drifting

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  drifting

does anyone here actually know how to drift, does anyone drift?

does anyone here know what drifting is? does anyone like it or dislike it?

for those of you who don't know, i thought i could put this funny picture of this car drifting up for ya'll to see:
http://www.pistenclub.de/driftchallenge2003/kaefer%20drift.jpg

have fun with that.

posted by  HyundaGuy

2 words- Drift Bible

My view on drifting:
Drifting is a fun way to mess around. I like it best when you combine it with grip driving on a normal race track or touge as it looks dynamic and neat.

But when you watch it on TV where the track is specifically designed for it (with just cones as a corner) and that they drift all the time(even on the straights) I find it gets a bit boring after a while.

posted by  fudge

I have really tried "true" drifting mainly becuase I haven't really driven a rwd :doh: but I have messed around with the handbrake on my mum's 323 and my integra in the wet.

posted by  GreekWarrior

Well then I suggest you get a RWD car FAST! :laughing: Theyre fun.

Yes, I know what drifting is, and yes, I know how to do it. But, I dont nessecarily love it. I find it entertaining to watch once in a while, but if I watch it to much it gets really boring.

posted by  SlipKnoT

Nascar gets really boring really fast!!! I enjoy watching a good drift battle though.

posted by  elchango36

I've been drifting for years... country boy... gravel/snowy/wet roads... everybody drives a pickup... good times, we used to hang it out on every corner, it's not rocket science.

posted by  Bino

Thats very true. Ive never tried drifting but it looks fun

posted by  bigdaveangell

Hell with my Mustang and Ranger I do it on accident :laughing:

posted by  99integra

this is a video of the beautiful verena mei. she is a great drifter, and I am in love

http://www.cartv.com/content/research/channels/index.cfm/channel/cartv_vide o/action/showvideo/vid/f_0087/vcat/Interview/

posted by  Carl

I've never drifted, (intentionally anyway) but I have a general idea how to do it. It would be fun, and I would do it if not for the accelerated tire wear.

posted by  hondaman

drifting isn't made for accelerated tire wear, drifting can be done with 1 set of tires, but the D1GP is all about show class, they're only good in teh conditions of showing off, not actually drifting at a real, quick class competition.

Keiichi Tsuchiya is probably the only person in the world who can get a near stock car slideways with basically stock tire's and keep it that way next to a HKS D1GP S15 JDM Silvia.

we've talked about you doin' that before steve, that's not drifting, drifting is entering teh corner sideways and holding that sideways feel throughout the corner with throttle control a the right amount of counter steer and weight transfer... you just punched it once and got a bit sideways half way through the corner.

that's not drifting, as i said to steven, drifting is entering the corner sideways, what you're doing is power-over/power sliding, you're getting sideways halfway through the corner and then holding it as a tail-whip after the exit of the corner.

correct lads?

if ya'll like, i can try and get a video of me drifting at Mallala or Viriginia Raceway?

posted by  HyundaGuy

Didnt I do a write up on this....Hmm must find...

posted by  Zalight

With smoke bellowing out of the tyres I know that the tyres aren't gonna last long.

It's still a form of drifting as long as your rear tyres are losing grip.

That's 1 technique which is explained in the drift bible. Power sliding is a basic form of drift. You don't have to be sideways before a corner to be drifting. Just because it's not dynamic doesn't mean it's not drifting.

One of my favorite drifting clips:
http://www.geocities.com/fudgenubs/86drift.asx

posted by  fudge

Why is HyundaGuy banned?

posted by  hondaman

I dont think he's banned, I think he put that there himself. (Look at his post count :wink2: )

posted by  elchango36

He's kind of retarded like that, Godlaus did it too :wink2:

posted by  99integra

You've obviously never driven a RWD vehicle in any of those conditions. Because the whole point is to enter the corner sideways. Formula D drivers are able to enter the corner sideways because they overcome the coefficient of friction with power. In snow/gravel/wet conditions... it can be done with a much smaller power/weight ratio. So, yeah... you're wrong, good try though (although my whole drifting experience was really a joke anyway).

