Eclipse...again

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Eclipse...again

my dad and i are REALLY seriously looking at this 95 eclipse rs, now. i've been reading reviews on it and all of the GSX/GST reviews are excellent, but with the RS/GS reviews half are good and half are bad. the eclipse we're looking at has 100k miles on it, and the last owner was a mechanic. the engine looks very nice and the fluids all look good. the only thing wrong with the car is cosmetic; it has a pole dent on the passenger side. it's advertised for $2700, but i guarantee we could negotiate to $2500.

thanks,
matt

posted by  odds

Go for it. Pole dents are sometimes easy to fix and then buff out the area. 100k is not that bad and if you can work him down to 2500 do it. :thumbs:

posted by  Spanky2324

Definitely! We'll probably go check it out again today, hopefully my dad will let me buy it. :)

posted by  odds

The early 2nd gen RS/GS Eclipses are known for being horribly unrealible (420a ones). I shighly suggest finding something else. My friend had a 95 GS and a 95 RS and had nothing but tranny problems and engine problems with both of them.

posted by  thunderbird1100

http://www.deadeclipse.com/opinions.php

Eclipse sucks :thumbs:

posted by  99integra

Oh dear... No wonder why they didn't bring it to europe.

posted by  fudge

how do yall post your stuff i just joined like 5mins ago and i got a question to put up but i don't know how

posted by  bboyerjosh

You mean like starting a thread because you know you just posted something :laughing:

posted by  99integra

it seems like such a nice car, though. :ohcrap:
do you really think i should skip it? he has maintenance records and everything, the engine has been kept in new condition. he just bought the car almost a year ago from his friend who happens to be a mechanic. seems like, with eclipses, some are great and reliable, and some are terrible. i think if you can find the right one, you'll be fine.

edit; 99integra, "deadeclipse.com: is a site for '00+ eclipses, while i'm looking at a '95 eclipse.

thanks,
matt

posted by  odds

they never imported eclipse's to aus, any reason why?

posted by  HyundaGuy

3rd gen Eclipses are junk. Thats what that site is dedicated to, Steve.

posted by  Oomba

It has 95-99 stories on there. Look at more.

All cars have problems. If you poll the entire world about cars of course some problems are going to be reported.

posted by  Oomba

i agree, thats a really biased site. I know many people that have eclipses that havnt given them ne trouble at all.

posted by  A-cord

i guess The Fast and the Furious is the reason why there are so many people who want Eclipses.
To be honest, Eclipses are said to be problematic after 100k miles, but i have not heard anything from GST or GSX tho.
And the dude is selling his 95 Eclipse for $2700? I think that seems too good to be true...
anyways, test the car out carefully.
Good Luck finding cars... :thumbs:

posted by  nissanTFsx

yeah you think $2700 is cheap at a buy here pay here car place i saw a eclipse gsx for 2000 it was stick shift blue same place i saw that same car it was sold in little over a week

posted by  95 EcLiPsE gSx

Hopefully its not as ugly as the one in your sig

My friend has a 95 Talon ESi with 140k miles on it and his only problem is he needs a new timing belt.

posted by  Oomba

no it was nicer then the one in my sig whats up wit your sig is that guy too big for one of those

posted by  95 EcLiPsE gSx

IMHO...all Eclipses are bad. Not just the RS and GS models, but the GSt and GSX models as well.

posted by  SlipKnoT

You arent even old enough to drive, so your opinon really doesnt matter.

posted by  Oomba

Actually, I do drive. Ive driven a couple Eclipses, and Ive seen enough of them in the shop to know that they dont last for shit.

posted by  SlipKnoT

Until you actually drive one, shut the **** up.

posted by  nsupra27

Oh my god. It would figure, that since I state from my experiences with them, that someone would have to flame me..... :banghead:

posted by  SlipKnoT

You're 14 years old. The only place you've legally driven a car is Gran Turismo, so shutup. So what if you seen Eclipses in the shop? Are they the only cars you see there? No. All cars have problems from time to time. No car is bulletproof. Eclipses are solid cars, and have actual power unlike a Honda that you people praise like its the god of all car companies.

posted by  Oomba

Oomba....dont start this shit with me. I can actually drive LEGALLY at 14. Here in Kansas you can get your learners permit at 14, so I can drive with someone 18 or above in the car :fu:

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/7269/p10105103zh.th.jpg (http://img367.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p10105103zh.jpg)
Whats that Oomba? Did you say something?.....

