manual?

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  manual?

planning on getting an acura rsx type-s next summer. yea, its a long way to go. lol. is driving manual easy? since during now till the summer i want to learn to drive manual and heard its hard and easy from lotta ppl...

anybody from queens, new york tat knows someplace that teaches manual driving, then tell me please.

posted by  kimimaru

It's pretty simple. I basically learned by watching people cause I'm more of a visual learner but it's pretty simple and gets easier as you go along the challenging part would be the hills though.

posted by  Spanky2324

its just accelerating in 1st or reverse that takes some learning. oh, and uphill without the car going backwards. you'll get the hang of it quickly if you're a fast learner.

u will mainly learn the most by parking the car, specially in reverse where u wont be able to cheat by looking at your feet to see how much pedal you're giving :wink2:

posted by  Inygknok

i woulda asked my only friend who has a manual to let me practice in his beat up prelude tat he got in a car auction. but it got flooded over the summer so i have no way of practicing. =T

is there a difference between 5spd and 6 spd? i think its mostly in the timing of the shift, but i could be wrong.

posted by  kimimaru

Its the number of gears thats the difference, thats all.

To start- Clutch in, turn key
To Go-Keep Clutch in, put in first, give it a little gas and increase giving more gas as you slowly let the clutch out.

Only difficult parts of driving a manual right there.

posted by  Oomba

The difference between a 5spd and a 6spd is.... 1spd. A 5spd has 5 forward gears while a 6spd has 6 forward gears.

posted by  Bino

Don't forget to push the clutch in when you stop (I've seen a lot of people who switch over from an AT to a manual neglect this step).

posted by  Bino

It's very simple. It's something that can be easily learned visually. Just have someone drive you around in a manual car and observe. That's the easiest way. Then have some trial and error runs. Just takes a little coordination.

posted by  thunderbird1100

it's pretty simple.. i just got a prelude 5spd and started learning to drive it 3 days ago. now i can drive smoothly and all i have to work on is starting on hills without rolling back. :)
gl!

posted by  odds

hmmm, sounds simple to start. but whats the speed range to change gears n stuff?

posted by  kimimaru

thats how cars stall right? when dont push clutch in when stopping?

posted by  kimimaru

When you stop you have to push in the little pedal you call a "clutch" or else it'll stall and/or buck until it stalls

posted by  99integra

Curious...how DO you start a manual while parked up hill?

posted by  Hostage

Umm, brake and clutch :screwy:

posted by  99integra

A very easy way to start on a hill... and prevent excessive clutch wear, is to set the e-brake, let the clutch out until you feel it just start to engage, then release the brake as you continue to engage the clutch. You don't need to rev the engine nearly as much as most people do when starting on a hill. Plus, you don't roll back at all. This process is most convenient in a vehicle with a center mounted hand e-brake. But I've done it with left-foot engage e-brakes as well.

posted by  Bino

He said how do you start on a hill :laughing:
To drive on a hill in traffic I use the panic method where i mash the gas in and drop the clutch :doh:

posted by  99integra

i noticed its all on cluthes and gas. but how bout the brake petals? is that even used as much. o.o

posted by  kimimaru

Today's drivers. :screwy:

posted by  DodgeRida67

LOL, no shit :banghead:

posted by  99integra

you use the brake to slow down. :)

posted by  odds

Theres nothing special you have do when breaking besides disengaging the transmission (clutching or taking it out of gear). I think thats what you meant by that question.

posted by  Oomba

yea tats exactly what i meant. since i never drove a manual b4 i didnt kno how to word it.

posted by  kimimaru

Your Message