Car Choice

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Car Choice

I have a 2003 Toyota Camry LE that was handed down from my mother and I might be trading it in for a new/used car. There is such a variety of cars out there. I've looked at several like the Mazda3, but I've narrowed it down to the Acura RSX. I like this car and it seems to be generous in price and mpg. However, I've read more about the Civic Si and this car also seems very nice. If I get the Civic Si, I will have to buy it brand new. The Acura RSX I plan on getting used, most likely. I'm not sure how the Civic Si is on gas mileage/mpg, but I'm hoping it's pretty good - lol, yeah it's a pretty big factor for me. I plan on modifying the car, e.g. bodykit, drop, rims, etc.

I can't choose so I decided to go online and find out more from people who know a lot more than I do. At the moment, I'm choosing between the Acura RSX and the Honda Civic Si (it comes out in November I think?). I just wanted to know what you guys thought and I wanted to weigh out the pros and cons...hopefully I can choose before the end of 2005.

posted by  seoulcityskin

Why are you comparing a used RSX to a new Civic Si. They are both the same price new ($20k). Anyways... get the Civic Si, it's a much better car than the base RSX. Even a better car than a RSX-S in some aspects.

posted by  thunderbird1100

Well, like I said I don't know a lot about cars so I figured I'd ask people who knew better. A used RSX because I figure it would be cheaper. Honestly, I'm not too fond of the 2006 Civic Si model...I like the RSX design better but the interior of the Si is hot. I also read that the Civic Si has the same engine as the RSX-S.

But yeah, just looking for opinions and suggestions.

posted by  seoulcityskin

The new Si uses a varient of the engine from the RSX-S. The RSX-S has a K20z1 (rated at 201hp on the new system) and the Si has a K20z3 (rated at 197hp on the new system)...one thing the Si has the RSX/RSX-S doesnt is a LSD :thumbs:

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

Do you, or anyone, know the mpg for the 2006 Civic Si? I read that it's not even as good as the Integra. I usually look at mpg for cars (yes, I know)...but I'm a commuter to school but I also like to cruise around. I want a coupe because I'm the only one driving it around usually besides weekends and I figured I'd get a nice/fast car at the same time.

I know the Acura RSX base gets 27/35 which was pretty appealing to me. Hopefully the Civic Si isn't too bad with gas.

posted by  seoulcityskin

I havent come across figures for the 06 Si, but it wont disappoint in mileage (Hondas tend to be top in their class for mpg all the time). It should get similar or better mileage than a 6spd RSX-S.

The RSX and the new Si are relatively the same car (if I remember correctly, same engine etc). I am sure that the gas miliage is good. Why do you want to trade a 2-3 year old car away already? Camrys are good cars man. :screwy:

posted by  StiMan

Word...well, it was my moms car and I figured I would get a car I want to have and keep for a while. A few people told me to just keep the Camry but I really want to get a coupe...but if keeping the Camry is better than getting a RSX or Civic Si...I guess I'll keep it. But it is quite exciting to get a new car :laughing:

posted by  seoulcityskin

Call me crazy but maybe he wants a car that isnt boring :mrgreen:

Hahaha, well said.

The Camry is a nice car, no doubt. It's a huge car, really - more space than I need. I drive alone to school and back and I have two people in the car on weekends with the woman. Then I have four people on weekend-nights...but I don't need a big sedan. I wanted to modify a car and I don't think Camry's are great cars to modify (even if it's just exterior)...so I wanted to find a small but quick coupe and I ran into the RSX and then the Civic Si.

posted by  seoulcityskin

It'd probably be better to keep the Camry, but if you're like me, and just want a new car for the sake of having one I'd take the RSX, just because of personal preference, but both the RSX and the Civic are almost the same...

posted by  chris_knows

The new Civic Si blows the base RSX out of the water...simply put.

