'95 Mitsubishi Eclipse

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  '95 Mitsubishi Eclipse

As most of you know, I'm looking to buy my first car... I just passed my license test this morning. :)
Anyways, I saw a nice Eclipse with a new/rebuilt engine in it and a nice, clean body. The thing is, the guy cut the springs to lower the car. Sounds stupid to me. Is that hard to fix and will it cost a lot?
Thanks.

posted by  odds

You get improved handling with that. My suggestion would be see how he did it. If he rebuilt an engine then it should have been done pretty well. If not then just put out like 200-300 bucks and get lowering springs. But obivously don't go crazy and make it so the clearance is illegal.

posted by  GonnaDie4TheGov

yeah what he said

posted by  5point7chevy

Its not really stupid, its just a cheaper way of lowering the car instead of paying money for actual lowering springs. It shouldnt cost a whole lot to fix/raise up again, just whatever the price of springs are.

posted by  car_crazy89

Wait, isn't it unsafe to cut/heat the springs if you don't know what the hell you are doing, my grandpa heated his on his stock car and they like bended and shrunk

posted by  99integra

sounds to me it would be better to just front the cash for the new springs idk about engine rebuild stuff unless its done by a reputable shop i tend to stray away it might run fine at first but how would it be if it blew up in a week

posted by  Joe Celly

Well like i said if he was able to rebuild an engine cutting springs down shouldn't be a challenge for him. But if he gets it and likes it low or whatnot it will prob be a good idea to change them out with lowering springs.

Get that shit, as long as its not riced.

posted by  Oomba

DSM cars while not my favorite can be built to be beasts. check out this video, seems stupid at first but wait until about half way through
wow (http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=25A164E2-2C5D-4E48-AB51-9B 03EEBAD3FA&kw=32&p=0)

posted by  airmanUSN

depends on what eclipse...all eclipses can't be built to be fast.

posted by  importluva

Thats very true cause knowing that the 95 and 96 gs models have 140hp chrysler engines in them ain't saying much but if you could get your hands on a gs-t or gsx then your in business :smoke:

posted by  Spanky2324

cutting the springs is not a good thing. after cutting the springs the car will ride bouncy. If you buy the car either get some good lowering springs or coilovers or get some new factory springs

posted by  bigdaveangell

Hmm, all non GSX/GS-T models had the 420a Chrysler engine. And they can be made plenty fast.

posted by  Oomba

Just for the sake of being anal... all 95-99 RS/GS/ESI cars had the 420a Chrysler engine, all 95-99 GSX/GST/TSI cars had the 4G63t. All 89-94 Eclipse/Talons/Lasers had the 4G63 (turbo or non-turbo).

posted by  Bino

Thanks everyone. We'll probably go down and look at this thing this weekend. So , we'll see how the engine is and stuff like that. I hvae another question, though. What engine did Honda put in the '95 Civic VX HB's? I'm looking at one of those and everything seems nice, but I'd like to know what engine comes with it.

Thanks again,
Matt

posted by  odds

92hp, 1.5L I-4
97Lb. Ft. Torque
5 speed manual w/OD
16 Valve
City MPG - 44
Highway MPG - 51
10 Gallon Tank

Your Message