Yes, Eclipses are much faster than a little 4 banger Honda, and NO I do not praise Hondas. But, Eclipses are one of the most problematic cars out there. I havent seen 1 go over 120,000 miles with out having some major problem.

posted by  SlipKnoT

Posting a blurry illeligable picture. Good job.

Hey guess what, im going to post a picture of my library card and say its a pilots license. At least if you're going to prove me wrong, get a good enough ****ing camera to do it.

You must not have seen any Eclipses over 120,000 miles, because every one I have seen is running perfectly strong.

posted by  Oomba

Well sorry if my picture didnt meet your standards. But if you were actually smart, you would know what a leaners permit looks like **** face. You wanna check to see the Kansas driving law? You wanna run the number thats on the liscense? It isnt a ****ing library card, I dont know where the **** you got that from. :screwy: :fu:

posted by  SlipKnoT

I've already checked Kansas' DMV website, and have seen that what you have said is true. But why even bother posting the picture noone can even read it? Thats where I came up with the library card comment.

How the hell am I supposed to know what a Kansas learner's permit looks like? The Ohio learners permit is a piece of paper.

posted by  Oomba

I forgot to switch it over to a close up picture resolution. I didnt notice the picture was blurry until I posted it. I didnt know that leaners permits werent actual cards in other states.

posted by  SlipKnoT

I agree. I have alot of friends that have eclipses that have over 100,000 miles with no problems

posted by  bigdaveangell

You really think that just because youve seen a few in the shop and youve seen a few that havent lasted for more that 100,000 miles that all of them are shit. If they are properly maintained they will last just as long as any other car. I see alot of ford mustangs in the shop. Does that mean they dont last for shit. NO.

Thats just your opinion. Show us some facts that prove that they dont last

posted by  bigdaveangell

tomorrow we're going to go and have a mechanic look at the beauty :)
i can't wait... this could be the one! everything looks in sharp condition, but we're having a mechanic look at it just to make sure.

thanks everyone,
matt

posted by  odds

As usual, T-bird is right. Good luck with whatever you choose.

posted by  importluva

Prob not the smartest idea posting a pic of that w/o blacking out the license number. :doh:

Ive seen plenty that have had no problems. Every car company has its good and bad cars. Ive seen Honda's that are falling apart after 120k miles. A guy i work with has an eclipse. I believe its a 98 and has over 150k miles on it. Not one problem. The problem is all you ever see are the people that complain and had the problems. If you had a car and it was running fine with no problems would you post something on a site saying so? There are so many sites that bash that people don't realize that everyone else that hasn't posted on there hasn't had a problem with the car.

posted by  GonnaDie4TheGov

I got a brown bordered ID card, but other than that it looked just like any other license or state id. The papers are what matters.

posted by  Oomba

No shit.

I'm not phraising the site. Look up overall statistics for the car...they all are o nthe bad side.

**** it takes a long time to buy a car.
well, the eclipse is probably not worth buying... and there aren't any civics that are worth checking out that we've already checked out. ballsacks, i've looked into integras but they're too expensive. i've also looked at corollas, camrys, 200/240sx, mr2, and the rest are really too expensive insurance-wise. damn!
any suggestions?

posted by  odds

The Eclipse is worth buying. Dont listen to these people saying they arent reliable. 2 car companies came together to build the thing, its damn reliable. Dont worry about it. The Eclipse is a great car, and you're going to enjoy owning it.

posted by  Oomba

I think the Eclipse is well worth buying, there built very well, and look very nice.

posted by  nsupra27

:orglaugh:
Oomba is determined! But yea, I really hope we can reach this sob who calls him self a private seller! Things look a LITTLE fishy with the title. He says he's the 3rd owner, but on Carfax it says there's only been two owners. My dad thinks that maybe he didn't register it with the DMV or something... I doubt it, though, because he only bought the car a few months ago. On Carfax, the last entry date is 3/07/2005. I'm really hoping that he has this thing registered and sh*t.

posted by  odds

Wow, a little shadowed biased response there. Eclipses and reliable dont belong i nthe same sentence.