Si vs. RSX

6spd vs. 5spd
LSD vs. no LSD
197hp vs. 155hp

As far as handling goes I hear the Civic Si handles better than even a NEW RSX-S (thank god they finally offer summer high performance tires and comes standard with an LSD).

Are you definately wanting a Honda/Acura? Have you considered looking into one of the '06 Eclipse GTs? May be a bit more expensive, but it is quite.. quite a nice car.

posted by  Metzger

It's a lot more expensive than a $20k Civic Si (isnt the GT now like over $25k?). Plus, hate to say it but a Civic Si will easily run circles around a new Eclipse GT in autox or circuit racing.

Honestly, no, I'm not positive because I don't know a lot about cars. I was looking around and I just happened to run into the Acura RSX and it was cheap and good with mileage plus a fast and stylish car. I came on these forums to ask people for advice on what other good cars there are for someone like me. I like the Eclipse too, but if it's over 25k, I'd rather get a Civic Si or RSX especially if these cars are both faster than an Eclipse (not that i'm going to be racing).

posted by  seoulcityskin

Well it isnt that boring... I mean a Gen 5 is better then a Gen 4. :laughing:

IMO, if all you are doing is simply driving to school etc (like I do) I would just save the money and keep the Camry. Not that an RSX/ Si arent great, but I just would save the money. I mean its still got atleast 10 good years in it. :thumbs:

(And ya the Camry is big... Its a pain in the ass to park at school...)

posted by  StiMan

Well, I don't just drive to school..but I just want a nice and fun ride, y'know? Like everyone else. But if the RSX and Civic Si isn't worth getting over the Camry for a couple grand, then I don't know.

posted by  seoulcityskin

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/artman/publish/article_354.shtml

there you can find the gas milage specs

posted by  6000LE

Also I caught on to the trend of civics being completely modded and made into "street race cars"
but i must say I like the front design on the 06
not so much the back
also the interior is amazingly done
digital spedometer
very well cut
bucket seats
I think they should make a few more touches to thehybrid though
dont really like it looks too heavy

posted by  6000LE

thanks for the link but they dont have the mpg for the Civic Si yet. I want to mod my car, which is one of the reasons I was looking for a car other than the Toyota Camry that I have now. Nothing too crazy. I wanted to drop the car, add rims, exhaust (maybe) or just a muffler and intake...that's pretty much it. Just a fun car for a young kid, y'know? And I figured the RSX was nice and the Civic Si was made for the young crowd, so why not.

posted by  seoulcityskin

A couple of other cars I was looking at (or just thought were pretty cool) were the...Subaru Impreza WRX, Honda Civic Si, Acura RSX (base or type S), Honda Prelude and the Integra, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo...I think that's everything.

I thought the Si was coming out in 1-2 weeks but I heard it was coming out in December. But yeah..

posted by  seoulcityskin

It wouldnt be "a couple grand." Really all 3 are great cars, it is up to you. I was just sayin that if I was in that position I would just hold out and save the money for something else. :thumbs:

posted by  StiMan

rsx cars got a lot o that acura refinement thing going on, all of the magazines praise them on that and always pick it over other compacts, not because it's faster but because they like the interior, the way it drives, and the high revving engine. the 2005 civic si was kinda wimpy, but there all saying good things about the 2006 model, how it's much more performance oriented, so an '06 4 speed, an rsx 4 "luxury" and moderate speed (enough to break the speed limit everywhere). or the gutless '05 si (im gonna get flamed for that one :mrgreen: ) or for less "luxury" and speed you could get the prelude, and save a few bucks on it so u couls like, mod it out.

posted by  Slapshot

Well, I'm not even thinking about the 2005 Civic Si because I'm not a fan of hatchbacks and whatnot. I hate Civics in general (no reason, I just have for years...lol) but the new Civic Si caught my attention and it looks pretty good - so does the interior. The RSX base or S look nice too and I would get it used so it would be a bit cheaper than a brand new Civic Si. The Prelude is nice too...damn so many choices :banghead:

posted by  seoulcityskin

Your Message