i need answers

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  i need answers

Hey guys my name is Nik i posted on the intro yourself section. but yeah, i wanted to know if a brand new 3000gt engine will fit in a 4 cylinder mits eclipse front end. i already found where i can buy a new 3000gt engine so now i just need answers. and also i want this to be an awesome car and what do you think. should i make it just for speed and make it insanely fast, or should i make it fast but also put a good sound system in it. i am confused on what i want to do and need opinions. thnx guys :thumbs:

posted by  eclipsevader

I would think you'd have to do some fabrication. 3000gt -> eclipse can't be a direct swap. The FWD 3k GTs can be swapped but you'd prolly need to do some fabrication, extra piping, etc. You can't use the VR-4 engine w/o the AWD transmission (eclipse is FWD, i doubt you have a GSX), to try to fit those in will take a lot of fabrication. I've also been told by a former VR-4 owner that each time the VR-4 tranny takes a dump, you have to replace the entire unit.

Im no expert on mitsubishis, but these are possible obstacles.

posted by  importluva

Very very costly. You can make a Eclipse fast with the engine it has just fine.

posted by  Oomba

yeah i plan on making it AWD. i want this to be one of the craziest eclipses ever and i have never seen anyone put a 3000gt motor in one. i am going to put this thing into car shows and stuff like that. but yeah what about just making it for speed or should i do both speed and put a good sound system in it?

posted by  eclipsevader

well why do the whole swap thing if you could just get a GSX AWD. Then you can put some money into it and make it fast.

posted by  V-TECH

I would really like to work on this car i dont feel like having to buy a new car. I recieved this car for graduating high school and i would like to keep it for as long as i can. possibly my whole life that would be cool. and where i live is relatively bumpy and i would like to put air bags on my car so i can adjust the height of the car but i want to know how much does it effect the handling over all in the car. straightline performance??? cornering performance???

posted by  eclipsevader

MAKE it AWD? that alone is gonna cost more than the car around 3 times. this sounds like a project that wasnt planned out at all. just throw in money and see wat it magically turns into.

do yourself a favor and plan everything, its the only way to actually be successful in any sort of project.

as for swapping in a 3kgt engine into an eclipse, im sure its been done. also, i bet u can mate the eclipse tranny to the 3kgt engine somehow (anything can be done with a little imagination, enough money, and the proper worksmanship).

still, it sounds like a lot of unnecessary things are being done to the car.

posted by  Inygknok

Thats a lot of money to change FWD to AWD and it's basically unnecessarey to do it when you can sell the FWD and put it towards an AWD GSX. That would be your best idea. It's still a great idea to put in a VR-4 but it's gonna take a lot more work and money than you think. Hope you got a great job. :thumbs:

posted by  Spanky2324

How about a FR Eclipse? That would certainly be unique.

posted by  fudge

FR eclipse........ still costly (engine mounts, driveshaft, etc......), but that would actually be a good idea. might be worth the investment tbh.

posted by  Inygknok

I'm not sure whether the engine would fit if place longitudinal in the engine bay. But I'm sure you could use the gearbox, propshaft and rear differential from a Starion turbo. Parts will probably need fabricating to allow them to fit though.

posted by  fudge

The engine bay of the Eclipse is pretty roomy

posted by  Oomba

ok in about a year i might just trade my rs in for a gsx that would prob. save me some money. but what about air bags do they take away from the performance. in a straight line, around corners?
and by the way this project was thought out i just got new ideas during the process.

posted by  eclipsevader

ok guys i might be getting a job that pays around 60-70k a year as a sales rep. and i was wondering if you guys think getting a bmw m3 would be a good idea :thumbs: . and if i dont get the job i would like to get one eventually anyways but would you guys recomend it or what? :laughing:

posted by  eclipsevader

It is a definate possibility if you have the $$$. There are several Eclipses around here with the swap done.

posted by  Metzger

BMW M3 would be the easy way out. But if you like a challenge and also learn about cars then a project like a RWD Eclipse would be good.

posted by  fudge

Bull*#@!, prove it you liar.

posted by  Bino

That project would be absurd, if you want to learn about cars, buy an Eclipse with a crankwalked engine, get a 2.4L motor out of a Hyundai Sonata (it's a Mitsubishi motor), build the 2.4L, rebuild the transmission with Shepherd or TRE internals, and drop those bad-boys in the car, you'll learn more than you ever thought you would.

posted by  Bino

Your Message