T-bird; you can't completely say a whole generation of cars is "unreliable", because it's just not true. i've never seend any problems with eclipses, but then again, i'm not too experienced. all i know is that if you keep a car well-maintained and replace certain parts every once in awhile, your car will treat you well. it just so happens that the eclipse might be a little less forgiving than, let's say, a honda civic. other than that, though, eclipses can be either nice/reliable cars or trashy/unreliable cars. end of story :hi:

posted by  odds

I never said the whole generation of cars is unreliable. I said the EARLY 2nd gen 420a DSMs were unreliable. Which is fact. Want statistics, look them up. On top of that all the facts were backed up by when i see so many people with so many problems with their 95-97 420a DSMs. The GSX/GST were much more reliable cars.

Again, let me dispell the myth of if you treat a car right ir will be good on reliability. Where do people get this??? If this were true there would be no gap between cars in reliability!! If this is true why is Merecedes and Jaguar at towards the bottom of the list everytime JD Power rankings come out? You know people pamper those cars if they spend $80k on a XKR or $90k on a S-Class.

Sure the more you take care of a car the better it SHOULD be on reliability. But using this a definitive method for predicting reliability solely is just asinine. If this were true our 2000 T & C would of been MUCH more reliable than us having to do what we have had to to keep it running...

That's a crock of sh*t, with standard maintenance they are every bit as reliable as any other vehicle on the road. Damn ignorance runs deep on this forum.

posted by  Bino

Uh, ignorance is at its best when people keep saying 'a car is as reliable as you take care of it'.... Read Above.

I honestly dont know how people use this excuse knowing the facts.

Its true in most cases. Civics driven hard arent going to last as long as any other car driven normally.

posted by  Oomba

Odds if you were to buy this car you would really like it. I've known a few people who own eclipses and are still running strong after 200k miles on the cars. The biggest problem one of em had was a broken water pump and that was it. You just gotta maintain them.

posted by  Spanky2324

I'm not saying they CANT last long, just the ODDS of them lasting that long arent as good as say an Accord..or Civic. Any car can last 300,000 miles. But a higher percentage of Accords see 300,000 miles than Eclipses.

The odds of a mild mannered family owning an Eclipse and driving it back and forth to the store and church are pretty slim as well. As that accounts for probably 90% of Honda Accords. An Eclipse is a budget sport compact and is generally driven pretty hard its entire life. You may notice that any Civic/Accord that is owned by a kid (as the vast majority of Eclipses are) are generally pretty trashed, pretty fast.

I've been into DSM's for a long time and have one as a daily driver. I know the facts, and I know the generalizations and exaggerations. They're as reliable as anything else, just change the timing belt regularly.

posted by  Bino

Because before the ricer phase most Accords and Civics were used as intended.

posted by  Oomba

Do you atleast agree that some of them have potential, and i am talking about SCCA sleepers

posted by  99integra

Highly modified. I'm not a fan of low displacement vehicles. I like a grumbly sound, lots of torque, and style.

Econoboxes dont do it for me, but I do like turbos.

posted by  Oomba

How about the good ol' power of an American V8? :hi:

posted by  SlipKnoT

Only an idiot would buy a V8 right now with gas prices how they are. Im struggling with my 4 cylinder. Then again im broke lol :laughing:

posted by  GonnaDie4TheGov

Gas prices went up like 20 cents and everyone is acting like its the end of the world :screwy:

LS1s get 26 mpg highway

posted by  Oomba

No way I would buy a v8 with gas prices as high as they are. I have a hard enough time with my 4 cylinder

posted by  bigdaveangell

Same... seriously, I make $7/hour and I goto school. No way would I have the money to pump fuel into that thing without asking for help from my parents. I don't wanna do that, either. I need to look responsible and on top of things so my parents trust me. I'm not even a bad kid, but they still don't trust me. :screwy:
I know they just want the best for me, though. It's all good.

posted by  odds

2nd Eclipse GSX has almost the same mpg as a LS1/LT1.

posted by  Oomba

So you consider the civics and CRXs that win with the same STOCK CLASS modifications as the other cars they run against(exhuast,shocks and tires in basic) are heavily modified?

Seriously, he considers his brain closed for business and reserves the right to refuse service to any logic or reasonable explanation.

It's like watching a fly run his head into a window 1,000 times... you ain't gettin' through.

posted by  Bino

Right, like any Civics are beating cars with 3x the horsepower in stock form.

posted by  Oomba

God you're a moron. They dont pit Civic DX's against LS1 Fbodies in stock classes!

You really just need READ UP on the different stock classes in the SCCA. Please for the love of all of us on this forum, save our time on schooling you once again!

