Scion

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Scion

Am I the only person here that thinks scion is nice?
I mean the xA and the xB were really weak. but the tC is crazy. for a stock car it has a really good ammount of power. never thought a camry engine could pull so well
there is a site i tihnk called
http://www.scionspeed.com
I would take an xA purely to make it a show car. I cant see it having any go

posted by  6000LE

The tc is alright I guess. It's the only Scion I would have anything to do with anyway. But for the same money I can think of better alternatives, both used and new.

posted by  hondaman

thats true
but for a new car brand entirely its good
it has scion's sport factor
and toyota's well known reliability standards
best of both world
i agree the tiburon has more power
but i think its a V6
from a 4 cylinder i dont know if there is more coming from other cars that are new
im sure there is
i just havent taken the time to find them
plus the torque is nice
i tihnk the civic Si has 160 horses as well
but nowhere near the 165 torque the tC puts out
and for the features you get (panarama moonroof, signals on the mirrons, reclining back seats, and even factory "tuner" accesories) the tC wins my vote for best newcomer of 05
the replacement for the celica

posted by  6000LE

it's alright especially the tc, but the other one suck. if you put them on scale of nice and rice, the rice side would win. :clap:

posted by  V-Tec

the xB would make a nice show car
the xA i think will be discontiniued rather quickly
because it has no go nor show
at least the xB has a european design that some can appretiate
xA however is just crap

posted by  6000LE

tC is overhyped in my book. It would of been better if they put the H/O 1.8 in there over the boring Camry motor. The new Civic Si puts out 197hp on the new standard, and when the tC gets updated to the new standard (the Camry already is) it will put out 154hp.

The Tiburon comes with either a 133hp 2.0L I4 or a 166hp 2.7L V6.

You can keep all that extra torque and less rpms with the bigger motors. I'll take the new 2.0L K20Z3 in the Si that makes almost 200hp and can rev to 8500. :thumbs:

posted by  thunderbird1100

i thought the V6 tiburon Gt had 192 horse and 183 torque or sometihng
il check cars.com in a minute

posted by  6000LE

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/tiburon/specs/specs.asp

Those are on the old standard.

Take off about 5 horses from the 2.0L (133hp) and 6 horses from the 2.7L (166hp) and you have real world numbers o nthe enw rating system Toyota/Honda has adopted.

As for torque the 2.0L would make about 131tq and the 2.7L would make about 175tq if adjustied to the new system.

well by the old system the tiburon got good torque at a rather low RPM

posted by  6000LE

and thres a new standard? i havent heard of it
and because honda nad toyota adopted it doesnt mean that hyundai did
my dads 05 corolla pulls very well even at low RPM
but in numbers its rather weak

posted by  6000LE

Good torque for the class, low torque for the displacement and being a V6.

It's the new SAE J1349 standard. It lowers power, on this standard it puts power closer to wheel hp (still not close to dead on, overall about a 3%-4% decrase across the board over the old numbers). Look at the Honda and Toyota unchanged cars from 2005 to 2006, notice how all their power dropped. That's how you know if a company adopted it or not. Only other manufacturers that have adopted it to my knowledge is Porsche. All domestic companies are not adopting it (go figure) and the Korean companies are not either. Nissan said they "might". Hyundai definatley didnt, all their power is still the same from 05-06 on unchanged models and they havent announced they did adopt it.

the who what?

posted by  6000LE

Whats the question?

I like the Scion tC too. What other alternatives are there to it? The Civic Si?

posted by  seoulcityskin

The only scion id ever buy would be he tc. but there are so many better choices than that so its extremely doubtful i ever would.

posted by  GonnaDie4TheGov

well for its price i really cant think of anytihng else i would take
maybe a prelude
or a used Subari Impreza WRX STi but i dont know how much they are

posted by  6000LE

I'm not impressed by the tC.

posted by  Oomba

youre very hard to please
go get some maybe youll loosen up

posted by  6000LE

The tC isnt a very impressive car really. The only thing that's impressive is the low price, but you can tell where they cut corners to get there (engine).

im sure there will be a different engine sometime soon
i myself was a little shocked when i heard or a "camry sports car"

posted by  6000LE

http://www.zeropointindustries.net/products.php <-- turbo kits

http://www.zeropointindustries.net/projects.tc-t.php <-- I have personally seen this car, it absolutely destroyed a 400hp STi.

posted by  importluva

Either you're full of it or the STi wasn't racing.

That tC has no tranny mods, stock tires, lowering springs as its only suspension mods and is only pushing out maybe 350whp with nitrous. And you're trying to tell us it destroyed a 400hp STi? I call a big BS on this.

The STi has every advantage over even that highly modded Scion. It has more power (400 vs. maybe 350), a better tranny (strong 6spd vs. weak 5spd), better tires (sports tires and wider vs. stock Scion), AWD (vs. FWD) and a better suspension to boot. That Scion can maybe run low-mid 13s at best with those mods (Stock is mid 15). If done right a 400hp STi is easily running at least a mid 12.

http://scionspeed.com/videos/v120secrun.mpg

a 12 second run

posted by  6000LE

No, the STi owner is a good friend of mine and he confessed to me that he got beat bad. I would think the STi is pushing around 340ish (he's never been to a dyno) at the wheels, and the tC is considerably lighter...another possibility is that the tC has more done to it than that website says, that page might not have been updated to what the car has last month when it beat the STi.

But either way, the tC is quite capable of good numbers already. 350whp is considerable and more should come prety soon.

One thing against the white tC-t is that it is very ugly! :puke:

posted by  importluva

What does that have to do with what I just said about what import claimed?

The tC isnt "Considerbly lighter" than a STi. The Sti weighs in right below 3300lbs. A stock tC is right over 2900lbs, but with all the turbo equipment that should add a good 50lbs at least on top of that. So the tC has a 350lb or so advantage at best in weight (about a tenth and a half or two tenths in a 1/4 mile). So weight isnt a huge factor. Obviously the biggest advantage the STi has over the Scion is AWD vs. FWD. It would take at least a 450whp to keep up with a 400whp STi given they both have equal suspension mods and about the same tires. Either that website isnt up to date at all in modifications or something else...

What mods are done to the STi anyway?

Your Message