Car ads?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Car ads?

I've been looking for cars in my local newspaper, recycler, and autotrader ads. What does the 7 digit number mean that most have included in their ads? I'm hoping it's the type of engine in it, but I wouldn't know. Here's an example of the number: h503884
This is the number coming from an article advertising a '92 civic hb CX.
It seems like a really nice car, but I shouldn't buy it with a weak CX engine (right?). Hopefully, the guy swapped the engine. :)

Thanks,
Matt

posted by  odds

I dont think thats an engine number. I think thats just the serial number of the car. :2cents:

posted by  StiMan

Where can I look up the serial #, and what information will the serial # give?
Thanks for replying so quickly. :)

posted by  odds

I think you would use it for something like a CarFax History report and such to see if it has been in any major accidents or major mechanical probs. Ex: if the car was totaled it could have severe frame damage. The person putting up that ad put in the serial number so you can check to see if it has had those probs. If he put it up, that usually means that there wasnt anything major, otherwise he would be trying to cover it up. :2cents:

posted by  StiMan

Yeah its the VIN number. And yes its used for personal identification of the car and its past owners and life. It is also the number you used for a CarFax report.

posted by  GonnaDie4TheGov

I thought the VIN was around 18 digits, though? Or do all Honda Civics have the same starting/ending sequence and this is the only unique part of the VIN that I need? If that's so, does anyone know what the set part of the # is?
edit: I was just looking at an AutoTrader ad and the used car dealership provided TWO different numbers. One was the VIN (with all 17 digits), and another one called the "Stock Number" which was the same one as the example I gave above.

Thanks, everyone!

posted by  odds

I never really payed attention to how long they are. It might be then a id number for that sellers lot. So if you call them up and say, "im interested in #_____. They can jsut look it up faster.

Oh. Thanks for clearing that up, gd4tg.

posted by  odds

Thats true.
Is the car being sold by a actual lot? Or is it just a single person (the owner) selling it?

posted by  StiMan

When i was looking for a car i also noticed that sometimes the dealers would leave the end out b/c that way you had to call or come in to get the rest of the number. I guess hoping that you would in turn fall in love with the car. Dealers will do anything to get your money. :2cents: :screwy:

It's being sold by an individual owner, so it's not like he's trying to reel me in. :smoke:

posted by  odds

Some individual owners are "used car dealers" they use their yard to show off a car or two and sell them. I came across 2 when i was looking and another one is right down the street from me. People arn't as innocent as they seem

The ad provides a phone number with a 562 area code, so it's good that it's not an 800 number. Oh and by the way, this is a quote taken directly from the ad:

posted by  odds

Justt b/c its not a 800 number doesn't mean its not a dealer.

But im really not sure about what that is or means...

Edit: Forgot a word

Well, I guess I'll just call the guy then.
Thanks, everyone.

posted by  odds

Good luck. Tell us what happens. :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

No response all day... oh well.
We checked out a '95 eclipse gs a few weeks back and now I called the guy again. It's looking to be a really nice car (and really inexpensive, at that). It's white, stock everything except for tokico shocks. The owner put a minor dent on the rear, passenger side panel by hitting a pole, but it's no biggie. Of course, it's a 5spd stick shift and a stock GS engine with 100k miles on it. It starts up right away and drives smoothly.
I really hope we pick this baby up. It was advertised when we first called for $3000, but now he lowered it to $2700. Hopefully we can negotiate the price down to $2500, which I bet we will be able to.

Wish me luck :)

posted by  odds

$ 2700 is a great price but just so you know at a 100k eclipse run into a ton of problems. Also for some reason all Mitsubishi parts a lot more than the other car parts like for Hondas and Nissans... ( not including German cars :mrgreen: )

posted by  V-TECH

damn.. really, they will run into problems? that really sucks.. i've always heard mitsubishis are reliable cars as are hondas. can you go into a little more detail about problems i might experience? i've been reading reviews on 95-99 eclipses and most of them have said the car has been reliable.

posted by  odds

They may not be as reliable as Honda or Toyota, but they arent far off. Mitsu's seem to always get the short end of the stick, because they dont have as many problems as people who have never owned one would claim them to have.

They make up for not being bulletproof like a Toyota by having style and power. :2cents:

posted by  Oomba

ah, i see.. so it should be fine for a first car? :hi:

posted by  odds

Definitely.

posted by  Oomba

well i know that eclipses have a lot of tranny problems and some engine problems... Now even if something minor goes bad you have to pay double for the part. ( my dad used to have a Galant so i know) For a first car i think that eclipse is ok if you have money to fix it from time to time. Also i know eclipse has very high insurance. A eagle talon has less even though it's bassically a the same car. Integra would make a nice 1st car. :mrgreen:

posted by  V-TECH

The Galant and 1st/2nd gen Eclipses are two completely different stories. The Galant was japanese made by Mitsu, so its parts are more expensive. The Eclipse was a mix of Mitsu and Dodge parts. Alot less expensive, and the parts are more common.

posted by  Oomba

the insurance really isn't that high on an eclipse.. it's a few hundred more a year compared to a civic. so, that's no issue. the parts seems to be just a tad bit higher than civic/accord parts, so that's no issue either. all in all, seems like a pretty sweet deal! :mrgreen:

posted by  odds

Sad thing is b/c of the fad of ricers street racing and such insurance rates are up for Civics, Eclipses, etc. Luckly you don't see too many Accords moded so my rates arnt up too high :thumbs:

Your Message