Oh, so theyre racing against other slow cars and winning? Should i be impressed?

posted by  Oomba

well........aside from all the sh*t talking, eclipse/talons are great cars, but you can't slip up on the up-keep of the car. i work at a salvage yard in new york and we sell second gen 2.0 engines almost on a daily basis and worth $650-$1000 all day long (at least in New York) they use the same engine in 95-99 eclipse, talon, avenger, and sebrings. also, is it auto or stick? the auto trannys arent so good either.

posted by  glagon1979

They've pitted them against cars that they can logically compete against. They dont pit 100hp FWD'ers up against 300hp RWD'ers.

I have seen a few regional meets with 3rd gen Fbodies, Civics, early SN95 Mustangs and Toyota/Nissan Pickups all in the same class.

Like I said, before you keep spewing out all this uneducated shit... Read up on the SCCA Stock classes and see the restrictions.

LEt me just help you the hell out...

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/stock.html Rules/Restrictions for Solo II Stock Classes

MAtter fact here you go, here's how all the cars fall into stock class categories...

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Lists/2005/stockc.html

G-Stock has a wide array of Civics and counterparts of the Civic (eg, CRX/Del Sol).

H-Stock also has a very fair share of Civics.

Take note in A-Stock (hardest class next ot the Super Stock class)... ALL S2000's compete in this class. 2.0/2.2L I4's against 4.6L S/C'ed SVT Cobras, 5.7L Camaro SS's, ZR1 Vettes, Saleen Mustangs and WS6's. The 00-03 2.0L S2000 DOMINATED B-Stock so much they bumped them up to A-Stock last year (Stock includes such cars as Miatas, RX-7's, Z3's and M3's.

The 420a? Are you sure not the 4g63, because I would see why you would sell alot of them because of crankwalk, but not the 420a, its a very well built motor.

posted by  nsupra27

Yet they have so many problems :laughing:

Again, I know alot of people with 420a Eclipses and they rarely ever have problems :banghead:

Quit being an idiot.

posted by  Oomba

I know a few people who have had few problems with thier 420a powered vehicles. But I sure do know a lot more people who have had a lot of problems with thier 420 powered vehicle.

Statistics dont lie, look them up. 420a powered cars arent good on engine reliaiblity in general. There are always ones who do better/worse. But the 420a vehicles slanted towards worse.

how are prelude si's?

posted by  odds

PRetty fun cars. Can be had for relatively cheap. Have the bigger H23a engine.

Why dont you actually post this stats, instead of just using them in your argument and saying "look them up."

posted by  Oomba

wow this thread is all over the place...

anyway... 2nd gen eclipses have tons of problems.... personally if i was going to get one it would be a GSX... sure they have even more problems but hey at least it would be fast... LOL

3rd gen eclipses are shit... enough said...

personally... and Im sure a lot of people would agree... 1st gen eclipses are the best... those thing can take a beating... and they are cheap as hell... problem is trying to find one that hasnt taken a beating yet... ;)

overall... 1st gen eclipse specially the gsx's are awesome... sure they look like shit... but hey... well modded they run 14s, 13s, 12s, 11s, 10s, 9s, 8s, and a few mofos are running 7s with them... lol :D

Anyway... save your money... besides... the RS models are the worse of them all...

posted by  SunDown13X VR4

You'd better have some explanations as to why a GSX has more problems than other DSM's, and you'd also better have some explanations as to why the 1G GSX has fewer problems than the 2G GSX, and you'd sure as hell better have an explanation as to why a 2G Eclipse has "tons of problems". Because quite honestly it sounds like IGNORANT BANTER. Especially since the ONLY problem these cars are actually known for is crankwalk... Which is most common in 95-97 4G63t cars, but can occur across all year ranges (and any other model of car as well).

posted by  Bino

Because everytime I post something for you to look up you ignore it and keep on your ignoramous rampage. You have two eyes, two arms and two legs. Walk to a store that sells a consumer reports buyers guide (cant post this online because you have to pay to look at it on their webpage), look up the engine reliaiblity of 95-99 Eclipses. Go to jdpower.com, look up 2nd gen Eclipses. I already know the information, use your brain for once and go educate it without someone like me having to spoon feed you information. See, this is what life outside of your little room is like, we dont give handouts.

