels and soft tires it sounds like you mean business. With the leftovers I would reccomend some intake to go with the headers, Nology Hot Wires, and possibly a catback of your choice. All of this could be done for well under $1500 besides the catback, and leave you with money to fix the aesthetics.

posted by  VG30DE

If those Rota Slipstreams are as light as they are clean, then they would be hot on a 240.

posted by  VG30DE

are urs the stock 5 spokes alloy or steelies with hub caps? if steelies ....then buy rims....if alloy, then paint them, gun metal, bronze, gloss black...paint brake caliper...for show, or upgrade them to 300zx brakes. HID...cuz the stock light bulbs are ugly IMO. body kits or lip kits...depends on what u prefer. But please dont get the space ship looking body kits. Carbon Fiber hood...drop the car, springs and shocks, or coilovers...depends on ur budget. catback or muffler...headers, down pipe...air intake...SR20, but then u would be wasting ur KA since it has only 70k miles...

my 91 240sx is still stock...all i have is a C-West Carbon Fiber hood, and HID.
but i have other things planned out already.

posted by  nissanTFsx

Rebuild that engine. Get your standard CAI and exhaust, no bigger than 3" though. Then get yourself a turbo.

posted by  Oomba

well the wheels are steels, but there a lot wider than stock, by in in. or so does anyone know where i can get some oem 16in rims for this 240? with tires?

*EDIT* Sadly i found out that i cant break the rear tires free, even from a dead stop.... its an auto and i know that thats more than half the problem but what would give me the cheapest acceration? a new racing cluch?

posted by  cnalven

but if he doesn't have enough for a turbo he shouldn't do 3 in. exhaust, if he puts 3 in. exhaust on an N/A 4 cyl. then he will lose some major low end. If you will be keeping it N/A for a while then give it a 2.25-2.5 in. exhaust.

posted by  Accord_Man

This sounds dumb but what does 'N/A' mean. i know that its has to do with upgrading the acual parts of the engine with out a turbo/supercharger....

Also, what size rim should i look for? i have heard that some people put 18's on their 240s but anything really will fit, right? also is 7.5 in a reasonable with for a sports tire? What brands should i stay away from?
Thanks

posted by  cnalven

Actually N/A means naturally aspirated, or NOT turbocharged or NOT supercharged, no forced induction of any kind. If you want to keep it N/A, then go with most likely 2.25 in. piping, if you want to turbo or supercharge it, go with no higher than 3 in.

posted by  Accord_Man

Then which would be better? N/A or turbocharged? i need reliaiblity, cheapness, and of coarse speed. i will be dabbing in to drifting a little bit too.

posted by  cnalven

Turbocharging reduces the life of any engine. Going N/A with boltons is the cheapest and easiest way to go but the power won't be as high as an intenally modded high-rev or turbo'd engine. Strengthing your internals with stronger parts will make the engine more reliable but will cost alot of money unless you do it yourself and it isn't necessary unless you want your engine to rev higher than it is supposed to or you are pushing alot of boost.

posted by  VG30DE

an SR20DET tuned to about 280hp, that would be a great choice of upgrades for drifting with street-a-bility.

posted by  HyundaGuy

Your Message