engine swap

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  engine swap

Whats up, i was looking to maybe swap my engine on a 98 civic ex. What do you guys would be the best one for it also cheapest. :mrgreen:

posted by  ToshoRcing

i looked on jdm website but im kind of new to engine swapping just looking for some advice.

posted by  ToshoRcing

Swap an H22 out of a Prelude

posted by  Oomba

thx for the advice could u add more detail such as price :mrgreen:

posted by  ToshoRcing

**** the H22 get a B18a

posted by  99integra

I hope you mean the B18c. Because, why have 200 hp (or 220 JDM spec) with the h22 when you can have 160 with a b18a? Right?

posted by  Oomba

Well the B18a was in the Type-R integra and i love how smooth and responsive it is, just personal preferance

posted by  99integra

Wrong. The B18C5 was the engine in the Type R Integras. USDM and JDM versions.

posted by  Oomba

Okay then, the B18C5 is the one that I like, I can't get codes right :doh:

posted by  99integra

K20 or H22 would both be sweet!!!!! (Wish I could afford either one of 'em!)

posted by  elchango36

Now that we mentioned engine swaps, I started to wonder. Why not find a swap-able engine at a junk yard from another car? I mean the chances are slim, and even then it'll cost a lot, but it's definetely saving a bit.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

You spend more time looking for a usable engine and paying junkyard mark-up then you would buying off ebay or a honda forum.

posted by  Oomba

junkyards? maybe u could find somethng decent btw u guys know some prices for these engines

posted by  ToshoRcing

i was looking through the engines and i saw enchlagos SiR was like 1200 i look some for my car and its like 3500

posted by  ToshoRcing

On ebay H22's go for 1-3k

posted by  Oomba

1-3 is not bad, dam the shipping on that would be high, how many miles do they have on them

posted by  ToshoRcing

Usually around 30-40k depending on who you buy them from. Although after shipping and the cost , and installation time, I'd rather just get a Prelude. They look nicer as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-95-Honda-Prelude-Accord-JDM-H22A-V-tec-En gine_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQitemZ8003263830QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD VW

posted by  Oomba

i disagree on that look thing, thx for helping out :thumbs:

posted by  ToshoRcing

there are endless possibilities for swapping engines in a civic. the B series engines are the easiest swaps. the H22 is a very stout engine. we have 2 of them for sale where i work. also, did you ever think of buying a turbo kit? putting a turbo on an existing engine is easier than swapping a motor.

posted by  glagon1979

Early 90s h22 Prelude engine.

posted by  SlipKnoT

Definatley a B18b2 motor. Direct swap for the most part. 142hp and only about $800-$900 for a complete engine. Plus, it's the favored engine for turbo setups in the Honda world now :thumbs:

If you can find one though I suggest getting a B20z (from a 99-01 CR-V). Those had 145hp stock and some extra torque ver the B18B series.

If you plan on staying N/A but still keeping it cheap deifnatley go for a B16a1/a3. Those will run about $1600 for a complete engine and has 160hp stock.

posted by  thunderbird1100

The H22a4 USDM/JDM both had only 200hp. The JDM h22a Type-S had 220ps (or about 218hp), and costs much much more (a non Type-S H22a4 w/ tranny runs about $2000-$2200 and a Type-S is about a grand more at the cheapest).

The B18A1 came in the 90-93 Integra RS/LS/GS and had either 130hp (90-91) or 140hp (92-93). This is not a good swap because it's not OBDII.

The B18B1/B2 came in the 94-01 Integra RS/LS/GS and had 140hp.

The B18C came from the 94-01 JDM Integra SiR-G and had 180ps (178hp).

The B18C1 came from the 94-01 USDM Integra GS-R and had 170hp.

The B18C5 came from the 97-01 USDM (only) Integra Type-R and had 197hp.

The B18C6/C7 both came from the 96-01 JDM (only) Integra Type-R and had 200ps (or about 198hp).

And the reason why Civic swappers dont go for an H series motor is because they weigh quite a bit more than the B series motor does and sets off weight distribution a bit more. Needs the suspension to be retuned.

what years are you talknig about?

posted by  glagon1979

[QUOTE]Definatley a B18b2 motor. Direct swap for the most part. 142hp and only about $800-$900 for a complete engine. Plus, it's the favored engine for turbo setups in the Honda world now[QUOTE]

I dont know 142 doesnt seem like alot. If i got the h22, i would basiclly have to change my suspension right?

posted by  ToshoRcing

142hp is a bunch for starters in a 2500lb civic. You might only jump up 15hp, but think: you get a DOHC motor (over the SOHC D16), .2L more displacement plus you go from 107tq to 124tq. The B series motor is so easy to find mods for and is a much more worthwhile investment than modding a D series. Plus a B18b2 only costs about $800-$900 for a complete motor/trans. Which is over a grand cheaper than it would be for a H22a4. Plus you dont HAVE to buy tricky aftermarket mounts if you get the B series over the H series (H series motor mounts into 96-00 Civic will run you another $300-$350).

Yes, you would have to get basically new springs and shocks if you went H series because the front weight bias would be that much worse. And you cant just buy a pre-made spring kit for your civic, you'd have to find a perfect set of front/rears with the right spring rate (another costly option).

Not to mention motor/trans installation which any Honda/Acura place will charge you probably 25-50% more installation over a B series into a 96-00 if you install the H series (because it is more difficult). A lot of people do not realize this but the B series is actually a stronger built motor than the H series is and can actually handle more power and hold it longer.

Think: With the grand and a half you save getting the B18B2 you already have a grand and a half saved for a $3k turbo kit :thumbs:

And let me tell you a turbocharged B18b2 PWNS an N/A H22a4 Civic.

Well, 92-96 is the 1st generation of the H series motor.

Came in:

H22a1 = 190hp DOHC VTEC
H23a = 160hp DOHC non-VTEC

Your Message