1st and 2nd gen Eclipse was GREAT. 3rd gen is a big pile of shit, ugly and slow.
1st gen didnt have much problems, besides its age, 2nd gen had very little problems besides crankwalk in the 4g63, the 420a barely had any.
Thats why if you would ever get a 2nd gen GSX you should swap a 6 bolt motor in, and it would be very nice.

posted by  nsupra27

One word: Ouch

very nicely put :clap:

posted by  Spanky2324

3/5 stars for mechanical quality compared to Civic's 4. Wow, real big difference there. I guess you were right, Eclipses are shit. Right along the lines of Porsches and Suzukis. Man, ignore all the cases I've ever seen, I'll believe this! Forget the fact that I come from a family of Mitsu fans who have owned 1st and 2nd gen Eclipses, and never saw a problem with them, and have plenty of friends now with 2nd gens with no problems either.

posted by  Oomba

Long live the mitsu fans yeah!!!! Oomba has a point about this though. I love eclipses way before the fast and the furious came out and that just blew them out of proportion. There was a guy around my neighboorhood who replicated the eclipse and I just wanted to smack him :banghead:

posted by  Spanky2324

GS just like in the movie, I hope? Wouldnt wanna waste a GS-T or god forbid a GSX on a ricer.

posted by  Oomba

Yeah it was a shitty GS with a 420a in it. All he really did was put on the blitz body kit,install neons,paint it,apply the decals, and bought some cheap ass racing seats. It was a shame then he sold it for 12k.

posted by  Spanky2324

No NOS Fogger system, T4 turbo, AYC Controller, and enough NAWWWS in there to blow himself up?

posted by  Oomba

Nope just some not even clean 420a in it oh wait no he had a AEM intake on it and a huge fart can. Sorry about the post whoring. :laughing:

posted by  Spanky2324

That's for ALL 95-99 Eclipses. Not just the shitty 420a models. The 4g63 models skewed the results UP.

I know PLENTY UPON PLENTY of people with 2nd gen eclipses. Matter fact I'll go through a list of Eclipses I've known people to own personally.

2 '95 RS
1 '95 GS

1 '97 GST

1 '98 GS
1 '98 GSX

1 '99 GST

Those are just people I know who've owned one in the past 4 years. EVERY 420a model has had one problem or another with the engine. Only 1 4g63 model had a problem out of the lot of 4g63's there (crankwalk, 97 GST, damn 7 bolts). Matter fact one of my friends owned TWO '95 Eclipses (GS and RS)...and both had the same damn enigne problems!

Did you go look at the consumer reports buying guide? I dont have one here with me in my apartment but i believe they broke down the RS/GS and GST/GSX models into two separate categories. Look at engine reliability. From what I remember it didnt get above "Fair" (which is 2 out of 5 stars in other words). It seems only you and one other person on this entire forum believe 420a eclipses were reliable, that should also tell you something as well.

I'm speaking from personal experience. None I've ever known of ever had a problem.

Maybe your friend with the 95s drove them like shit.

posted by  Oomba

I've owned both a 1G Talon and now currently own a 2G Talon. I love it. On my 1G never had any problems whatsoever. It had over 150,000 miles on it when I sold it for $2600. Ran like brand new. The 2G (currently hit 111,000 miles), I've had to replace the engine in it, but that was because I had a hole in the oilpan and didn't know it and all the oil leaked out and well, you get the gist. I've had some other small issues as well, but nothing too bad.

Coming from an avid everyday Talon driver and owner (8 years now), I love them and plan on keeping it for a long time, regardless of what your statistics say.

posted by  97Talonchik

Fixed.

posted by  fudge

Maybe you like to speculate wrong a lot? :laughing:

:clap: Wonderful fix!

Why does everyone have to hate the eclipse :cussing: ? Thats it another fan club starts. The eclipse lovers fan club. PM me to get in.

posted by  Spanky2324

How was that fixed? I'm stating that for a fact, none of the Eclipses I've ever come into contact with ever had any problems.

posted by  Oomba

I dont hate Eclipses. Just the unreliable 420a ones and 3g ones. The 1g GSX/AWD TSi I recommend all the time.

Congratulations :clap:

The trouble is you state your opinions like facts. So therefore it's fixed.

posted by  fudge

Technically he stated a fact that none of his friends had problems with their eclipses. It would be an opinion if he said that all eclipses work great of fully maintained.

posted by  Spanky2324

It's an opinion unless it can be backed up. Can't believe what you always hea runless there is hard evidence.

Alright then, how about this, my Eclipse runs great when given the same maintenance I have given every vehicle I have every owned.

Will the jury consider that evidence?

posted by  Bino

Your Message