Under-the-Hood Advice

Home  \  Asian Imports  \  Under-the-Hood Advice

Greetings,

This is probably my last thread for a while as I've been making them daily lately. I would like to do a little work under the hood. Money is not a huge issue, but I'm not rich so no engine swap will work for now.

My starting budget is around $1000 and will grow slightly since I work and I'm willing to save up. I would like to add a bit of power. What's the best way of doing it? My friend suggested the following: Fix up all engine plumbing and electrical stuff (110,000 miles on the car, I know it's usually if it's not broke, don't fix it but I'd rather just do it and save money later), engine block re-worked (no idea why), CAI, new spark plugs so that fuel and air mixture is the same (is this necessary?), then headers, exhaust, tranny etc.

I'm sure this won't give me like 200 hp, but I'm looking for a mediocre gain. Any advice on what to do, where to start? Any average estimate pricing will help. Thanks for your help.

Nissan_Altima

posted by  Nissan_Altima

same tihng im finding out for my car
lol

posted by  6000LE

What in the world is your friend smoking? I wouldnt take advice from him, as he clearly doesnt know anything if he thinks spark plugs have anything to do with fuel.

I'd suggest the basics, a CAI, new headers, exhaust, performance spark plugs and bigger wires. Then I'd consider getting lower compression pistons and a turbo kit.

posted by  Oomba

youre a tard
better plugs=better combustion=DIFFERENT fuel consumption (for better or worse)
youre a ****ing tough cookie :banghead:

posted by  6000LE

whew, that could've been a little more calm and neutral. :)
anyways... *whistle*

posted by  odds

he gets me quite mad.....im sure im not the only one on the forum that feels this way about him/her :2cents:

posted by  6000LE

It doesnt consume any more fuel you tool. It just makes a bigger explosion.

posted by  Oomba

Actually he can be pretty damn funny with his dumb ass antics sometimes :laughing:

posted by  99integra

bigger explosion.=more power you noodle

posted by  6000LE

Huh?

Actually, Oomba is a lot better these days. He's not as provacative.

posted by  hondaman

Yes. I know this. But it has nothing to do with fuel. At all.

posted by  Oomba

well then hgis friend is a noodle

posted by  6000LE

I think you can swap a fwd sr20 from a sentra se-r. Not too sure but check it out :2cents:

posted by  jzxTT

Any idea on the price? I'd expect around $3,000.

posted by  Nissan_Altima

please post here the convo we are having

posted by  6000LE

http://www.sr20forum.com/archive/index.php/ there is 2 fwd versions: sr20ve/s16ve . Your altima could be a beast. But also consider you'll be spending around 5k ( assuming you're going to mod your car). Why not buy a 240sx with an sr20det? Unless you want to "stand out of the crowd" I would recommend you just buy another car. If you're a nissan guy then why not get a rwd turbo car for less money with TONS of aftermarket support for around the same price? if not cheaper.

:2cents:

posted by  jzxTT

I agree. Might as well get the car itself with a good engine then spend that much on just the engine. Is there any 240SX that I can get around a $5,000 budget?

posted by  Nissan_Altima

HAH hell yea

posted by  99integra

i just couldnt help but laugh so hard when Oomba said the bigger explosion thing.... i can just imagine a little kid telling his mom, "mommy mommy, look at cookie go BOOM!"

posted by  Inygknok

Your Message