Ahh.. finally got my first car!

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Ahh.. finally got my first car!

I'm so happy with it... 1994 Honda Prelude Si 5spd. I'll let the pictures do the talking.
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2005/8/20/187/939/1726057346.187939655. IM1.02.565x421_A.560x421.jpg
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2005/8/20/187/939/1726057348.187939655. IM1.04.565x421_A.316x421.jpg
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2005/8/20/187/939/1726057349.187939655. IM1.05.565x421_A.443x421.jpg
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2005/8/20/187/939/1726057350.187939655. IM1.06.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

These were actually the pictures from the ad because I'm too lazy to take new ones.
Clean title, everything works, all maintenance done. Now I'm trying to learn the stick shift, and I hate those god damn hills. :p
Any suggestions for starting on hills?

Thanks
Matt

posted by  odds

congrats man the car looks good. As for driving stick i can't help you with that yet. I will be buying my first car soon.

posted by  V-Tec

Give it lots of gas then let the cluth out smoothly, not oo quickly, but definately not too slowly. That's what I did at first. Don't worry you'll get it :thumbs:

posted by  jedimario

For hills I usually let the clutch out enough so she starts rollin forward without stalling and then push it in a little and give er a good amount of gas(only 100hp lol) and let it out smoothly

posted by  99integra

I can't believe you Americans can have a full license yet not be able to drive manual. I would have expected you to have learned to drive manuals before you pass your tests!! Oh well I suppose each country do things differently.

Oh well for hill starts I was taught to use the handbrake to hold the car still, then release clutch to it's biting point(not fully) whilst adding a bit of gas. When you fell the car wants to move off then release the handbrake then slowly release the clutch. Very hard at first as you don't know how much gas to put.

Some people don't bother with the handbrake but I'd get nervous as the car rolls back slightly!!

Anyways have fun with learning how to drive your Prelude.

posted by  fudge

I like it.

Dont rice it.

posted by  Oomba

please

posted by  Slapshot

:stupid:

posted by  jedimario

I think you should rice it just to piss Oomba off :mrgreen:

Maybe something like this will make his day...
http://www.xtreme-tuning.com/imagenes/2004/tuning%20internacional/diciembre 2004/Honda%20Prelude-5.jpg

posted by  fudge

Congratulations...that's a nice car, and the last thing anybody needs now is a ricer :doh: :banghead:

posted by  chris_knows

on hills i have heard you can use the handbrake to keep the car still and then when you feel the clutch begin to engage let off the handbrake. or get a bumper sticker that reads "keep 10 feet away. car rolls back"
lol

posted by  6000LE

Nice car. :thumbs:

posted by  GreekWarrior

my dad had a hard time teaching me stick, but it was after he put me on an uphill that i actually got it. It was easier 4 me 2 feel the clutch and the whole contact thing. I guess everyone is different.

posted by  Walt

I was taught three diff ways to start on hills. The handbrake way, fudge was talking about, it's a big thing over in england (Law maybe?) that they have to engage the handbrake at all stops. Then the traditional, brake/clutch in, let clutch out then give gas. And then the less popular, brake till you're stopped, clutch in, then let it out till it bites enough to hold you, then balance clutch/gas to keep you in place. All of them work but my most used method is the traditional way. Or if it's REALLY steep, the clutch/gas balance.

posted by  Diomedes

Dodgy Yanks, huh? lol.

I guess it's because most of their cars are Autos. Do you guys have a seperate test if you only wanna drive an Auto?.... :banghead:

Nice car by the way :thumbs:

posted by  Cliffy

hahah, shit gotta find ona those :hi:
edit; thanks for the comments, i really spent a good long time lookin' for cars and finally found the right one. tomorrow will be the first day driving it to school, hehe.. we'll see how it goes!

posted by  odds

Yep, if you stall the car on the "auto" test you're ban from driving for life. :laughing:

posted by  GreekWarrior

nope, it's the same for both types here in SC. They will take points off if you stall a stick, but not much cause I stalled one during my test and still passed.

posted by  jedimario

I use the handbrake technique as it's way easier and safer. Also whilst waiting at the lights you can take your feet off the pedals and relax(when you put it in neutral). Law has nothing to do with this technique.

posted by  fudge

Nah all one simple 5 min road test. Remember...us yanks are lazy :laughing:

posted by  GonnaDie4TheGov

LOL...I know that.....bloody lazy Yanks :ohcrap:

posted by  Cliffy

Do they do the sudden stop test in the UK still? My dad grew up in england and he said what they would do is at some point on the test is tell you to stop, and you would have to stop as fast as you could without locking the wheels.

He failed his driver test 3 times in England and didn't get his license till he moved here when he was like 22 :thumbs:

posted by  Mathew

Emergency stop is what the manouvre is called and yes they can still tell you to do it during your test. Anyway they get you onto a quite road usually so you should know when it's coming. You're more likely to fail if you don't do your observation before you move off again.

posted by  fudge

The road test is 30-45 minutes long here. All the usual stuff; parallel parking, stall parking, reverse in a straight line, pull-overs, and danger spotting (they ask you to pull over and list all the possible dangers you see; ie driveway means a car can pull out unsuspectedly, or their is a bush on the end of the block that can block my view of cars stopped there.)

When i was learning stick, the hardest thing for me was the first time i tried to get the car moving. I learned in a very sensitive car; 2002 Acura TL-S, a tiny bit too much gas means stalling, a tiny bit too little means stalling, letting the clutch out a tiny bit too late or soon means stalling.

And for hills; it depends on how steep the hill is; if its only moderately steep, i would normally just stop behind the car in front of me with half a car length and hold the clutch+ brake, then when the light is about to change i let the clutch go slowly so my car is slowly rolling forward, and when the light changes, you get a good take off. On steeper hills; i use the emergency brake lever and let the clutch out slowly when the light is about to change, then when the light changes i let go of the e-brake and clutch quickly and gas a bit harder.

posted by  aerith

well, for driving tests i'm glad i don't live in the uk. :)
the prelude has been really fun these past few days.. i'm really getting attached to it. just gotta keep working on my starts; i can do them smoothly, but not as quick as i'd like. basically, i need to fine tune my foot to know exactly where the clutch-grab point is. mmm, fun stuff.

matt

posted by  odds

Your Message