posted by  Bino

Hell yeah. :mrgreen: :thumbs:

posted by  GreekWarrior

i don't power slide, i drift.

i do it as a sport and a form of entertainment.

posted by  HyundaGuy

If you think power is the main thing needed then you've missed the whole point of drifting entirely.

posted by  GreekWarrior

indeed, Keiichi Tsuchiya is able to drift the 130ps or so rwd cars, like the eight six and the miata, it's interesting really, because he enjoys this more then drifting 400hp T78 powered 2JZ's.

i personally drift with cars from power levels between 140hp - 225hp.

the most underpowered vehicle i've ever driven was a 91hp datsun 120y with an A15 in it set up for drifting, the car had been stripped down to weigh in at 571kg w/ me in the car, that was when i only weighed 61kg.

posted by  HyundaGuy

ive tried it before then i nearly crashed............................

posted by  ahoo

don't be afraid to try it again, the more you do it, the easier it becomes.

it's the same as learning to drive a car normally, once you're fluent with that, you'll be able to drift easier, but until you know how to shift up and down, heel/toe, hold slides and not freak out while having the ass end out and keep the car in it's torque band, you wont be a good drifter.

i believe that adelaide (the place in aus that i live in) has australia's best drifters, people like leighten fine and james vahoumis... or jame's brother, denso.

those three drifters are probably australia's best drifters.

especially james and danny, they went to japan and drifted non stop for like 7 years then brung it to australia as a form of racing and for entertainment.

posted by  HyundaGuy

im not sure cause my car just cant handle that sort of punishment, it will probably flip. :doh:

posted by  ahoo

Its a stupid sport. But I appreciate it for being the only true stock car event on TV.

posted by  Oomba

what is your big problem anyway? why do you hate honda's and drifting? and just about anything japanese?

posted by  HyundaGuy

And just about anything japanese? You listed the only two car related things I hate that are Japanese.

posted by  Oomba

soooooooooooooooo why do you think its stupid?

posted by  ahoo

Because it's japanese. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :screwy: :roll:

posted by  GreekWarrior

Because its the shittiest excuse for an automotive sport. "Hey I got an idea, lets slide around a corner."

Lame.

posted by  Oomba

:roll:

posted by  GreekWarrior

everyone is entitled to their opinions as long as they arent commies.

anyhow, true drifting is a lot more challenging than wat certain members around here truly understand. when u can "truly" drift, then that means that u have the ability of continously change the angle of the vehicle from turn to turn without losing much control. in fact, those that can truly achieve this can do many things (such as the one legged drift i saw on a video) while drifting.

sure, anyone can go around 1 corner sideways, even i have done it on my supra, my friend's prelude (the one he killed), my mother's corolla, and a few others. still, only in the supra was i able to actually go into another corner sideways (which i ended up stopping completely in from the excitement).

i dont try this anymore since practicing such things on public roads is dangerous and irresponsible, and we dont have special courses to try this here in PR.

another misconception. u dont need a RWD car to practice drifting. ive seen pros even use 4WD's to compete in professional competitions. as for D1GP, those same drivers that only do it for "show", as hyundayguy said, thats completely wrong. MANY of those drivers are actually true professionals that compete all over the place. thing is, the D1GP was mainly based on "show" drifting for obvious purposes, but trust me, many of those are capable of doing quick drift races just fine. one of them is the guy who currently drives the MOPAR Viper, whom almost lost to a home-made 86 Turbo. hes from iceland (or something) and is a complete professional. used to race with a MKIV Supra for a while. i think he still has it. Keiichi didnt compete cuz he wants to retire already. he IS among his 50's u know.

for me, its a very nice sport. quite creative and challenging. still, its very misunderstood even by those that like it. everyone thinks its a very easy concept to pull off, but its not. its something which involves a very big mental capacity. the principles are basic, but not the hard work that needs to put into them.

posted by  Inygknok

Finally someone who knows what they're talking about, take note Oomba.

posted by  GreekWarrior

Your Message